Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,116 Posts
Looks like it's time for a CT4 Folder in Cadillac Forums!!!

It's weird that the CT4-V is revealed first, but it shows what a standard CT4 will look like.
CT4 looks like the next version of ATS, while CT5 looks a lot different that CTS.

I don't really care about V power, because I am not spending V $$$.
It looks like the new engines are relying on Torque, so they may perform fine at speeds we can drive.

I still don't see other specs on CT4, like length, etc. Hopefully the Luxury + Sport will be revealed soon.

CT4 implies being bigger than ATS, yet news stories like to say it's a BMW 1 + 2 fighter.
They said CT5 would be a lot smaller than CTS, but it's less than 2" shorter than CTS gen 3.
Possibly CT4 will still be a bit larger than ATS. I can't see it being smaller than ATS, in which case it should be named CT2 or CT3.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
56 Posts
Hopefully, for GM’s sake, its only half the piece of junk that the ATS line is.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,454 Posts
Interesting engine choice for the V variant, torque curve is typical for a long stroke turbo 4 but peak horsepower is anemic for the V variant and if it yields real world fuel economy relative to its applications in bigger platforms it isn't great. I think this first gen 2.7 turbo is GM's response to the Ford Eco-boost 2.7 and 3.5 which have been very successful engines and it will probably improve in later versions, but in daily driving in the full size pickup version fuel economy was actually worse than the more powerful naturally aspirated 5.3 V8. Maybe the 2.7 will look much better with a lighter load when presumably it won't be under boost most of the time.

The CT4 rear end styling may grow on me but it looks Tesla inspired, hopefully the paint quality (read adhesion) is better :) Pretty basic electric cars will kill vehicles like this one in acceleration from a stop so the market for a V version of this type may be significantly limited in total size and certainly time.

It could likely lose a couple of inches to the present ATS in total length if the available space is fully utilized, the third gen CTS was a step back in that efficiency metric of total length to effective cabin space. It will be interesting to test drive and I suspect this design was heavily driven by GM's desire for success in the Chinese market which could be a troublesome bet.

·
Registered
ATS
88 Posts
Also interested in seeing the size specs. Depending on the pricing I may be interested in the CT4-V or CT5-V over the 2020 M3. Definitely want something atleast as big as my ATS or slightly bigger. The thing I'm most looking forward to is supercruise, the German's don't offer this level of autonomous driving in their smaller sedans (yet). Kinda disappointed in the power in these engines considering the V badge.

I really hate the front end. The hood looks ok, but the bumper looks really unappealing to me.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
481 Posts
Well they did one thing right, the c-pillar window molding doesn't have that kink in it like the CT5 does. Otherwise the CT4 is staggeringly bad, I am just in shock. And this is supposed to be a V? Forget the lack of power, the wheel design is very generic and there is no engraved V in the spokes, the wheel gap is atrocious, the front valence and sideskirts are not aggressive at all, the exhaust outlets look gaudy, the trunk is too bulbous like the XTS, straight on rear view is a box a la Ford Taurus, horizontal headlights look pretty much like an Impala's, and the sidemirrors are straight off an ATS. The ATS and CTS are easily better looking cars, they were clean and simple with a great blend of elegance and sportiness that will age well. I was hoping Cadillac would build upon those cars, instead they gave us these atrocities. Not to mention the ATS/CTS got them the younger buyers they wanted, I don't want this thing. I'll be keeping my manual ATS.

2014-2019 will be remembered by enthusiasts as Cadillac's golden age. I have never fallen in and out of love with a brand so fast. RIP Art & Science design language.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
659 Posts
Honestly, it looks fine, but I'm just so underwhelmed by everything they've shown so far. If the LTG is just detuned via software and all the parts are the same, then I guess a tune will remedy the odd step backwards they took with engine power and give us about the same power we get today with a tune. Based on the interior shots, the trans tunnel is up much higher which means, to me at least, there there will definitely be no manual transmission version of the CT4. If true, that means I'm out. I'll be maintaining my ATS or 2012-2018 manual BMW 3-series cars until I can't get parts anymore.

·
Registered
2013 ATS v6
546 Posts
I see this as a replacement for the CTS not the ATS. The center console is wider and taller so it's going to feel cramped inside like the CTS. The hint of tail fin in the back lights is not there like the ATS has so there is really no Cadillac signature there. The front is just OK, the back doesn't look Cadillac in any way.

To be fair I don't like any other new cars at this time, they all seem to be going through an awkward phase and the style trend hasn't matured. The thing that surprised me about the 2013 ATS is that the very first one looked like a well conceived and executed design. Like they had let the design team complete it from concept to production without undermining them.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
240 Posts
So this is an ATS refresh with new powertrain and electronics architecture. I hope they worked on some of the interior packaging, because they sure didn't seem to change the body structure. This CT4-V specifically seems to replace the ATS 3.6 Premium Performance RWD, but it doesn't seem to advance the yard stick that far - just differently. Glad to see the most up to date MRC (gen 4 now, ATS Prem only had gen 2), but sad that still no MRC with AWD - curious if they even bother with a sportier suspension tune for the AWD as well. So far I don't care for the interior that much - probably because they show it in black; my Morello Red w/CF trim is aging super well, looks sharp and is different from other brands - CT4 seems to have the same beats as most other premium-to premium-ish cars, for better or worse. Exterior is a nice evolution that I like, except those taillights - blegh! I don't know if I'd want to replace my ATS with this, depends on how the motor engages in the real world.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,116 Posts
This website has Spec Info on CT4 + CT5:
https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/may/0530-cadillac-vseries.html

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS & CURB WEIGHT CT4-V:
Wheelbase (in. / mm): 109.3 / 2775
Overall Length (in. / mm): 187.2 / 4756 * I didn't think it would be smaller.

Overall Width (in. / mm): 71.5 / 1815 (w/o mirrors); 77.7 / 1974 (w/ mirrors)

Overall Height (in. / mm): 56.0 / 1423

Track (in. mm): 60.3 / 1532 (front) 61.7 / 1568 (rear)

Curb Weight(lb. / kg): 3616 / 1640 (RWD, est.)

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,420 Posts
Alpha chassis?

Looks like a warmed over ATS design.

10 sp... I hope they fixed the converter shudder that the A8 had.

Super Cruise - I don't think so. Must Have - "OnStar plan, working electrical system, built-in Wi-Fi Hotspot set to “on,” cell reception, and GPS signal required."

Mag Ride - ask the Corvette guys about it and the cost to replace/repair it.

Wow - 4 pot Bembros all around. My POS car has had that as std for at least 4 years.

New 4 banger... I hope it does better than the 2.0 did in its first 2 years.

No coupe... Shades of the ATS Coupe???

I may test drive one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've zero interest in a four banger performance version of the ATS. It needed the 3.0TT LGW and instead they dropped in a truck engine?

GM Design under Michael Simcoe is a disaster zone. The 2019 Camaro refresh, and now these two generic-looking Cadillacs. With no sleek lines, no elegance, and no real sportiness, they look like reheated leftovers from Chevy design efforts. The rear end of the CT4 is particularly bad with a multitude of busy shapes and lack of proportion. It does not look like a $50K car.

Even the Kia Stinger's design is far beyond these abominations.

It's also interesting that Cadillac insists on witholding MRC from AWD buyers. AWD buyers nearly all live in the snow belt, which has the worst roads in the nation, and thus the greatest need for MRC. Basically Cadillac managers have decided to leave money on the table by telling customers "we know you want and even need MRC, but we've decided you're not allowed to have it."

Of course they'll send the RWD MRC CT4 out for car magazine reviews, so buyers will mistakenly think they're buying a great handling sport sedan when they buy the AWD CT4, only to find out that it has frumpy old man handling without the MRC.

No wonder JDN bailed out of Cadillac. He must have been furious at the stupidity of GM's stuffy bureaucracy.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
429 Posts
I see this as a replacement for the CTS not the ATS.
Well, if they wanted a model to be a true 'tweener, the CT4 dimensions could have been a decent candidate: more compact than a mid-size, generously sized for a compact. I like the CT4 better than the 5...for now...but it's not so compelling that I know it's my next car, or that I would have my heart set on anything Cadillac. For now, it appears that depreciation will continue to be Cadillac's greatest sales tool on the used lot. :rolleyes:

As GM has them categorized now:
Group A: MB-193.8″ / Audi-194.4″ / BMW-194.6″ / CTS-195.5"
Group B: MB-184.5″ / Audi-186.1″ / BMW-185.4″ / CT5-193.8″ / ATS-182.8"
Group C: MB-182.3″ / Audi-175.5″ / BMW-174.7″ / CT4-187.2″

Anybody else get the idea that when CT4/5 first started development, they were direct replacements for ATS/CTS? That plan would have been logical.
The specs for the V models announced have surely been under consideration for some time, but most likely intended as V-sport models (just like the CT6 V-sport)...that plan would have made sense.
Both plans would have 'met customer expectations', but both were scrapped. I get the decision to expand the V family, but they desperately needed to announce that change ahead of the launch. It would seem that just as the CT6 V-sport designation was a last minute change, so was the rebadging of CT4/5-V, and all of the discussions happened in (and were limited to) a boardroom somewhere.

Mary: "Hey guys, any ideas how to improve sales over the old ATS/CTS numbers?"
Mark: "Yeah, too bad about those...it's like the V models got all the love...even the V-sports barely got noticed..."
Steve: "Gee, if only all the cars would have a V badge...ha ha ha..."
Mary: "Hey, that gives me a great idea! What if we..."

:v: for the win! ...lol

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD
77 Posts
It's also interesting that Cadillac insists on witholding MRC from AWD buyers. AWD buyers nearly all live in the snow belt, which has the worst roads in the nation, and thus the greatest need for MRC. Basically Cadillac managers have decided to leave money on the table by telling customers "we know you want and even need MRC, but we've decided you're not allowed to have it."

Of course they'll send the RWD MRC CT4 out for car magazine reviews, so buyers will mistakenly think they're buying a great handling sport sedan when they buy the AWD CT4, only to find out that it has frumpy old man handling without the MRC.

No wonder JDN bailed out of Cadillac. He must have been furious at the stupidity of GM's stuffy bureaucracy.
I thought similarly about the MRC. Got interested when in one article it mentioned MRC and AWD available, and then disappointed when the whole story was described in another. Do you suppose it could be a packaging problem (tight space) for both AWD and MRC, or is it just another bizarre poor choice by Cadillac?

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
659 Posts
Looks like a hybrid of Toyota's new Corolla's with some korean mix up. Not very cadillac like.
RIGHT! It's so weird that the down-market triangle-pieces-at-the-edges-of-the-front-fascia that have mostly been used by Toyota, Hyundai, and Ford, have worked their way up to BMW and now Cadillac. It was ugly before and is still ugly now.

CP_Blog_PriusPrime.jpg
2019-hyundai-elantra-front-angle3_13179_089_480x360.jpg
usc90foc271a021001.png
2020-BMW-3-Series-Exterior-1.jpg
cadillac_100702689_m.jpg

In every case, it's just a piece of cheap, unpainted plastic. It's there to try and make the car look sporty, but I don't see how.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts