Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know our V's are faster than the M5 around the circle track and down the 1/4. But does the V have the top end compared to the m5 to hit 200mph first?

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
I read somewhere that the aero whold have to be tweaked ie... larger rear soiler, lower the front end...etc... Right now it's rev limited to 160. I had mine at or just above 150 mph... still had pedel to go...

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
I thought the Manual topped out at 192ish?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
Trying to remember what Top Gear got out of the 09 CTS-V at Bonneville last year. I think it was 186? If that is the case, and assuming it took 500rwhp to do it, you'd need another ~115rwhp.

Especially at places like Bonneville, the CTS-V's supercharged engine will give it a huge advantage over NA cars. Last Speedweek the DA was 6500', which drops a ton of HP from those without blowers.

Things like lowering, tire changes, etc, will make a large impact.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
I heard the automatics are governed at 175mph but there is no limiter on the M6 trans.

I guess I should find out.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
There have been SEVERAL customers that have gone over 200mph. Including a few in Dubai. Any vids showing over 321 KMH shows them hitting over 200..

I know for a fact that my car has seen it 2 times...

As for autos, YES stock form they are limited to 175. That dont mean they wont go faster with the limiter removed. They keep pulling VERY quickly all the way up...

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
Bonneville was limited to 1 mile. James got the cts-v to 163mph. the Z06 got to 176mph.

Getting to 200mph is tough. I got my 996 turbo to read 198 in NM. I was probably going a little over 190. You need a long straight! I got to 196 when a little dip in the road got me 198. Then a hill came up and I broke like hell. Also, the circumstances have to be right. Wind and tire pressure play a big roll. And the porsche gets up to 170 pretty easily, but after that it's pushing. The video of the beefed up cts-v automatic in dubay shows it gets to 195mph. It's also pushing it in the last 20mph. I'd say the M5 is a bit lighter and less wind resistance. I read it could do 205mph.

Hans.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
Bonneville was limited to 1 mile. James got the cts-v to 163mph. the Z06 got to 176mph.

Getting to 200mph is tough. I got my 996 turbo to read 198 in NM. I was probably going a little over 190. You need a long straight! I got to 196 when a little dip in the road got me 198. Then a hill came up and I broke like hell. Also, the circumstances have to be right. Wind and tire pressure play a big roll. And the porsche gets up to 170 pretty easily, but after that it's pushing. The video of the beefed up cts-v automatic in dubay shows it gets to 195mph. It's also pushing it in the last 20mph. I'd say the M5 is a bit lighter and less wind resistance. I read it could do 205mph.

Hans.
Thanks for the correction, I never saw the episode, and was relying on 3rd hand witnesses who were there.

Yep, there is huge difference between 170 and 200, you need to increase HP over 50% to pick up that last 30mph.

Unless you are clocking with lights or GPS long average, speedos seldom work well at those kinds of speeds. The tires actually slip as they rotate under the power. Think of a caterpillar walking, which is what the rubber does as it grabs and releases the asphalt. Shaving the tires would make the speedo read better, and lessen the chance of the tire exploding. To test for Bonneville this year, I submitted some Kumho? tires that were Y-rated (186?), at 215 mph they blew up like there was a grenade inside it. It cut through the steel belts, and opened like a flower, and that was even shaved. So much for "cheap" speed rated steel radials.

When I was clocked at 174.586mph at Bonneville, the GPS said 181, and the reported axle speed (engine RPM) was 188mph. The GM speedo reading freaked out, as it went back to 0 and started counting again when it hit 256kph (155'ish?).

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
There have been SEVERAL customers that have gone over 200mph. Including a few in Dubai. Any vids showing over 321 KMH shows them hitting over 200..

I know for a fact that my car has seen it 2 times...

As for autos, YES stock form they are limited to 175. That dont mean they wont go faster with the limiter removed. They keep pulling VERY quickly all the way up...
I tried to call today, but wasn't sure I got through. Call me at 951 270 0808, I'll be here another 30 minutes, or I'll try to call again tomorrow. I don't carry a cellphone, or I'd have you call that.

·
Registered
2009 CTSv & 2006 STSv + 1991 SHO
219 Posts
The Caddy in Top Gear did 163Mph in a 1 mile sprint, but the manual will top out at 191-192 ish according to GM

The Auto should do just aroudn 180ish from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
Crud, board ate my post. "Security Token Invalid?"

If 556hp = 192mph, then 617hp = 200.

Anyone run a CTS-V at the Texas Mile yet? Doesn't require a rollcage IIRC. My belief is if you can't do it in a mile, the speed isn't worth bothering with. Not practical to use.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977
210 Posts
The M3 only has 400 HP and it can do 203. If anyone with a V2 lives or visits Sweden, you can go to the SuperCar Shootout thing they have over there. I have heard that a government mandate requires speedos to read 5-7 MPH more than actual.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
65 Posts
The M3 only has 400 HP and it can do 203. If anyone with a V2 lives or visits Sweden, you can go to the SuperCar Shootout thing they have over there. I have heard that a government mandate requires speedos to read 5-7 MPH more than actual.
m3's and m5's are limit to 155 mph only in the usa...

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
M5 has one of the best top end accelerations I have seen, it pulls to 330km/h very smoothly.
M5s are limited but there's nothing an ECU mod wouldn't fix.

·
CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
424 Posts
I read somewhere that the aero whold have to be tweaked ie... larger rear soiler, lower the front end...etc... Right now it's rev limited to 160. I had mine at or just above 150 mph... still had pedel to go...
You read somehwere that the V needs a larger rear spoiler to reach a higher top end speed? Where? Do you realize a larger spoiler will increase downforce and most likely Cd? Also, as you add downforce the car lowers itself as speed is increased. A spoiler adds aero grip in addition to mechincal grip, but hurts top end.

That dont mean they wont go faster with the limiter removed.
Make sure you're close to a dealership so it won't be a long tow there.

The A6 is limited to 175 mph because it runs Vmax in 5th gear. 175mph happens to be the rev limiter in 5th. Running in 6th causes a clutch basket to spin faster than the output shaft speed and beyond the rated speed of the part. Nothing good will result when this occurs.

At the Nurburgring, the automatic car just touches 175 @ Tiergarten - which is the end of the longest straight and is actually uphill from Dottinger-Hohe till the bridge before Tiergarten.

When I was clocked at 174.586mph at Bonneville, the GPS said 181, and the reported axle speed (engine RPM) was 188mph. The GM speedo reading freaked out, as it went back to 0 and started counting again when it hit 256kph (155'ish?).
The CTSV M6 traveled an average of 191.2mph for an entire lap on GM's Desert Proving Grounds 5 mile circle track. Even with banking, it was pulling 0.3 G lateral continuous. On level straight ground, it would likely pick up ~3 mph.

The speedo was within 0.5 mph @ those speeds compared to 2 GPS units running during same test.

For export cars, the speedo reads 7% high - as required for those markets.

Mike

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
So Mike, what you are saying is, we should not put a 3.73 or a 4.10 gear set in an auto as it would lower that value down to about 136 miles an hour top speed??

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
Very interesting. So to get 200mph in the autos, you need to do one of three things:

Rear gear (are these even available?)
Reprogram and push the rev limiter up. Will it survive at 7100rpm?
Go up on the tire dia. Room will be a problem.

Possibly a combo of #2 and #3 would do it, but it would be real close.

But pragmatically, few racetracks will see 175mph by something with a license plate, and most venues that do allow higher speeds will require rollcages. Top Gear was permitted to test cars without safety equipment, but IIRC, they had to purchase their own event insurance. So public roads are the only place such speeds could be attained by most of us. At least in California, such speeds are treated much like a drunk driving arrest; 2 points and often license suspension.

Play safe out there. :bouncy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts