Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. It appears we're on a roll with people liking the new format idea of:

Cadillac Seville/Eldorado Discussions (on the front page)
1981 and older Seville/Eldorado (SubForum of above)

This would seperate the OLDER Seville/Eldorado discussion from the newer ones.. Is 1981 the year we want to draw the line at?

ALSO.. What should the other makes be like? Shall we seperate from 1981 and older on DeVilles as well? Or is there another year we should seperate from on them?

As soon as we can get a few of these questions answered, I'll begin making the moves on the forums.. I'll need some help from the Moderators in getting the 1981 and older threads into the OLDER sections...

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
ALSO.. What should the other makes be like? Shall we seperate from 1981 and older on DeVilles as well? Or is there another year we should seperate from on them?
IF there's going to be a seperation for DeVilles and Fleetwoods aswell, or even the other ones for that matter, I still say there has to be a good reason for it and at a realistic year. Every reason I've seen so far basically cries out "I don't want to have anything to do with any other Cadillac then mine". There's no good reason to have a cut off point at 1981 for any of the body styles when that falls right smack in the middle of all the body styles. This happens for the SeVille and Eldorado and the RWDs.

That's my biggest complaint and I'm sticking to it :p

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
brougham said:
IF there's going to be a seperation for DeVilles and Fleetwoods aswell, or even the other ones for that matter, I still say there has to be a good reason for it and at a realistic year. Every reason I've seen so far basically cries out "I don't want to have anything to do with any other Cadillac then mine". There's no good reason to have a cut off point at 1981 for any of the body styles when that falls right smack in the middle of all the body styles. This happens for the SeVille and Eldorado and the RWDs.

He's right.
Everyone (okay a lot of people) have a very subjective view about this subject (little play on words for ya).
Okay, Devilles and Fleetwoods were very similar as RWD cars until '84. Then in '85 they were very similar again but as FWD cars. Ironicly there was a couple years there where there were more than one Fleetwood in the Cadillac line. Then GM got crapped on bad enough for that very issue and they decided (in thier infinate wisdom) to leave the Fleetwood name with the FWD car and call the RWD car a "Brougham". That continued until '93 when they again decided to play the name game and brought the name Fleetwood back to the RWD platform. But in '98 I think it was, they offered (through an aftermarket coachbuilder) a FWD Fleetwood "Limited". This is all VERY confusing. Again, this is why I keep trying to tell you that the ONLY way to adequately handle this issue is to just seperate the Devilles and Fleetwoods at least into RWD and FWD catagories. At least for the 80's and 90's.
And be prepared for the same issue again as Cadillac FINALLY decides to phase out FWD and phase in RWD. Dude, you need a friggin' score card to figure this out. :bonkers:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin. I've seperated the Fleetwoods between FWD and RWD and away from the DeVilles.. Is there any seperating I should be doing with the DeVilles now? They weren't always FWD, right?

I hear ya, Brougham.. :)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
I think the cut off point shall be fuel injected and carberated. Since what's his face wants such a valid reason. Devilles should be cut off too.
But the 425 could come with fuel injection for 1977 :shocked: So that's just all the more reason to have 1976 as the cutoff. And wasn't the 864 also fuel injected? :p

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
I've said this about a million times now. 1981/82 is the cutoff between the big block 472/500/425/386 series and the HT4100. PAY ATTENTION!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
davesdeville said:
I've said this about a million times now. 1981/82 is the cutoff between the big block 472/500/425/386 series and the HT4100. PAY ATTENTION!
And I've said this before too
The cars are all the same! WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE IT HAS!! How many posts are really specific to the engine anyway? So the 4100 was used from what, like 4 or 5 years? If you don't want to have anything to do with them just ignore posts that specifically have to deal with them. It's as simple as that! Those 4.1/4.5/4.9 ones are different then the 5L and 5.7L, and they're all different then the Northstar. Everyone else gets to read about engines and cars that are completey different then there own so why should you be any different?

So how's this for an idea:
Have a RWD forum for ALL cars upto 1996. Then just have subforums in there specifically for engine related things. That way we can all talk about the cars and questions about them but when it comes to the engines people can deal with whatever engine they want.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
brougham said:

To address: "IF there's going to be a seperation for DeVilles and Fleetwoods aswell, or even the other ones for that matter, I still say there has to be a good reason for it and at a realistic year. Every reason I've seen so far basically cries out "I don't want to have anything to do with any other Cadillac then mine".

I'm I guilty of that? Well, it might look like it - but in truth, NO I am not. I actually read 75% or more of the posts on here. I admit, not Tech or Sport ute posts...but that said, I read the rest.
I like all Cadillacs. I really only mentioned a listing for the Sixty Special of '93 because - Yes, I own one......but moreover because it's a one-year car nameplate and sorta an odd occurrance. If I came off "self Centered" I just wanna set it straight, I am not. I love my car, and I think that the 1993 60 Specials are indeed unique, but I love all Caddys.....yes even the Cimmarons & the Cateras. I love what Cadillac stands for: America's Premier Luxury Car. Patriotism & Luxury :)

S A N D Y

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Hey I made a compromising suggestion which I thought is the answer to what everybody wants. We weren't getting anywhere the other way. I guess you can say that at we all like our RWDs :)

Sandy, that wasn't aimed at you. I thought that in the other thread about the DeVille/Fleetwood thing it turned out that we all wanted the same thing. If you're talking about what I think you are you're right about the Sixty special, it belongs in that description since that's what the front wheel drive fleetwood was called for 1993.

·
Banned
646 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Okay. It appears we're on a roll with people liking the new format idea of:

Cadillac Seville/Eldorado Discussions (on the front page)
1981 and older Seville/Eldorado (SubForum of above)

This would seperate the OLDER Seville/Eldorado discussion from the newer ones.. Is 1981 the year we want to draw the line at?

As soon as we can get a few of these questions answered, I'll begin making the moves on the forums.. I'll need some help from the Moderators in getting the 1981 and older threads into the OLDER sections...

somehow, that is not the impression i got from all the postings i read ...

what i cannot understand is why you will reshuffle into a complicated line split by years and make it a mgt nightmare as well as a user-hard-to-use interface...

the "Vehicle Discussion Forum" is FANTASTIC AS-IS ...
to make it SUPER FANTASTIC, add convertibles and "CLASSICS" where the classics do not fit into the models lsited there ...

now, i am really done ...

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
brougham said:
The cars are all the same! WHO CARES WHAT ENGINE IT HAS!!
No need to shout.

But you make a valid point. Shouldn't engine issues be addressed under the tech forum and not in the model forum? Otherwise, why have a seperate tech forum?

·
Registered
433 Posts
brougham said:
So how's this for an idea:
Have a RWD forum for ALL cars upto 1996. Then just have subforums in there specifically for engine related things. That way we can all talk about the cars and questions about them but when it comes to the engines people can deal with whatever engine they want.
Great idea! But not an original one. I suggested that same thing in the other thread. ;) But good thinking! :D

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
No need to shout.

But you make a valid point. Shouldn't engine issues be addressed under the tech forum and not in the model forum? Otherwise, why have a seperate tech forum?
That's what I was wondering too, and right now it seems like it is being used that way. So maybe if it was divided up into engine styles there? Even right now a lot of the stuff in the RWD Fleetwood forum looks like it's pretty general anyway and more specific stuff seems to have titles that say what they're for:

? about for anyone who owns a 93 Fleetwood Brougham, "86 fleetwood, gutless", Buying an 87 Fleetwood and have questions, '86 Fleetwood Brougham Questions, Corvette LT1 engine in a 1985 Fleetwood bro' ?, 1993 Fleetwood Brougham HVAC...

Sorry toomanytoyz, I guess it is good thinking huh? You can have the credit for it then :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Remember we are trying to CONSOLODATE!!!!!! Not make MORE fourms!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
elwesso