Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending a couple of months with my Brougham, I've finally ended up with a fairly complete list of things that should be done to it. I've actually driven it quite regularly, and it has really responded well. I'm expecting to get everything--except for the last two items--on this list done by the end of January. (By "I" and "done" I mean that I will be writing the checks that pay for the work to be done. I'm not dedicating every waking hour of my life for the next three months to this project, but I do expect to do at least **some** of the work myself.)

The list:

1. Fix carburetor
  2. Repair whatever the hell it is that is leaking all over the driveway
  3. Check brakes; fix as needed
  4. fix/replace leaking windscreen
  5. Repair cracks in dash, cover with dash-mat
  6. Fix/replace peeling lacquer/covering on front passenger door and glovebox
  7. Remove and replace old purple tint on rear five windows
  8. Add oil-pressure and coolant temperature gauges
  9. Install xenon HID fog-lights
  10. New stereo, subwoofer
  11. Add keyless entry/trunk release/window control
  12. Steam-clean upholstery, new floor-mats front/rear
  13. Steam-clean trunk carpet
  14. Repair dings in driver-side rear door and quarter-panel, surface rust at roof-line
  15. Repaint entire car
  16. Replace cracked/faded/damaged badges and hood-ornament
  17. New tires
  18. fix headlight sentinel
  19. repair/replace auto-dimming mirror
  20. Re-chrome front/rear bumpers, passenger ashtrays, wheel-covers and hub-caps
  21. Retro-fit A/C??? Is this even possible?
  22. Rebuild/replace entire driveline
Any suggestions or comments?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Wow my list is short compared to yours:

1. Change oil or don't change oil until engine seizes and I can use that as an excuse to get a 500.
2. Or just get a 500.
3. Repaint entire car original color or dark blue with gold metallic flake accents.
4. Finish cutting floor mats out of carpet I redid the back deck with.
5. Replace speedometer cable.
6. Tint windows.
7. Choose what to do with the seats:
a. leave the good condition velour as it is
b. take out the front seat and weld in 2 Lazy boy recliners
c. get seat covers made out of this stuff:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davesdeville said:
Wow my list is short compared to yours:

1. Change oil or don't change oil until engine seizes and I can use that as an excuse to get a 500.
2. Or just get a 500.
3. Repaint entire car original color or dark blue with gold metallic flake accents.
4. Finish cutting floor mats out of carpet I redid the back deck with.
5. Replace speedometer cable.
6. Tint windows.
7. Choose what to do with the seats:
a. leave the good condition velour as it is
b. take out the front seat and weld in 2 Lazy boy recliners
c. get seat covers made out of this stuff:
Heh. Well, my list could be longer. I have so far resisted the impulse to make the car 100% show quality. I don't know how much longer I will last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
KVN-

Here's some advice. Take it if you want. I have worked on these old Fleetwood Broughams for many years.

Re-chroming - I would just get a new set of wheel covers at a junkyard. They can be found in good condition and cheap. If you have locking wire wheels, you can pop out the locknuts and use them on your new wheel covers. Most other chrome small chrome parts are not worth much effort. They can be had for cheap.

Retrofit A/C - You may not have to do this.

Repair dash cracks/dashmat - Or just replace the dash cover. That dash cover is interchangeable with many years and models of this car. Buy a new dash cover, mount it on, then do the dashmat if you want.

Fixing headlight sentinel - this is one of two things. Either your sensor is bad or the module is bad (i.e., the rheostat). The sensor is a simple repair. To test this, start the car with the sensor covered and the switch on "sentinel". If the lights don't come on, then the sensor might be bad. The sensor is located under the grille for the left-side dash speaker. If it's the rheostat, the lights will come on, but will not turn off. Either re-adjust the rheostat, or replace the whole module. Anything else is a module problem. Take off your instrument panel bezel and pull out the whole system. It is only two screws. Can be replaced with one from many different year Cadillacs.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts