Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't Let Congress Ruin the Internet

Right now Congress is pushing a law that would abandon the First Amendment of the Internet -- a principle called "network neutrality" that preserves the free and open Internet. Congress needs to hear from you today or they will hand over control of what you do online to companies like AT&T, Verizon and Cablevision.

Politicians are trading favors for campaign donations from these companies. They're being wooed by people like AT&T's CEO, who says "the Internet can't be free." Sign this petition to tell your elected representatives to protect Internet freedom now.

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies including AT&T, Verizon, Cablevision and Time Warner want to be the Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax web sites to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video — while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services — or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls — and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

If Congress turns the Internet over to the telephone and cable giants, everyone who uses the Internet will be affected. Connecting to your office could take longer if you don't purchase your carrier's preferred applications. Sending family photos and videos could slow to a crawl. Web pages you always use for online banking, access to health care information, planning a trip, or communicating with friends and family could fall victim to pay-for-speed schemes.

What's at stake?

Decisions being made now will shape the future of the Internet for a generation. Before long, all media — TV, phone and the Web — will come to your home via the same broadband connection. The dispute over Net Neutrality is about who'll control access to new and emerging technologies.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control — deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

Remember, you may not hear much about this in the mainstream as many of these News, TV, and media companies own in on this debate. They are keeping you quite by limiting the information available to you; a classic example of exactly why they should never get full control of the Internet.

More ways this threat to Internet freedom will affect you:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/=threat

Please visit Save The Internet for more information:
http://www.savetheinternet.com

Sign the Petition
http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet

Forward this message to family and friends!

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of your favorite websites would be driven off the internet. Like this one, for example. It's been mentioned before that a tax of one half cent per page view for site owners would not be unheard of. That would mean I'm on my way to $5000.00 per month in page-view taxes. I can't afford that, nor can many of the other busy websites you visit on a daily basis. So "CadillacOwners.com" won't be in your OnNetDemand menu...

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
790 Posts
Yuck! Sounds just great. I'm sure this would be one of the first sites to go... People come here and get quality help for their cars, and save getting the shaft at a dealer. Car dealers are among the businesses that would benefit from such absurdity.

This is one of those situations where the word "rebel" sounds appropriate :D. The one good thing is I don't see the cable companies liking this so much... The internet would lose a lot of its appeal if it were like that, and if enough people renounce the service entirely in that event, then there will be some apologetic CEOs heard from. I'm probably dreaming though...

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tailfin said:
By the way...not that I object, this really needs to be stopped and advertised...but what happens when the administrator breaks the site rule about discussing politics? lol :leaving:
This is MY exception because the site may CLOSE because of this issue.

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A letter from Google:

There's a debate heating up in Washington, DC on something called "net neutrality" – and the outcome of this debate may very well impact your business. Therefore, we are taking the unprecedented steps of calling your attention to this looming crisis and asking you to get involved.

Sometime in the next few days, the House of Representatives is going to vote on a bill that would fundamentally alter the Internet. That bill would give the big phone and cable companies the power to choose what you will be able to see and do on the Internet.

Today the Internet is an information highway where anybody – no matter how large or small, how traditional or unconventional – has equal access to everyone else. On the Internet, a business doesn't need the network's permission to communicate with a customer or deploy an innovative new service. But the phone and cable monopolies, who control almost all broadband Internet access, want the power to choose who gets onto the high-speed lanes and whose content gets seen first and fastest. They want to build tollbooths to block the on-ramps for those whom they don't want to compete with and who can't pay this new Internet tax. Money and monopoly, not ideas and independence, will be the currency of their Internet.

Under the proposed "pay-to-play" system, small- and medium-sized businesses will be placed at an automatic disadvantage to their larger competitors. Those who cannot afford the new Internet tax – or who want to compete directly with the phone and cable companies – will be marginalized by slower Internet access that will inevitably make their sites less accessible, and therefore less appealing.

Creativity, innovation and a free and open marketplace are all at stake in this fight. Imagine an Internet in which your access to customers is constrained by your ability to cut a deal with the carriers. Please call your representative in Congress at 202-224-3121. For more information on the issue, and more ways to make your voice be heard, visit www.ItsOurNet.org.

Thank you for your time, your concern and your support.

Eric Schmidt
CEO of Google Inc.

P.S. -- If you are unsure of who represents you in Congress, you can look them up by zip code at http://www.house.gov. And if you would like to stay informed about this issue, and other policy issues affecting Google, you can opt-in to our policy mailing list at http://groups-beta.google.com/group/googlepolicy/subscribe (powered by Google Groups)."

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google, eBay And Amazon To AT&T: We'll Build Our Own Network

AT&T and the telcos are threatening to charge Google and other Web sites extortion-type fees unless Google and others pay for adequate bandwidth. But Google and others may soon have this answer for them: No, thanks. We'll build our own fat pipe into customers' homes.

That's the speculation, anyway. Investor's Business Daily points out that big swaths of the wireless spectrum are about to go out to bid -- and whoever buys them could build a high-bandwidth wireless pipe into people's homes and businesses across the country.

I won't go into all the gory details, but there are two big blocks of spectrum up for sale, and Internet companies like Google are expected to bid on both.

Google, eBay, and Amazon could form their own consortium to spend the many billions of dollars needed to buy parts of the spectrum, and build a high-speed, nationwide wireless network.

Investor's Business Daily quotes George Dellinger, an analyst at research firm Washington Analysis, as saying "A consortium of new media companies could wind up leading the pack to buy that spectrum and provide a third (broadband) pipe into homes."

Sound far-fetched? Google is already building wireless networks in San Francisco and its home of Mountain View. The company is sitting on top of the biggest pile of cash south of Bill Gates -- probably close to $10 billion after a planned $2 billion new stock offering. It can afford to do it. And when it comes to cash, eBay and Amazon aren't slouches, either.

So the network neutrality debate may blow up in AT&T's face. When it comes to buying bandwith, I'll choose Google over the telco dinosaurs any day of the week.

http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2006/04/google_ebay_and.html

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,454 Posts
Tailfin said:
but what happens when the administrator breaks the site rule about discussing politics? lol :leaving:
I think to refer to this as politics is stretching it. It's about our rights as citizens not political parties. Now if a few folks want to start debating the issue and then get rude to each other about it, that's a different issue.

We need to stop generalizing the least little things as "politics" or "religion" because of a few words and use some common sense here. That is unless, just like this issue raised, we want to start allowing a system that's too overcontroling. If the guys at Google are concerned about it's effect, you can bet it will affect the free flow of information on the net.

Thanks for sounding the Bell Sal. I'll jump on it.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
What is the real meaning of this BS law?
So that the big companies can get more money?
Or are they just affraid that the people get too much information, esspecially the information that shows that the politicians aren't there for the people but just for their own provit?

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This change would prevent the "little guy" from competing with the "big guy". On the net, a small business can compete with larger businesses.. Unlike WalMart, Home Depot, etcetera running out the small business (brick and mortar). Never again would there be a startup that turns huge like eBay, Amazon, Google, Dell, etcetera...

DutchJ&M said:
What is the real meaning of this BS law?
So that the big companies can get more money?
Or are they just affraid that the people get too much information, esspecially the information that shows that the politicians aren't there for the people but just for their own provit?

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
790 Posts
CIWS said:
I think to refer to this as politics is stretching it. It's about our rights as citizens not political parties. Now if a few folks want to start debating the issue and then get rude to each other about it, that's a different issue.

We need to stop generalizing the least little things as "politics" or "religion" because of a few words and use some common sense here. That is unless, just like this issue raised, we want to start allowing a system that's too overcontroling. If the guys at Google are concerned about it's effect, you can bet it will affect the free flow of information on the net.

Thanks for sounding the Bell Sal. I'll jump on it.
Yeah, like I said, I was just being sarcastic. I do think mentioning a government issue and congress qualifies as politics, but certainly nothing wrong with that. Politics is a broad term though. It can apply to moral issues or not, practical issues or not, etc... depending on the situation. Anyhoo, not to get off target here, I'm going to be relaying this to every breathing creature I know...

·
Premium Member
Cadillac Escalade
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If this happens, say goodbye to the "free" internet. There are a few forums out there who already charge for membership. Expect to see ALL forums and websites charging for membership to view content very soon. We all knew it would come to an end one day...

If you get on the phone and contact your local Senate office NOW - we may be able to turn this around.. Otherwise, we'll all be abandoning the internet and watching television again... Woopie..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.