Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nightmare continues!.........

Picked my '04 DeVille up at the dealer yesterday after having front struts replaced (MONROE, but I'll have to get you the part #).
Headed to Manhatten from upstate NY, and had the WORSE ride of my life.

The car rides like a lumber wagon now, and even the slightest abnormality in the road feels like I've run over a railroad tie! Additionaly, the tires must be rubbing on something, because every time I turn the wheel, they cry and feel a little like they could peel right off the rims. Tire pressure is good.
Hitting a bump nearly yanks the wheel right out of my hands!:suspense:

I HAD to get back to work today, so I took my time and prayed to the gods that I did no major damage to the car, and today I am going straight to a garage to have it looked at.

Installation seems pretty idiot-proof, so I don't think the mechanic did anything wrong, but I'm at a loss.

Shoould have left the old struts on and invested the money in heated icemaker stocks I guess.

And the dealer tried to trace a trans. fluid leak that only happens when in reverse!...........This car is FULL of gremlins!

Any ideas about the strut issue? Prior to the change-out, the struts were just a little bumpier than I liked.

THANKS!
Frank

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: The nightmare continues!.........

If it don't feel right, I'd take it back to the dealer, ESPECIALLY if you have a tire rub.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts

It sounds like the front end alignment is off too.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

HAAALP!
The lower strut mounting bolts (top, on each side) have destroyed the tires!
I went directly to a shop for a diagnosis(new struts ride like there ARE none, and tires crying).......the mechanic showed me that the camber is hidiously off one one side, and the innermost treadline on both tires is G-O-N-E!!! Lucky I made it alive (285 mi. Straight out of the dealer's garage).
I am going directly to a shop within a half mile of where I'm working.......when I get there, what should I have the mechanic look for specifically? I have confirmed the Monroe struts to be correct for the vehicle.
Just to clarify, I bought the struts myself because the used car warrentee has expired. The dealer offered to have them installed at no charge for me. He has since agreed to replace both tires. Dealer A+, mechanic F-
I still wonder if reinstalling them CORRECTLY will improve the "always on the railroad tracks" ride!!

Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts

HAAALP!
The lower strut mounting bolts (top, on each side) have destroyed the tires!
I went directly to a shop for a diagnosis(new struts ride like there ARE none, and tires crying).......the mechanic showed me that the camber is hidiously off one one side, and the innermost treadline on both tires is G-O-N-E!!! Lucky I made it alive (285 mi. Straight out of the dealer's garage).
I am going directly to a shop within a half mile of where I'm working.......when I get there, what should I have the mechanic look for specifically? I have confirmed the Monroe struts to be correct for the vehicle.
Just to clarify, I bought the struts myself because the used car warrentee has expired. The dealer offered to have them installed at no charge for me. He has since agreed to replace both tires. Dealer A+, mechanic F-
I still wonder if reinstalling them CORRECTLY will improve the "always on the railroad tracks" ride!!

Thanks again fellas!
On your car the camber is adjusted by an elongated hole on mounting bolt location that bolts the strut to the steering knuckle. Sounds like the mechanic just installed the struts without aligning the car or marking the relationship of the strut to the knuckle and putting back where it came from. Even though with new struts it would still need an alignment, it would at least be close enough to drive without the tires squealing. As for the ride quality sometimes new struts are stiff. Sometimes it relaxes with time and mileage sometimes not. I avoid installing anything other than OE or a premium aftermarket in my shop like bilstein, Sachs, etc. When installing these brands I do not have the issue you are describing. Your brand choice is not one I would install on my customers car.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ALL BETTER!

You folks were absolutely correct!
Apparently the "mechanic".......a former car wash technician, stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before doing this job.
The alignment was obliterated to the point that the first choice shop that the garage sent it to refused to even touch it!
The second choice shop took it in and worked very hard. They were able to bring the alignment in, and I must say, did a terrific job!
Took the car for an 80 mile drive last night and I'm very impressed. Finally rides like I thought a Cadillac should.
I know that the Monroe's aren't popular with shop owners and rich folk, but I'm retired and most aspects of daily life now are dictated by budgetary constraints. The struts, at$139/pair, delivered seem to be a good option, and the ride is excellent in my opinion.
$89.00 alignment and I'm a happy boy. The dealer who did me the "favor" has two new tires waiting for me, so I'm over it.
Thanks to you all for you advice and sharing. You are an important asset to the forum!
Frank

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
The only Monroe's I've had were sensatracs but on every car strut or shock front or rear they softened up within about 1-3 months of driving

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts

Odd, but good to hear that the dealer is standing up and taking responsibility and paying for the alignment and new tires.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts

It has to be quite obvious that the alignment was way off and I didn't think it was possible for a strut bolt to hit the tire even. Regardless the guy was an idiot and glad you are getting it taken care of at dealer expense.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts

The dealer made good on replacing the two damaged tires, but the same moron installed them. I wasn't 10 miles down the road when both the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL lights came on.
When I ran the obd's there were none, so I have no idea what the problem is.
The dealer had just torn him a new rectal orifice, so he may have just gone postal in those wheel wells and broke something!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If there are ABD/TC lights/messages, there has to be at least one C code.

Most likely is a wheel speed sensor code.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Like MC said there has to be a code for those lights to be on. Probably knocked the wiring off one of the sensors, but knowing that guy.... Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts

I wasn't 10 miles down the road when both the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL lights came on.
Probably should have turned around and went right back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Well then the issue is intermittent. The code is set, triggers the ligbt/message, and then goes to history.

The answer is in the history codes.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You are correct.....found it in the history. Right front wheel speed sensor short.
THANKS!

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
I am at my wits end here. I hate to have to go through the Hell of selling my car and replacing it, but I ALSO hate the Hell of having something go wrong every time I slip behind the wheel!
If you recognize my username, you have been made painfully aware of the troubles I have been plagued with regarding my '04 Deville DHS.

Well, just when I thought I finally had most things licked, with the exception of the oil leak that I refuse to have repaired at a cost of $1100.00, I instantly get 6.......yes "6" codes!
2 for secondary air injection pump circuits [P0418] [P0412. (the pump was JUST replace about 2 weeks ago), 1 for rear temperature control circuit [B0429], 1 for mass air flow sensor [P0102] . One for evap. purge solenoid [P0443].
I also have an ABS [C1233] code for speed sensor.
Can these somehow be relaited?.....or did the gremlins have simply another litter?!

Code IDs: C1233-Right front wheel speed sensor open or shorted.
B0429-Temp. control #3 rear circuit performance.
P0102-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR circuit low frequency.
P0412- Secondary air injection pump relay circuit bank 1.
P0418-SAI pump relay control circuit bank 1.
P0443- Evaporator purge solenoid valve 1 control circuit.
Got routine A/C service with no problems, all the dash lights were out and I was livi'n large............for about a week!:banghead:
Frank

I am at my wits end here. I hate to have to go through the Hell of selling my car and replacing it, but I ALSO hate the Hell of having something go wrong every time I slip behind the wheel!
If you recognize my username, you have been made painfully aware of the troubles I have been plagued with regarding my '04 Deville DHS.

Well, just when I thought I finally had most things licked, with the exception of the oil leak that I refuse to have repaired at a cost of $1100.00, I instantly get 6.......yes "6" codes!
2 for secondary air injection pump circuits [P0418] [P0412. (the pump was JUST replace about 2 weeks ago), 1 for rear temperature control circuit [B0429], 1 for mass air flow sensor [P0102] . One for evap. purge solenoid [P0443].
I also have an ABS [C1233] code for speed sensor.
Can these somehow be relaited?.....or did the gremlins have simply another litter?!

Code IDs: C1233-Right front wheel speed sensor open or shorted.
B0429-Temp. control #3 rear circuit performance.
P0102-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR circuit low frequency.
P0412- Secondary air injection pump relay circuit bank 1.
P0418-SAI pump relay control circuit bank 1.
P0443- Evaporator purge solenoid valve 1 control circuit.
Got routine A/C service with no problems, all the dash lights were out and I was livi'n large............for about a week!
Frank

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts

Please stop posting new, identical threads on the same series of problems and questions. Go back in the forum, find your previous thread/post on the problem and simply "Reply to thread" as necessary - that automatically moves it to the top of the threads page. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
30 Posts
"ABS and TRACTION CONTROL lights"

As mentioned, this points to intermittent signals from one or more of the the wheel speed sensors. It is quite possible the "expert" damaged them and/or their wiring while "fixing" any of the other problems mentioned here already. Just had a similar experience where an inexperienced tech changed the tie rod end and forgot to plug in the wheel speed sensor. However, in my case (2004 DeVille) the DTC identified the problem immediately because the cable was completely disconnected. Perhaps you have a pinched cable or damaged plug receptacle? These are just plastic and thin wires after all. Easy to harm if one is careless.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
30 Posts
"Well, just when I thought I finally had most things licked, with the exception of the oil leak that I refuse to have repaired at a cost of $1100.00, I instantly get 6.......yes "6" codes!
2 for secondary air injection pump circuits [P0418] [P0412. (the pump was JUST replace about 2 weeks ago), 1 for rear temperature control circuit [B0429], 1 for mass air flow sensor [P0102] . One for evap. purge solenoid [P0443]."

As for these, the clue is that the pump was just replaced. I think most, if not all, of these connectors are disturbed replacing that pump. I could be wrong. But if the same "expert" was involved, I'd have to have the wiring to all of these sensors, etc., inspected for inside/outside damage. And look for other connectors and hoses just hanging. The first time I had the hood up after I took delivery of my 2004 DeVille, I found a 10 inch hose, with a clamp on one end and an odd metal cap (air vent?) on the other, just laying on top of the engine!! Just sitting there. Fortunately it hadn't fouled any wiring or tubing, or fallen into the serpentine belt. Just sitting there. And, no, the dealer couldn't tell me what it was for either. Gotta love it. Car seems to run fine without it. C'est la vie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts