·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
A 5-Series
A 7-Series Executive Limousine
"THE" Mercedes-Benz "Popemobile"
and the new BMW X5 SUV

It's a shame that he doesn't have the two best !
Ford needs to ship him a Town Car Designer Series of 2006
and GM needs to ship him a DTS Luxury Package II - 2006.

The Pope deserves to have the best ! The head of Israel has a
Seville STS,like a 2002 or 3. Mabye if the Pope comes back to Israel
again he can have a look at it !!

Hey, Mccombie, maybe you'd like to get him a new Jag XJL Super 8 Limo ?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Agreed, but remember hes German, so he'll say "das ist ein Lincoln, und das isnt ein Cadillac! Das ist night so gut, weil sie sind Americanish"

(translates to: that is a Lincoln! That is a Cadillac! That is not so godd because they are American) Remember he isnt used to the "comfortable" ride of American cars, hes been bred on BMWs

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
poor guy, never rode in a real luxury car before. take that back he has rode in Benzs.
A European Benz is like a racing car compared to a Cadillac or Lincoln though.....

American luxury can be somewhat wallowy on European roads..........

Its great in America, you have long straight raods and curves that can take 10 minutes to go around.......

I dont know how most Europeans would react to an American car......

I can because they are Cadillacs, and therefore i can justify one, because i have driven American cars, (Lincolns and Cadillacs) with my uncle for years, and i love them, most people here wouldnt be able to deal with the plough on understeer........

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
A European Benz is like a racing car compared to a Cadillac or Lincoln though.....

American luxury can be somewhat wallowy on European roads..........

Its great in America, you have long straight raods and curves that can take 10 minutes to go around.......

I dont know how most Europeans would react to an American car......

I can because they are Cadillacs, and therefore i can justify one, because i have driven American cars, (Lincolns and Cadillacs) with my uncle for years, and i love them, most people here wouldnt be able to deal with the plough on understeer........
yeah i know but it cant be no worse than the CTS can it? i havent drove too many Benzs, but the ones i have driven have been actually quite nice. nothing compared to a Cadillac or a Lincoln, thats true luxury. i hate bmws.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
yeah i know but it cant be no worse than the CTS can it? i havent drove too many Benzs, but the ones i have driven have been actually quite nice. nothing compared to a Cadillac or a Lincoln, thats true luxury. i hate bmws.
I was recently reading a review of a Cadillac CTS (2.8?) and the title of the article was: "Two tonnes of fat arsed American, that you could almost live with"

They liked it, but as refined as it was, and as well built as it was, it just wasnt as good to drive as a Benz or Beemer, and as much as they liked the styling, the build isnt really up to scratch, it isnt Cadillacs fault us over here in Europe are fussy LOL

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, America cant make a car for European roads. This is why Cadillac failed when the STS came here, hopefully since the Cadillac BLS was announced to be a Saab platform it will be a better drive.

By our standards, even the CTS is a boat........

Its a shame because i would love Cadillac, Lincoln and Even Buick (it could take the place of now dead MG Rover) acheive success here........

But i dont think they will ever make ti big enough here..... Cadillac is making a good start though. With the BLS. I just dont think the XLR, CTS and STS will sell that great, even with uprated dampers, they cannot cope with roads here......

·
Registered
549 Posts
I do not blame him for not driving a Cadillac or Lincoln. The roads overseas are not as forgiving as our roads here in the USA. Every 6 years I ship my father a new Deville, the last one being a 1999 Concours (he does not want another). He also has a 1985 Mercedes 500 SE that he purchased new. The Mercedes has five times the mileage of the Cadillac and is holding up much better. I have to ship him new struts and various suspension parts every 2 years for the Cadillac. THe Mercedes is still on the original motor and transmission (does burn a little oil now), but the Cadillac is on its second transmission. The Cadillacs brakes tend to overheat going down the mountain compared to the Mercedes. My father has not driven in 13 years, but his driver says he would rather get in the Mercedes than the Cadillac if they are making a long trip.. just because he knows the Mercedes can take the stress. Last but not least, when I am driving the Cadillac on the "Autostrad" over there, the speed limiter is annoying when European cars are flying up behind me with flashing lights and honking horns because I am holding up traffic. From my experience, if you drive a Cadillac or Lincoln overseas, it is for pure status.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Leloz said:
From my experience, if you drive a Cadillac or Lincoln overseas, it is for pure status.
Yup, all four of them, England is MUCH worse than the rest of Europe on the road front too, i drive Cadillacs because i like being different, and they are here, but now the CTS and the XLR are here it isnt so different.

I fell in love with Caddys in the early - mid 80s when my uncle had them in his fleet, never had the balls to buy one before 1999 because it would have been my only car, and if i hadnt of liked it i would be stuck with a two tonne left hand drive behemoth.....

After the ESV is gone it may be a while before i get another new caddy, my wife, however, is considering a new DTS for when she replaces her DHS next year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts