Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned before, my parking brake must be disabled cause I can drive normally with it to the floor (this is before I realized the metal lever is actually stuffed under the bottom of the dash...it was to the floor when I got the car). Often the light will come on telling me the brake is engaged & I give it a nudge with my foot & it goes away.

Last night, I was at a light & I notice my parking break light is lit on the dash. Stop light turns green just as I'm giving it a kick with my foot. I hear the quiet "click" from the left side of my dash & the parking break releases completely & goes back up to where it’s actually supposed to be.
Whereas normally, when I kick it, it barely moves...just enough for the light to go away.

After that fluke, I didn't hear the click again. Probably cause the parking break is where it should be. Today, it will fall down a bit & the click will come back. Only when I'm beginning to roll from a stop. Only one click.

What IS that click, now that I know the cause?

Dumb question, but does it tie into my vacuum problem at all? I'm always looking for a cause/source of that problem too.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
Lesly,
Have you had these brakes check out? The fact that the pedal suddenly returned to the normal position makes me wonder if it is not working properly and you were driving with the parking brake engaged, in which case you would have work the rear brakes down and would now be stopping on only the fronts.

Not sure about the click, but may have something to do with the vacuum.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I used to play with my Lincoln and Cadillac emerg brakes. There was a metal/rubber diaphragm at the top of the emergency pedal. There is also a vacuum hose that connects to the top of that diaphragm. As I recall, if that hose is cracked or if it has slipped off, then the emerg brake will not automatically release. There is also a finger down there that you can press to release the pedal.

Clicking--does it sound like a ratchet?? If you will note, when you press the emerg brake, you will hear the internal ratchet click until it takes all of the slack out of the brake cable. The clicking could be the ratchet releasing one step at a time.

Good luck.

Read Ranger's post. He has even more imp info.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,112 Posts
:confused: Not sure about your year model, but the later cars have an electric solenoid controlled by the shift lever position: When you put the car in some "gear", the solenoid energizes to release the emergency brake pedal, which should spring back to the "up" position and stay there. Maybe the solenoid is trying to release, but, in any case, if the emergency brake pedal was down more than a half inch or so from full "up", the light on the dash should come on. Something's not right........

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The click sounds like a relay. One quiet little "click" which comes from the left side of the dash. Above the parking brake somewhere.

I haven't had the brakes looked at. The car has been at the garage twice for my chirping problem & once for a tire repair.

Let me see if I can explain the parking brake situation better...

When I got the car, it was engaged. The light was lit. We had no clue how to disengage it. We tried to push it to the floor hoping it would release that way like some vehicles. No luck. I looked on the net & found how to find the lever.

The parking brake pedal is loose. Once it’s in the up position, it doesn't stay. Throughout the day, I am kicking it with my foot to get it back up & the light out. At times, it falls further down & I actually need to find the lever & release it, not use my foot.

But whether its up/down, engaged/disengaged, the car drives the same.

Then you have the click. It happens only after I am at a complete stop & I step on the gas. If the brake is down, it releases with this click.

That's really all I can tell you.

The car stops wonderfully. ABS works great.

I doubt my brakes are shot, being every vehicle sold in my province has to have a safety certificate before it can be registered by another owner. This covers suspension, brakes, lights, tires, battery, etc. I've only had the car for approx. 2 months. However anything is possible. I'll get them looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to play with my Lincoln and Cadillac emerg brakes. There was a metal/rubber diaphragm at the top of the emergency pedal. There is also a vacuum hose that connects to the top of that diaphragm. As I recall, if that hose is cracked or if it has slipped off, then the emerg brake will not automatically release. There is also a finger down there that you can press to release the pedal.

Clicking--does it sound like a ratchet?? If you will note, when you press the emerg brake, you will hear the internal ratchet click until it takes all of the slack out of the brake cable. The clicking could be the ratchet releasing one step at a time.

Good luck.

Read Ranger's post. He has even more imp info.
No ratchet click noise. I know the noise you're talking about - the normal ebrake noise. This one makes no noise at all. Nothing. And there really isn't any resistance when I push it down. The click comes from above, almost near where my light controls are (or so I think...).

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
I thought (and still do) that the '93 parking brake release was vacuum operated. Submariner is correct that at some point they went to an electronic solenoid release. I know the '99 had that. I am not sure when the switch was made.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Looks like one of us is about 30 years behind the times. I hate to admit which one of us.

At any rate, I was a dang good shade tree mechanic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts