Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that usely when i get in the car and start it the dash lights up with theft system problem car my not restart! has anyone else had this problem and if so is it an easy fix. i just bought this car and no telling what the guy did to it since he was letting his drunk son work on it lol any sugestions would be apreciated!

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
i noticed that usely when i get in the car and start it the dash lights up with theft system problem car my not restart! has anyone else had this problem and if so is it an easy fix. i just bought this car and no telling what the guy did to it since he was letting his drunk son work on it lol any sugestions would be apreciated!
I had this message show up just 2 days ago, too. Luckily since I have an aftermarket remote start/alarm, I bypassed it.

But in your case, I'm told that the keys with the chip in them some times fail to register in the ignition. This can be caused by several problems, but the most likely is a bad wire in the ignition and requires replacing the ignition key circuits. One dealer told me that if I get the "Starter Disengaged" message after the "Theft Deterent" message, there's nothing you can do but have it towed to the dealership to be reprogrammed/repaired. I don't buy that.

If its a programming problem, One way around it is to put the key in, turn it on (don't try to start it) and leave the key in for at least 5 minutes, then start it. (The starter may not engage the first time so wait a couple seconds and try it again) My alarm guy said ignore whatever shows up on the DIC - leaving the key in with it on resets the ignition resistor.

If its a broken/disconnected wire, and you don't have an aftermarket remote start/alarm, you're screwed. If you don't want to pay the extortion at the dealership, its probably a good time now to get an aftermarket alarm (the bypass circuitry will workaround this problem and probably be cheaper than the dealership).

The only other suspect would be the infamous Cadillac electrical gremlins. If you've experienced other electrical problems/abnormalities, prepare yourself for trouble. Diagnosing electrical issues in these cars is a PITA, expensive, and more often than not - fruitless.

If your car does start even after getting the "Theft Deterrent" message and you say someone has been working on the car other than the dealership, you might want to take it in to the dealer and have them reset the theft deterrent codes.

Good luck to ya

·
Registered
1997 deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the only other electrical problem i have found is the alarm does not seem to work, the light on the dash that is suposed to flash in red reading "security" doesnt come on, only when you turn the key to on it lights up solid, never flashes, then after the car starts it goes out but never flashes when ya turn on or off the alarm by remote, im asuming the computer has disabled the alarm because of the anti theft issue, i have 2 keys 1 looks originial the other like a copy neither one makes a difference, i would think if their was a break in one of the 2 little white wires coming from the key switch the car would not start cause the computer would not be able to read the resisiter in the key, so i am going to asume it must be a computer problem,

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Simply GOOGLE bypassvats and read the first tutorial. Simple explanation with pictures!! leaving the key in for 5 min. so the code is reset is a myth. Most times its worn keys, worn ignition switch or failing VATS wiring in the column.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
do you have the remote keyless entry feature? If so it may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
1997 deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i have 1 remote and it works fine, i have pretty much ruled out the broken white wires or the bad key because the car allways starts and runs,
i am thinking mabey looking at the whole circut mabey their is somthing that is faulting, i ordered a factory service manual should be here this week. im thinking ,mabey their is somthing shorted that is causeing the computer to
shut down the security system. somthing other then the switch.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
To verify that the factory alarm is setting is to lower the drivers window then exit the car after pushing the power door lock button. Wait 15 to 20 seconds, reach in thru the open window and manually unlock and open the door. If working, the cars horn will beep and the headlights will flash. To stop the alarm, insert key in driver door and turn it to lock then unlock. There is no alarm light that flashes when the alarm is set like aftermarket systems do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts