Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the cars I have owned were rewarding in some form or another, so I don't regret having bought any of them, with one exception.

In 1985 the Audi 5000S was the auto press's most highly touted sedan. They couldn't say enough good about the cars. So in a moment of irrationality (I had many difference of opinions with the hacks at R & T and C & D over the years) I succumbed to the purchase of a new Audi 5000S Avant (wagon). As it turned ou the only good thing about it was its' physical design. The first week I had it it suffered from spontaneous engine rev and if in drive spontaneous accelleration (yes the brakes could hold the car back but this was annoying and dangerous) which was fixed by the replacement of the CPU. Next the car would start normally if cold or just turn off "hot", but if the car was left for half an hour it would crank, but refuse to start. This result in the Audi having to be pushed to the exits of highrise parking structures so the tow truck could pick it up and take it , once again to the dealer. Next the driver's window regulator broke requiring a $500. replacement .... subsequently all four window regulators failed, the two front ones twice each. The starting problem was never fixed despite numerous tries by Audi service under warranty. Then the radio antenna fixed to the rear of the Avant's roof broke requiring its' replacement to the tune of $500.00.

The Audi was never very enjoyable to drive, being slow and with the automatic a real slug. Handling was fine. It would cruise at 80 mph all day ... but it also took all day to get to eighty!

My biggest complaint was that Audis were marketed at Porsche/Audi dealers so you were expected to be happy to pay Porsche prices (read outrageous) to have what was essentially a gussied up VW worked on by the dealer.

I was stuck with this lemon for seven years because every year's $2000. in repairs (just to make it driveable) had to be amortized on a car that tanked in the resale market. I ended up selling it for what I spent to repair it in a year and was glad to be rid of it.

Fortunately, the Alfa Romeo 164 I replaced the Audi with turned out to be the best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
There aren't many cars I hate more than I hate cold war era VW's and Audis. I may not like the Corolla, but atleast they provide reliable, cheap and economical transporation for millions each day.

I wouldn't say I've ever owned a "bad" car. I've liked them all for many different reasons, some had their strong points & weak points.

·
Registered
2009 cts
216 Posts
1978 Buick Skylark. God I hated that car.! The car itself was alright.....but after being forced out of a Firebird and into THAT!..(because my Dad new the owner of the dealership )...I beat that car like no other!

·
Registered
2006 Infrared CTS-V
821 Posts
1987 Mustang GT with.... an automatic:eek: ( the ex had to be able to drive it). Only had that car about 10 months of which the dealer had it around 2 months (iirc), so down the trade in road it went.

·
Registered
2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)
290 Posts
The worst repair I have dealt with is the headgasket on my 97 Deville. The car had 127k on it so it was understandable. Prior I had been driving a 02 Saturn SL. I sold/gave it to my sister around 75k miles and at 80k miles the thing ate 2 transmissions, broke a motor mount and moans like your mother any time you start it up. The third tranny seems to slip a bit and hesitates but it still runs now at about 100k. It seems like it just hit a wall in its life and lost all respect for its self. Prior I had a 3.8L ford windstar that I ran on the raged edge and it never gave up. I spent absolutely 0 in repairs for the time I owned it, 100k -150k miles

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I've liked every car I've ever owned while I owned it, and loved most. But in hindsight I'd say the 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee was the least reliable lemon I ever owned, albeit one of the most comfortable. My least favorite would probably be the 84' Honda Prelude I had as a kid, with the 07' Ridgeline I bought a couple years ago coming in a close second.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I guess if we're talking about what car cost us the most money, for me it's the S-Class hands down. Good god was that thing expensive to own, but it was such a nice car. I'll own another at some point, it's definitely worth the trouble.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible, bought brand new. Red body/White top & Interior.

Car had 20 interior rattles & squeeks from "Day 1"
Power roof worked sometimes.
Both doors rattled IF you as mush as rode over a leaf!!
Selling dealer could not fix any of it.

Sold it after 8 miserable months and bought a 1967 Buick Gran Sport ...
had her for 3 years. never a rattle/squeek, leak and the top always worked, on demand. Sold 1967 GS for a 1970 Electra 225 Convertible. Another POS.
Struggled with it until 1972, when I defected to Chrysler Corp.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gee, Sandy I didn't know you had such a miserable time with GM products. No wonder you are such a booster of the late sixties, early seventies Chrysler products. When I saw that you had something to sat on this subject, I thought it was going to be about your early eighties' Imperial coupe.

So many folks seem to think cars were much better built "back in the day", but from what I experienced during that time, and the fact that we were saying the same thing back in the 1950's and '60's, cars are much better assembled today than they were back then.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chad, I don't consider the cost of owning a car to be the deciding factor in whether it was a good experience, or a great or bad car. One expects a real luxury car to cost more to maintain than a transportation car, but some cars, like the Audi, didn't deliver enjoyment commensurate with their cost and that linked with mundane component failure is definitely cause for a low rating.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, I suppose. Part of the reason that car was such a pain (in comparison to my 3 other cars, all GM made and designed) was because the parts were so hard to come by, as was good technical support that didn't cost and arm & a leg, and the fact it was so unusual to work on.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
99 Jaguar Vanden Plas. After the engine failed, luckily replaced under warranty, then I drove it cross country from MN to FL and the dealer in FL said the dealer in MN put the engine in wrong and damaged some cooling lines or some such BS, so the MN dealer shipped the car back up north to fix. Didn't give me much confidence in the car after all of this...but what the hell, a new engine = new car?! Wrong. A year later the transmission failed, six grand to fix what had quickly depreciated to be a 10 grand car. To this day I shake when I see Jaguars...as lovely as they drive and are sexy to look at, they are nevertheless pieces of poop. :)

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
In terms of driveability: '89 Hyundai Excel. Was OK around town, but on the highway, it seemed to struggle just to maintain 65 MPH. I still remember going up the grades between Phoenix and Flagstaff and the mountains east of San Diego, second gear, pedal to the floor, and barely doing 45 MPH. And the brakes were scary bad. Tiniest rear drums I've ever seen. I only kept that car 2 1/2 years; got rid of it as soon as I could afford something better.

In terms of reliability: '74 Toyota Celica. I bought it when I was in high school in December 1982 with 65,000 miles. It was pretty reliable until the summer of 1986; as it approached 100,000 miles, it seemed to have a nervous breakdown, with something new breaking nearly every week — or so it seemed. I drove it another 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles while finishing college and starting out on my own, but the car was never really the same after that. One reason I settled for the gutless Hyundai was the Celica was once again running poorly and I felt it was on its last legs, certainly not worth pouring any more money into. Interesting that with double the mileage, Cruella runs flawlessly and likely has many more good miles ahead of her.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
1972 Ford Gran Torino.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112902

Cons
-Puke green
-2 barrel carburetor
-4 door
-Valve seals were in pieces under the rocker covers
-The carb was a nightmare to adjust along with ignition dwell
-Cold starts took anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes
-MANUAL FRONT DISK BRAKES :eek:
-No A/C
-No heat
-No defrost
-Cracked windshield
-No head liner
-No carpet whatsoever
-Front seat was held down by C-clamps
-Lap belts only
-No gas gauge. Had to use a dipstick to check fuel level.
-One-speaker stereo with 8-track player (it was functional!)
-Rust Rust and more rust
-I had to tap the blinker manually or use hand signals

Pros:
-Price: $100
-Built like a tank
-Looks like a muscle car (from 500feet)
-Unique

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,627 Posts
'78 Ford Fairmont wagon. Dad bought it new then I got it for the wife when the kids were small. Replaced everything from the cam & lifters to the transmission yoke, one piece at a time. I found out what Fix Or Replace Daily meant. What a piece of junk!

D

·
0 Posts
1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible, bought brand new. Red body/White top & Interior.

Car had 20 interior rattles & squeeks from "Day 1"
Power roof worked sometimes.
Both doors rattled IF you as mush as rode over a leaf!!
Selling dealer could not fix any of it.

Sold it after 8 miserable months and bought a 1967 Buick Gran Sport ...
had her for 3 years. never a rattle/squeek, leak and the top always worked, on demand. Sold 1967 GS for a 1970 Electra 225 Convertible. Another POS.
Struggled with it until 1972, when I defected to Chrysler Corp.
Wow, a '66 GTO vert is the last car I expected to have mentioned here. My '67 Cutlass 'vert is a VERY reliable car. Even at 43 years of age I can count on it to take me where I want to go (beach usually, lol). :thumbsup:

D

·
0 Posts
Well I've been through many cars, well over 120. The worst overall car I've had was (drum roll please)...........my 1998 Cadillac Deville. It wasn't just because of the N* and the H/G failure. It was the fact that the car was not worth fixing, not financially nor emotionally. It was and felt cheaply built from the get-go. Why dump so much money fixing a car that really didn't please you when it was running good? If I loved the car it would have been fixed cost be damned but I was nowhere near that with the Deville.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I've enjoyed each of my vehicles and don't consider any of them "bad"

Most problematic would be my '96 Town Car, however it was an 11 year old car with 93k miles and mechanically neglected by the previous owner, so I can't really put the car at fault.... on the plus side, parts were cheap and it wasn't too bad to work on.

Really can't say much else about the others, any problems or issues were either a factor of the age/wear or enviornment. Nothing stands out as otherwise bad.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts