Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Catera
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 Catera for about 3 years now, and it's honestly a love-hate relationship at this point. Here's a brakedown:

PROS:

- Looks sharp.
- Drives smooth. This is the one attribute I have to say impresses me with this car everytime I take it for a spin. I have numerous problems here there and everywhere with my Catera, but it's honestly a really reliable car. I'll take petty problems over crappy transmissions, exhaust issues, and all sorts of recalls anyday.

CONS:

- Here's where the things I should mention ring a bell. ELECTRIC PROBLEMS GALORE. At this point, I have so many stupid little electric problems that I'm not even sure what to fix! My radio shorts out, and this has been happening to me forever. At one point, my car was dieing every other day - no joke - and I was running through batteries like they were 1 week temporaries. (Do I need to mention that Catera batteries are upwards of $80??) The kid found out that my biggest problem was an aftermarket ONSTAR - so he removed the fuse and all was well... *except* - removing that fuse caused my dome-light and all interior lights to cut out as well. This is a catch 22 - as much as I want my dome light and interior lights back, I'll take my car ACTUALLY STARTING and keeping a battery for its normal lifespan over those.

- So back to the radio. I assumed the ONSTAR fix would solve my radio-short problem, but sure enough - it didn't. Now my radio shorts out once in a great while, (it used to be everyday,) - but it still occurs.

- GOING GHETTO. It's funny how cars just seem to fall apart out of nowhere sometimes. First, my sunroof knob broke for no appearant reason, (the plastic just snapped. The motor itself still works, so my sunroof functions - but the knob's gone...) Next, out of the blue - one of my window buttons on the drivers side brakes, (due to being a plastic piece of cheap cr*p.) Than - (yep, there's more...) - my handle for my glovebox loses a pin, so that's dangling at this point.

- Than my door panel on the passenger side comes loose. This was relatively easy to fix, but it certainly happened...

- THE GAS DOOR broke for no reason... You know how it has the metal bar that goes through the circle to keep it closed? (Not the gas CAP, but the gas door painted on the outside,) - For whatever reason, mine's hanging and the loop that the metal goes through is broke. This is great...

- And lastly, as I mentioned in my last past - my check engine light's on 99% of the time, regardless of what I fix. The diagnostic tells me an oxygen sensor's out, so I change the exact oxygen sensor - and the diagnostic tells me the exact one I fixed is STILL out. Now I'm inspection-less and looking at coughing up money...

*So that's where I stand. What to do right? Alls the minute/decent little problems, but the car still gets me from A to B and drives pretty well. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
I think you're a Catera Owner...lol...Mine has some of those little things too...Lets see...My fade button on my stereo is gone, just a little metal peice now. Driver side speaker always shorts, 3-4 times daily. I don't have an outside temp sensor (I'm sick and tired of seeing that F on the AC control, it feels like the car is trying to say F/AC U) the passenger side panel in between the windows fell as someone was closing the door and got a chunk taken out of it...Drivers side cup holder is busted, driver side door handle is busted. I could go on and on...But on the upside, the car almost never fails to get me where I need to go, isn't a total beast on gas, still looks sharp, and I love seeing peoples faces when the lil green cadi smokes them like they were standing still...Yep, you own a Catera...lol

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
Man, I feel bad for you. Go to a salvage yard and get some of those small things. It will calm you down a lot. Do one thing at a time- you'll get it right. Get a sunroof knob, then fix the fuel door situation. I'm battling a couple things at the moment that can't seem to have an explanation, but I still drive them both hoping I will figure it out eventually

1 - 3 of 3 Posts