Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What about the "S" Button?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the consensus on this. Do you keep the "S" button on at all times or do you put it on only for spirited driving. I have it on all the time and found that I feel the CTS is sluggish otherwise. So I am curious as to what others do...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i drove with it on for about 2 weeks straight, then started to wonder about mechanical things. it feels like it might be harsher on the drivetrain and transmission even if you don't get on it all the time. in sport, mine seems to hold the downshifts out longer so you get that "nose dip" when letting off the gas and slight winding of the engine (as if you were driving a muscle car) before it finally downshifts. if i wasn't concerned about that i'd drive it all the time in that mode since i think it shifts better (i think normal mode is geared too low).

also, i think it definitely uses more gas...but that could just be me or my driving style...

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Don't worry about engine breaking. It does put stress on the drivetrain but no more than you would under decent acceleration. If sport mode would break something, GM wouldn't have made it an option.

And you are definately right about using more gas since it has high shift points and different fuel tables.

I have a manual so I'm always shifting at red line and engine braking before turns :lildevil:

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
The poll should have another option:

"Only at red lights when you are the first car"

Thats when I use it. :D

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Mine didn't come with an 'S' button, but rather an 'S' pedal. It's to the left of the brake pedal, and I noticed that if you turn off 'TCS', push the pedal on the right of the brake pedal (the 'GO' pedal) to the floor, then let off the 'S' pedal, the tires make a lot of noise and the car accelerates like a batouttahell.

If you wait to push the 'S' pedal momentarily when the tach shows 6500, pull the hand lever back, and release the 'S' pedal quickly, it chirps the tires again, and in a few seconds, the car is over the national speed limit. You can only do this once or twice more, then things start to fly by the window at uncomfortable speeds.

I like the 'S' pedal better than the 'S' button. :lildevil:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
odysseus said:
Mine didn't come with an 'S' button, but rather an 'S' pedal. It's to the left of the brake pedal, and I noticed that if you turn off 'TCS', push the pedal on the right of the brake pedal (the 'GO' pedal) to the floor, then let off the 'S' pedal, the tires make a lot of noise and the car accelerates like a batouttahell.

If you wait to push the 'S' pedal momentarily when the tach shows 6500, pull the hand lever back, and release the 'S' pedal quickly, it chirps the tires again, and in a few seconds, the car is over the national speed limit. You can only do this once or twice more, then things start to fly by the window at uncomfortable speeds.

I like the 'S' pedal better than the 'S' button. :lildevil:
Ah... the "S" Pedal... I like it too.. although it causes backache driving in traffic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use it most of the time, I like the responsiveness and the engine braking. I have the '06 manumatic so occasionally I'll row the gears and that's fun, especially on winding back roads where I can use the engine braking.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Only use it when I'm feeling "Spunky" really... Most of the time its when I'm at a light and I know that anal cavity next to me is trying to jump ahead. :batty:

·
Registered
292 Posts
tomm said:
The poll should have another option:
"Only at red lights when you are the first car"
Thats when I use it. :D
haha, thats usually when I use mine. Whenever my wife is with me and I hit the button when we are sitting at a red light she rolls her eyes and laughs at me. Women :helpless: :D

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
i used to before i realized how much gas it uses, mine dosnt really wind down the engine and hold the shift unless im doing some spirited driving. If im in s mode with regular driving, it just shifts a bit more jerkier.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
The only time I ever use the "S button" is when I'm at a red light and getting ready to show some punk in the next lane my "superior firepower". Otherwise I keep it in normal mode b/c personally I find the shifting in "sport mode" to be a little rough under normal driving conditions. I do like how it downshifts quicker in "sport mode" though.

On to a related note, though I avoid the "s button" I almost always shut off the traction control as soon as I get in. I have it assigned to one of the buttons on the DIC for easy access. Anyone else out there like to disable the TC?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts