Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As some of you might have read my 2002 Deville went thrue an ordeal that finally was way smaller than I first thought, still 1k :(

My question is being a Caddy lover and that it is a winter car only is there a more reliable one that you would suggest ? Of course I understand that I'll buy a used car and it that it will still need maintenance and also that it would be nice to buy a new one, anybody have a suggestion ?

Thanks for your suggestions everybody

AlainCadillac

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
There is no "perfect Cadillac" for winter - or any other motor vehicle, for that matter. They all require care and feeding and all are not equal when it comes to snow work. If you're concerned about snow time, a 4 X 4 F-150 with aggressive winter tires is a good plow truck. Cars struggle in deep snow - ALL cars.

"Cadillac" and snow/ice are not items that fit together.

When this happens, the STS stays in the garage - find the driveway - the F-150 went through this 18" like it wasn't there. (we live on 2 acres, 0.5 mile down a private gravel road, so plowing is not something we do often)

Attachments

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
Yes, a Suburban, Tahoe or some other upscale giant GM SUV 4WD would be just fine (with the right tires).

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yeah, these cars are pretty impressive in the snow for what they are.

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably my question wasn't clear,

I don't need a car that work well in snow, the wife drive a 4 x 4 Jeep and if needed it is available and for summer I own a Longhorn 3500 Ram to haul the fifth wheel. What I really meant was which Cadillac is one of the most reliable ( iron horse ) if well taken care of course. I just don't want to go thrue a $3000 fix like my 4.6 liters might need anytime, I would rather invest in a newer car but which one ? I really love the Caddy luxury, look and ride so I would like a more reliable one and no I don't look in Ford :ti

Thanks for your input everybody !

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Generally anything with a 4.9 will be the least expensive to maintain. The newest vehicle being a '95 Deville (non Concours). It's not that the newer/Northstar equipped models are any less reliable, it's just that the older ones have less equipment to fail, and the Northstar, when it does have issues, it's more expensive to repair.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
want a reliable car go go buy a buick
just never buy a ford
over the years I've had 4 Buicks and several Ford products. Two of the Buicks were POS. No problems with the Ford products, one of which was an F150 that made it to 245,000 miles before the engine was opened, and then made another 50K before we sold it. Besides my DeVille I currently have an F150 with 129K miles and a Mercury GM with 145K; I wouldn't be afraid of taking either one on a road trip. For that matter (as much as I love the DeVille) if i were going to travel across the sticks I'd likely take the Mercury, because Ford parts are probably more available than DeVille parts in Poto, OK or Quanah, Tx or Tucumcari, NM

·
Registered
81 supporter
459 Posts
ive had 2 buicks one of them was a 92 park ave witch i drove from 21 yrs never had any problem with this car besides the normal wear and tear when i got rid of it it had 290k on it alway used synthetic and change it every 2k ( anal ) i also have a 2008 ford 500 ( the car ) witch i just picked it back up from the dealer again yesterday to have its second rear end installed, its on its third transmission, the first trans went at 30k one of the ball joints just about fell out of it at 98k, 2004 f150 60k needed to have the intake gasket replaced and then again at 90k the whole front sub frame thingy that holds the radiator assembly in completely rotted out and had to be replced the trans went at 110k also have an 2008 ranger witch need ball joint at 10k, 2003 deville 60k replaced all 4 struts, had to replace the heater blower twice , replaced air pump in fender, replace intake plenum boot 3 window regulators all 4 tire press sensors air pump for the rear shocks, constantly chasing down engine light problems and every time it rains i have a swimming pool in the trunk, 2006 honda oddessy 120k never had a problem NOTHING
all that being said id take a buick or a honda any day over a ford or another caddy

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Submariner409 said:
............................. Garage Queen ..................................................... Winter Workhorse.....................
Absolutely gorgeous sub =)

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
beautiful pix, Sub, but seriously, you need to drink better wine than Franzia in the box :stirpot:
Spaghetti wine. Referred to as "aboxo" by a grand daughter - as in: "Get aboxo wine !".

(I regularly spend a small fortune on good wines. We're pretty eclectic here, so it runs the worldwide gamut from table wines to OMG !!!) Other than wines, Karen gave me a bottle of Balvenie Single Barrel 15 for Valentine's Day. Yummy.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
I've heard of Balvenie but never tasted it. Is it really 96 proof? Most of the folks here in east Texas don't even know what single malt scotch is. If I want a single malt, I have to drive the 90 minutes to a decent liquor store in Dallas.

for table wines, we've lately been exploring Australia and Chile. Lindeman's bin series cab & merlot are a bargain. When we need "aboxo", Almaden is good with Ragu.

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
Dig (deeply) into some Concha y Toro (Chilean) wines.

Spaghetti wine ? Look into the Rene' Barbier Mediterranean (SE Spain) wines. Dirt cheap and right decent.

Small batch Scotch varies in proof according to the taste of the Master Distiller.

Thread hijack, anyone ? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
oops. sorry, I didn't intend to hijack a thread. Concha y Toro Casillero Del Diablo Carmenere or Cabernet is great, esp. if you can find a 2007 or 2008. Goes well with a nice ribeye.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
As far as perfect Caddy goes you're not going to find it. 94/95 Devilles with 4.9 more reliable and cheaper to fix but they're at the age that you'll get age related repairs. Maybe not a grand in one shot but you can get a few things go one after another. Same for the rear wheel drive cars when the newest of those is almost 20 now too. Since have that 01 already unless it's a lemon just keep driving it. Unless you go brand new anything you get can have problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts