Cadillac Owners Forum banner
641 - 660 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
American Classics are absolutely big car correct and beautiful looking!

BUT

I’m having big trouble with two sets of 1.3” whitewall 215/75-15 American Classics purchased about two months ago for my 1979 Sedan deVille d’Elegance and 1982 Buick Electra Park Avenue diesel. Both cars aligned when tires installed, and both cars mechanically tip top.

The first day both cars rode magnificently! The next day after installation the Cadillac mysteriously had a wild wobble on one of the front tires. As of today the one very problematic tire is puzzlingly a little less wobbly but now all of the rest of the tires are unsatisfactorily unsmooth. I think I’ve driven the car less than 300 miles total with these tires.

The Buick isn’t driven as much, and today I took it for a 90 mile round trip and ALL of the tires were shockingly much more wobbly than the Cadillac's, and one of the tires was wobbling so bad I stopped on the side of the road and put my handy cordless impact wrench on the wheel to be sure the wheel wasn’t going to come off! They were not loose at all. I have put less than 200 miles on the new tires on the Buick.

Until I read this thread today I was about to get both sets of tires rebalanced, and check the alignment again, and whatever other hoops necessary to jump through to get to the bottom of this annoyance.

I will call the tire dealer tomorrow and we’ll see what happens. All part of the fun!

Oh, by the way...

Cadillac was previously wearing a set of narrower whitewall Kuhmo tires which were on the car for NINE years and about 50,000 miles and were still glass smooth riding.

On the Buick I took off a fabulous silky smooth riding set of 4 year old and under 5,000 mile Runway Enduro 1.3” whitewall tires which I only replaced because the American Classics whitewalls are spaced more similarly to the OEM tires I see in the sales brochures. Luckily I still have these Runway tires!

I am coping with this situation this evening with many cocktails, hopeful for a satisfactory solution. :)

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
1,097 Posts
I think the newer tire balancers do a better job than the older ones that vibrate while spinning the wheels. My usual shop has the old style and I had to get my tires balanced at another shop with a newer balance machine. There is always the Hunter road force balancing for problem cars. I wonder if your tires were balanced on an older machine.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,746 Posts
Proper tire balance is a must.

I just bought a new tire from a tire kingdom, a "house brand" whitwewall in 235-75-15 S or T rated. WW is the same size as my Hankooks of the same size (it is for my 1968DVC). There is a little red and yellow dot on the tire and you are supposed to put that yellow dot where the valve is. The mounter didn't do that and the weights were excessive. I brought this to the manager's attention and he confirmed what I stated, and they remounted the tire properly, only 2 small weights ended up being needed.

Reactions: cadillac_al2

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,746 Posts
A few choices are now available in size 235-70-15 for our beloved Fleetwoods:

These guys have several options in our size. Check out the red links at the bottom:

Also available from amazon:

NO MORE EXCUSES. CHANGE OUT THOSE FUGLY BLACKWALLS!!!

One last thing. Vitour is a South African company. I was worried that it was chicom, but its not. A couple good reviews, no bad ones. They make that Galaxy in a variety of sizes, some even to fit vw beetles!

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
12 Posts
I just got new tires for my 96 Fleetwood Brougham. I got a set of four Hankook H724 all seasons, size 235/75R15, 108S white walls delivered right to my local Firestone for $64.61 each off Amazon. I realize they aren't 70 profile but the difference is not worth getting a Chinese tire IMO. Plus they have a 108 load rating. They aren't old stock-they are date coded sometime mid year 2019 (I'm not right by the tires and I can't remember exactly but it was early in the latter half of 2019). The white wall is the perfect size. I still can't get over the price-I think that's a great deal for any set of tires with delivery (free for Amazon Prime members).

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
12 Posts
Hi Cheesehead

Any chance of posting a few pictures.

Tom
Here’s a picture of the tire on one of the rims. I was in the middle of doing a full brake job and more (calipers, rotors, pads, front wheel bearings, shoes, drum brake spring kits, brake cylinders, drums and other stuff) when the tires were delivered to Firestone so I don’t even have them on the car yet. Once I get them on the car, I’ll post a few pictures of that too.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
12 Posts
So 235/75r15's are still very common but 235/70r15 is extinct except for expensive Vogues and Cokers. Still a sad subject.
I agree, it is a sad subject but at least there is something available that is a known brand name that comes close that is not either $1,000 for a set of tires (like the brands you mentioned) or some obscure brand. Milestar, Nexen and Vitour tires might work just fine but until I started looking for white wall tires for my car I'd never heard of these brands and I'm not going to be the guinea pig to try them. I had Hankook tires on a 2012 diesel Jetta I used to have and put just over 100,000 miles on them (the vast majority highway miles-but I still thought that was impressive). I would like to point out that, at least from a well-known brand name perspective, white wall tires aren't even common in the alternate size I just purchased. I don't know of any other common manufacturer of tires besides Hankook that makes a white wall tire in 235/75R15. I hope I'm wrong-please tell me if I am. Either way, I hope they don't stop making them.

I did my research concerning tire size by going here and comparing the measurements and how much it will throw off the speedometer: Tire Size Calculator.

It appears that the ideal size by diameter is actually a 225/75R15 but these are large cars. I personally place the proper width and load rating above outside tire diameter (within reason) from a safety aspect. I will provide pictures once the car is on the ground with the new tires-hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
828 Posts
I just got new tires for my 96 Fleetwood Brougham. I got a set of four Hankook H724 all seasons, size 235/75R15, 108S white walls delivered right to my local Firestone for $64.61 each off Amazon. I realize they aren't 70 profile but the difference is not worth getting a Chinese tire IMO. Plus they have a 108 load rating. They aren't old stock-they are date coded sometime mid year 2019 (I'm not right by the tires and I can't remember exactly but it was early in the latter half of 2019). The white wall is the perfect size. I still can't get over the price-I think that's a great deal for any set of tires with delivery (free for Amazon Prime members).
Cheesehead

Nice looking car!! The whitewalls and tires look great. I think that is the best solution. Whitewalls are a must on Caddy's. Like you, I have a problem buying those Chinese 70 tires. The only place that sells them are in CA and on ebay. What am I going to do in NH, 3000 miles away, if I have a problem? I am also not paying $700 to $800 for the high end tires. I have a set of Caddy chrome wheels that I plan on using.

My 94 is also white, but not a Brougham. I bought it in October, good body and engine. I figured it would take me till the end of the summer to do the little things that it needed and go over it head to toe.

Here is the link to my posting when I bought it.

thanks

Tom

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi Jason

Actually, WalMart and I'm assuming Sam's sell the tire that "Cheesehead" bought for the same price. There's WalMart's everywhere, so there would be good nationwide service.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
12 Posts
Hi Jason

Actually, WalMart and I'm assuming Sam's sell the tire that "Cheesehead" bought for the same price. There's WalMart's everywhere, so there would be good nationwide service.

Tom
I never thought to check Walmart, Tom-you make a great point about the service availabilty. I'm in a unique situation where I've known my Firestone manager and tech (actually a wife and husband) for almost 20 years on a personal level so I never go anywhere else. It's nice knowing you have two trustworthy Master ASE Certified mechanics as such good friends. Extra bonus points-they only live six houses south of me so I've been able to lean on them quite a bit over the years! I suppose I'm among friends here too so I may as well introduce myself; my name is Adam and it is a pleasure sharing this interest with you all.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,583 Posts
I know WalMart is low on many people's lists, but they have decent inexpensive tires (especially for older cars), and their tire centers are pretty good. Tom makes an excellent point about warranty just about everywhere in North America, there is a WalMart in every town. Mexico straight up to Alaska.

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
108 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Suretrac Power Touring tires? Came across them on a '90 Brougham in a youtube video and they have the 1.5" WW plus come in 235/75R15. I currently have 225 75R15 Runway Enduros on my car but they are about 6 years old. Also I've heard talk they are discontinued but I haven't yet tried to replace them.

Here's an amazon link I found:
Amazon.com: set of 4 new 235-75r15 suretrac wide white walls 1.5" classic touring: Automotive

Thoughts?

·
Registered
828 Posts
235 75R15 are truck tires, and they look it. 225 75R15 whitewall tires are still available, are they the correct tire for your 90 Brougham?

641 - 660 of 685 Posts