Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope Cadillac does something nice to the CTS next year or I might be going back to a Lexus. The new IS is very sweet and it comes with a 306 HP Engine and the interior is very nice.

Just saw the commercial and went and checked out the site: http://www.thenewis.com/

·
Registered
998 Posts
I like the 300+ hp, but Lexus has done nothing to really impress me with their styling. The new GS looks like an expensive version of the maxima. There is nothing unique about the lineup that would differentiate it from Toyota.

Currently, I feel that the new 3-series is the strongest competitor in the current market. I was never a BMW guy, but the new styling is really growing on me.

I wouldn't be trading up my CTS for the IS,... now a new 5-series may be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I think that new IS is a great car. Quick 1/4 as evidenced by Car&Driver. 13.7 1/4 I think? Even though the same test got a 15.2 for the CTS, a high 14 for the BMW and a 14.6 for the Volvo S60R (I personnally pulled a 14.1 Stock and I'm no professional). The new IS will be sporty, luxurious, and sexy all in one package. I've always been a fan of Lexus. I like big luxurious cars. BUT...

Isn't it strange that Caddilac has to prove itself in the sport sedan world, and even after proving itself, people still give it shit (magazines and tv shows). Yet everyone is allready saying this Lexus is a BMW beater, and nooone has really tested it yet? Seems a little biased....

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
This thread would serve well in the Lexus Forum. "Trades Cadillac in on a Lexus!"

Sorry, I to patriotic to buy an import. Some of them are very impressive but then so are our cars. If I couldn't have a Cadillac I'd look at the Lincoln LS V8.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the problem with the CTS is that there are too many of them now. I see them everywhere I look and if the re-design is pushed back even further to the 2008 models released in 2007 that would mean that the CTS will look identical from the 2003 to 2007 models. Thats 5 years of the exact same body and its no fun when your car is not unique anymore. I hope the CTS re-design comes sooner and comes with a faster engine because seeing the new 3 Series and the new IS makes me itch for a new car.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
RobertCTS said:
This thread would serve well in the Lexus Forum. "Trades Cadillac in on a Lexus!"

Sorry, I to patriotic to buy an import. Some of them are very impressive but then so are our cars. If I couldn't have a Cadillac I'd look at the Lincoln LS V8.
Don't we have to hold GM accountable if they don't give us a car that competes, yet costs the same? I don't believe that this Lexus will be what the magazines are saying it should be. But I'll always buy what gives me the most bang for buck. IE, a great Caddy CTS.

I'm glad the CTS is available for ya Bob, because the LS is a pile of horse-rectum-expulsion. 280 hp, 286 lbs-ft, V8 and a best of 14.6? It handles well, thats impressive. MPG tho? It's 4-5 mpg worse on the highway then the Cad. The interior is pretty blaw, but the same can be said for the Cad.
How can Ford call the LSV8 a sport sedan with NO MANUAL? AND ,it's looked nearly identical since it came out in 2000. The best soundsystem may be THX certified, but the sub is horrible when pushed with a stock amp, and the highs are pretty sharp. And the speed sensitive steering lacks the feel of a could power/speed sensitive steering system. Not that I've drivin' one tho...;)

I'm glad the Cad is available. I love it. That new Lexus will still be nice tho, and no matter what we think, It will steal sales from the CTS.

·
Registered
543 Posts
RobertCTS said:

Did you know that the CTS transmission is made in France, engine in Canada,
VVT comes from Aisin of Japan, rear diff from Germany, and the Nav (same as Infiniti) from Japan?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm a dedicated CTS owner and as patriotic as anyone, but you have to admit that Lexus wins hands down in terms of instrumentation.

I like the CTS way better in terms of overall styling, but the instrumentation remains a weakness for the CTS. Just about every car in the 35k to 45k class is better in this category, especially Acura and Lexus. The only exception is the Infiniti G sedan.

One big weakness of the IS350 might be size. Quite honestly, I'm not sure about the new IS350, but when I test drove an older model (IS300), it seemed way too tight and small for me, and I'm not that big (5'10'' 170lbs).

By contrast, the CTS felt much more comfortable than the 3 series, G sedan and IS300.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SilverCTS said:
I'm a dedicated CTS owner and as patriotic as anyone, but you have to admit that Lexus wins hands down in terms of instrumentation.

I like the CTS way better in terms of overall styling, but the instrumentation remains a weakness for the CTS. Just about every car in the 35k to 45k class is better in this category, especially Acura and Lexus. The only exception is the Infiniti G sedan.

One big weakness of the IS350 might be size. Quite honestly, I'm not sure about the new IS350, but when I test drove an older model (IS300), it seemed way too tight and small for me, and I'm not that big (5'10'' 170lbs).

By contrast, the CTS felt much more comfortable than the 3 series, G sedan and IS300.

The old IS300 sucked and it was small. The IS350 is longer and wider and the interior has much more room. I looked at the IS300 and I hated it. Sales have also suffered on the IS300 which forced the total redesign of the new IS350.

I kind of think of the old IS300 just as I thought of the old cadillac Catera - Yuk. Re-designs are a good thing if done properly and Cadillac hit a home run with the CTS and I am betting that the IS350 will be the same for Lexus.

·
Registered
558 Posts
tomm said:

The old IS300 sucked and it was small. The IS350 is longer and wider and the interior has much more room. I looked at the IS300 and I hated it. Sales have also suffered on the IS300 which forced the total redesign of the new IS350.

I kind of think of the old IS300 just as I thought of the old cadillac Catera - Yuk. Re-designs are a good thing if done properly and Cadillac hit a home run with the CTS and I am betting that the IS350 will be the same for Lexus.
It is hard to justify any argument that suggests the CTS has better instrumentation...

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
darrelld said:
Did you know that the CTS transmission is made in France, engine in Canada,
VVT comes from Aisin of Japan, rear diff from Germany, and the Nav (same as Infiniti) from Japan?
We already know that. We are in a world market true. My Dell computer has parts from Maylasia and China. But I can control the name brand. I won't be driving any Yamahonda even if its made here and profits go back to the mother land. We lost to many American lives to many of these countries. I no longer hate them but I won't be fattening their wallets.

·
Registered
160 Posts
RobertCTS said:
We already know that. We are in a world market true. My Dell computer has parts from Maylasia and China. But I can control the name brand. I won't be driving any Yamahonda even if its made here and profits go back to the mother land. We lost to many American lives to many of these countries. I no longer hate them but I won't be fattening their wallets.
Bob,

Some foreign companies are more American than some American companies. I work for an American company that is in the process of outsourcing ALL manufacturing and components to China. It's deemed necessary when your competition is doing the same thing and killing your bottom line. Pretty soon an American company is going to be a CEO and some purchasing managers orchestrating everything run out of China or India.

Regarding the IS350..put a 6 speed manual in it and I'll buy it. I sure wouldn't be surprisd to see Lexuses made in the US in the near future...if they aren't already.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've found lexus' new AWD Manual option approach to thier new cars rather strange.

You can get a manual, but only on the base model, you can get AWD, but only on the base model...

I would love to see a car with the style of a CTS, the performance of the g35x, with the manual of a BMW 3 series....

Who's gonna make my car?!

Audi almost has it... a little more edgy styling and i'm thiers (s4 mmmmmm)

·
Registered
543 Posts
SilverCTS said:

I am 6'3" 205lbs and space issue has me concerned too. The new IS350 hits the dealers in the next few weeks and I have been invited for a test drive.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
bladehack said:
Bob,

Some foreign companies are more American than some American companies. I work for an American company that is in the process of outsourcing ALL manufacturing and components to China. It's deemed necessary when your competition is doing the same thing and killing your bottom line. Pretty soon an American company is going to be a CEO and some purchasing managers orchestrating everything run out of China or India.

Regarding the IS350..put a 6 speed manual in it and I'll buy it. I sure wouldn't be surprisd to see Lexuses made in the US in the near future...if they aren't already.
I understand what you're saying Bladehack. Like I said, I know my Dell and CTS have forgein poop in them but Brand Name means a lot to me. It an image that you project about yourself. It's the only thing I have control over.
You don't see a lot of Vets driving imports.

·
Registered
543 Posts
RobertCTS said:
You don't see a lot of Vets driving imports.
I noticed alot of imports on the parking lots of the Army base I where I worked.

I was an EOD tech for DOD for six years and that was during the eighties.
My brother still works there as a Bradley systems spec and imports are everywhere.

·
Registered
466 Posts
that would mean that the CTS will look identical from the 2003 to 2007 models
:) Not bad if your driving a 2003. The Lexus IS looks alot like the BMW 5 series at a glance. I'm really fond of the Acura TL. Too many nice cars out there. I want one of each!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Coming from someone who has owned an is300, acura tl type s, and a bmw 3 series. And I now own a CTS. I like the CTS much more over all for speed handling and over all room. But the is300 was my favorite out of them untill the CTS. Im going to look at an is350 this week. But Im not sure if I will trade the CTS. I really enjoy the car my only concern is realibility.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
collapsed