Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year for vacation, my wife and I decided to do something a little different. Our original plan was to head to Key West and spend a week down in the sun, but I found some post on Facebook about an event going on at the National Corvette Museum and tagged her in it on facebook, and, well, we decided to change things up a bit.

Instead of spending a little bit of time in one place we'd already been, we decided to see a whole bunch of places we hadn't... and drive there. Our ultimate goal would be to reach the National Corvette museum, but along the way we would spend a couple of days in Savannah, GA and Pigeon Forge, TN.

We chose to take the Corvette, since it's more efficient than the Escalade (and would be a lot more fun on the mountain roads, but I couldn't go on a Corvette road trip without the proper footwear:

So we had a nice early breakfast and headed out:

Our first stop was Savannah, GA. We made great time from home and got there in about 5 hours:

Our hotel was right in the Historic District on River Street, so we spent most of the time walking around the city and exploring. It was awesome. So many nice little shops and a really interesting museum that talked about the Prohibition time period and how it affected the area. Remember - if there is a problem, the government is never the solution.

It talked a bit about the link between NASCAR and alcohol running, too. Most people probably knew that, but it was still interesting to see more about how the two were linked in the early days.

We went on a riverboat dinner cruise too - the food was pretty good (and there was all-you-can-eat prime rib, so I was content), but the boat was super awesome and so were the views:

Next up, we grabbed a map and drove through the famous Bonaventure Cemetery. We opted to drive through on our own rather than take a big guided tour and I'm glad we did. The cemetery sits on an old plantation that's about 160 acres and has been around for over 170 years! They had some incredible family plots and crypts, and some pretty old graves. It makes you wonder just what kind of lives these people lived. Here are a few:

Making a second post (limited to 10 images per post)....

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one was sad. It almost didn't even look like a grave, and the flag was buried. We uncovered it and placed the little flag back up top. Cemeteries are creepy but fascinating... you get buried so you don't get forgotten, but ultimately, isn't that what happens to everyone?

We were probably the brightest (and loudest) thing in the whole place....

Anywho - with that, we headed North toward Pigeon Forge, TN. We met up with one of my wagon forum buddies in SC and he gave us a ride in his killer Caprice PPV:

He kept the bars in the back seat, so we HAD to send this photo to my mom... I couldn't keep a straight face, but this was as good as it got:

We made it to our hotel in Pigeon Forge without a single issue, averaging about 24mpg the whole way!

Naomi is obsessed with American architecture, so she was taking photos of old homes she liked along the way. I see why people retire up here - beautiful country.

I thought this was supposed to be a secret...

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, pancakes are the breakfast food of choice in Pigeon Forge. There were so many places to eat, but we figured Goldilocks needed to be among friends....

Our first stop here was another museum - Alcatraz East, a museum all about crime and punishment. It was pretty neat. They had HUNDREDS of artifacts and displays related to so many different things. And yes, there were cars:

From left to right: Ted Bundy's VW Beetle, John Dillinger's 1933 Essex Terraplane, Bonnie and Clyde's '34 Ford, and OJ's Bronco.

They had an old electric chair from TN as well... super creepy, but interesting.

I remember as a kid we used to go to a summer camp in FL that was in the same city as the state prison where our electric chair was (or is, maybe?) and rumor had it that when they used or tested the chair, the lights at the camp would flicker. We probably just kept that one alive to scare all the new kids....

After that, we went up to the Gatlinburg Skybridge! The views were incredible - nothing like this available in Florida, that's for sure!

And yes, we walked all the way across the bridge, even the glass-bottomed center. It was amazing!

We love old school American diners. This one was really cool (and the food was great, too - so that helped!)

Next up was a trip to the Titanic Museum. This was so fascinating! Sadly, the interior of the museum doesn't allow photography, but I got one shot of the outside of the building before we went in:

Once you're inside, they give you a card that has the details of a passenger that was on the ship. You go through dozens of exhibits and true-to-life replicas of parts of the ship, and there's an accompanying audio tour that goes along with it all. You can learn about how it was built, what happened during the sinking, and even hear some first-hand accounts from passengers. Such a terrible thing all caused by hubris. Not enough lifeboats. Not enough time to prepare. Just a sad story all around.

They had six original life jackets on display from the ship. Apparently, only 12 are known to still exist, and six is the most that have ever been on display anywhere at one time. There was also an exhibit and a room dedicated to the orchestra, who really did play until the ship sank - and though it was out on loan, they also have a violin that was played that night, too. Crazy.

After the Titanic, we stopped at the local Ripley's Believe it or Not. I don't know how 100% factual everything REALLY is there, of course, but it's pretty wild to think the guy collected so much just... everything. Unfortunately, after going to the BIG one in St. Augustine back in January this year, the others just weren't as impressive. And at this point, I was coming down with a cold, so we spent the rest of the day sleeping in the hotel. Womp womp.

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last leg of our trip took us down to the Tail of the Dragon. Let me tell you - if you ever get a chance to drive a sports car here... DO IT! It was awesome! We took the Foothills Parkway over and saw some great mountain vistas, too.

At the bottom of Tail of the Dragon is a gift shop... I found the perfect keychain:

Here are a few of my favorite shots that were taken of us on the drive. We went over the road in both directions. Traffic (including police) was light, so we got to have a bit of fun along the way...

The leaves were beautiful, and there was no snow anywhere in sight. Could not have asked for a better time to drive!

And then.... we made it to the real destination (it was after hours and the museum was closing up, but I had to get the photo op:

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At that point, we were 1,200 miles into the trip, and about 3.5 tanks of fuel in as well. REALLY pleased with the economy we netted on the trip - and trust me, I wasn't easy on it. LOL

When we woke up to go to the museum the next morning, it was COLD. I hadn't scraped frost or snow off of a car in over 10 years. Yikes.

I had some fun in their driving simulator (and cracked off a pretty good time - top 35 and there were hundreds of names!)

This museum is a must-do for ANYONE who's a car nut, or especially if you're like me and Corvette obsessed. The cutaway car here is chassis #0033. They found it and weren't sure what to do with it, so the person who owned it decided this would be the best way to honor the car. It drives, by the way.

Even the bathroom in this place is Corvette themed...

Trying to figure out how to share the album link to see all the photos. I took over 180 photos here at the museum. It was out of this world.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anywho... after the Corvette museum, I stopped at a friend's diecast shop and bought a few cool rare 1/64s I had been wanting and looking for. We then headed back South with no destination in mind. The plan was drive as close to home as possible and then find a hotel wherever.

Well the beltway around Atlanta was having some construction and traffic on it was worse than driving through the city... but after that painful experience we decided to call it a night. When I looked where we were, we were super close to one of the Summit Racing retail stores, so naturally, we found a hotel and stopped by the next morning:

We also stopped at an AMAZING meat market... good lord, if I had more space I'd have stocked my whole freezer here!

But sadly, all good things must come to an end... and eventually we made it home:

Zero issues. 24.3mpg average. Couldn't have asked for a better trip.

I think next year, we're going to go through the gulf states and hit the Johnson Space Center in TX - we've already been to the Kennedy Space Center here in FL!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,440 Posts
That's an awesome trip! If you pack light enough, there's not a much better car to take that trip in either. Pics turned out great.

Tail of the dragon, one day!!

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
630 Posts
Great write up and pics. I love a good road trip. When you head out this way, I know the west coast dragon very well. It’s the final section of hiway 1 north of Ft. Bragg where it cuts away from the ocean, ending at hiway 101 in Leggett. Fantastic ride, two lanes thru the forest with elevation changes and all the corners you can handle. I managed a full G on the readout of my C6 on that section which starts right here.
D461CE93-1349-462B-AD6A-174B52B8FDA3.jpeg

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an awesome trip! If you pack light enough, there's not a much better car to take that trip in either. Pics turned out great.

Tail of the dragon, one day!!
You HAVE to!

We want to go back up that way and do the Blue Ridge Parkway, too.

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always thought yellow on Corvettes (and Mustangs) looks amazing. Nice ride!!
I wasn't really a fan of it at first, but it's really grown on me. The car came in on trade at work and I've had it for almost a year now. Crazy how time flies.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
928 Posts
Great road trip. I still miss a trip in the south east to cover most states so now I got inspired.

Seems like good company - both car and wife!

Corvette museum is a damn must for me. I’m often in the lake area and have cursed a lot that GM chose to build Corvette in Kentucky - but will go there one time.

As for the Johnson Space Center I don’t it is anything like Kennedy. You can see the control room, they have an old Saturn V rocket - and you can see training facilities. Was there in 2012:

When you are there, Battleship Texas is nearby:

The elevated road across the swamps from New Orleans towards Houston is an experience in itself and you can go along the coastline from Florida a long part of the trip.

When we were there again in 2014 the C7 just came out and we rented it for a weekend. In a Corvette you can do a backroad day trip to Dallas from Houston.

In Dallas we visited the Kennedy museum from where he was shot:

We also went shooting. Never laughed so much in my life - it felt so extreme and excessive to stand in a gun club with such a weapon (M16 and Desert Eagle).

Texas is definitely worth a visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
Awesome thread Stingeroo, thanks for the story and all the pics! I really enjoyed it, felt like I went right along with you and your wife. Sounds like you had an awesome time.

Just two questions:

1.) Did you have a chance to drive that Caprice PPV? I've always loved those things, being a mega G8/SS fan! I've been curious of the bigger size makes any kind of difference.

2.) Did I read your odometer right, 271,085 miles??? That's awesome, I've never seen a Vette with those kind of miles before. Seems to run A-1!

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome thread Stingeroo, thanks for the story and all the pics! I really enjoyed it, felt like I went right along with you and your wife. Sounds like you had an awesome time.

Just two questions:

1.) Did you have a chance to drive that Caprice PPV? I've always loved those things, being a mega G8/SS fan! I've been curious of the bigger size makes any kind of difference.

2.) Did I read your odometer right, 271,085 miles??? That's awesome, I've never seen a Vette with those kind of miles before. Seems to run A-1!
It was a great trip.

To answer:

1. No, I didn't get a chance to drive it, but we did go along for a ride. He took us through downtown Greenville, SC. The car has a mild cam, exhaust, and a torque converter, as well as a full interior swapped from a Chevrolet SS, so it's much nicer than a regular PPV. It was pretty good, but the Corvette is quicker (and about 1000 pounds lighter, so there is that).

2. Yep! Put another 180-ish miles on it today too after going to Cars and Coffee. I daily drive the car and it's really REALLY good on the highway, in my opinion. Temperatures were in the 50s all day, so I cranked the heater and left the targa top off all day.

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats one freaky pedestrian bridge!
It's so rad though! The glass section is a bit overhyped, but the views from the bridge in general are sooooo good. You can look over the entire city of Gatlinburg pretty much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts