Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Do you believe the Lyriq will have Ultra Cruise via OTA within 2 years?

• Yes!

• Yes, sooner!

• Yes, longer!

• No

• No for Debut Edition or 2023

• Yes or 2024 model years and beyond

• Don’t care about Ultra Cruise

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had the following thoughts?

1. Qualcomm has several presentations talking about their partnership with GM starting with their Investor day post at the end of 2021

2. Qualcomm created the ‘Digital Chassis’ as part of their ‘SnapDragon’ car architecture. It specializes on a lot of things, with one of them including autonomous driving.

*** I think that the Lyriq fits the qualifications of what GM has put out and what Qualcomm said earlier on about meeting the threshold for Ultra Cruise. I think it will come as an OTA and a higher level OnStar package.

Why do I think this?
Despite an article coming out from GM Authority saying the Celestiq is their guess for the. First vehicle to have Ultra Cruise. GM has made it clear that Ultra Cruise will only be available in Cadillac. It starts in 2023. The Lyriq is a 2023 vehicle (there was no reason they had to give it that early number). The Lyriq will have the two front cameras, side cameras, rear cameras and LiDAR components required for Ultra Cruise. Qualcomm stated it will have their chips in the first models, not years later.

if for no other reason than it makes financial sense for Cadillac and GM to do it. Tesla makes it an option on every vehicle. GM wants to make Super Cruise an option on all of its vehicles,, with a plan to have it on 25 vehicles by 2025. However, it is reserving Ultra Cruise for Cadillac. Other than the Escalade and the upcoming Celestiq, there aren’t any other vehicles in the Cadillac fleet that are at a higher price point than the Lyriq. I am not including V Series ICE vehicles.

it makes sense that they’ll say this is a major OTA win for them when it happens and to prove they are making their existing products better, just like Tesla currently does for its AutoPilot betas and beyond.

does anyone else have any thoughts?

i can link a number of videos that help me put this puzzle piece together, even if it is pure speculation on my part, it all fits.

again, GM Authority has the one article, but the way they came to their conclusion based off one answer from the CEO seemed like a leap.

P.S. There are some good articles about their Red Hat Linux OTA pairing with SnapDragons always connected to the cloud partnership that makes the future bright, assuming our cars ever get delivered.

‘oh, and I am still mad they took away my two plane HUD.
That is all!

·
Registered
2016 ELR
1,056 Posts

1. Qualcomm has several presentations talking about their partnership with GM starting with their Investor day post at the end of 2021

2. Qualcomm created the ‘Digital Chassis’ as part of their ‘SnapDragon’ car architecture. It specializes on a lot of things, with one of them including autonomous driving.

*** I think that the Lyriq fits the qualifications of what GM has put out and what Qualcomm said earlier on about meeting the threshold for Ultra Cruise. I think it will come as an OTA and a higher level OnStar package.

Why do I think this?
Despite an article coming out from GM Authority saying the Celestiq is their guess for the. First vehicle to have Ultra Cruise. GM has made it clear that Ultra Cruise will only be available in Cadillac. It starts in 2023. The Lyriq is a 2023 vehicle (there was no reason they had to give it that early number). The Lyriq will have the two front cameras, side cameras, rear cameras and LiDAR components required for Ultra Cruise. Qualcomm stated it will have their chips in the first models, not years later.

if for no other reason than it makes financial sense for Cadillac and GM to do it. Tesla makes it an option on every vehicle. GM wants to make Super Cruise an option on all of its vehicles,, with a plan to have it on 25 vehicles by 2025. However, it is reserving Ultra Cruise for Cadillac. Other than the Escalade and the upcoming Celestiq, there aren’t any other vehicles in the Cadillac fleet that are at a higher price point than the Lyriq. I am not including V Series ICE vehicles.

it makes sense that they’ll say this is a major OTA win for them when it happens and to prove they are making their existing products better, just like Tesla currently does for its AutoPilot betas and beyond.

i can link a number of videos that help me put this puzzle piece together, even if it is pure speculation on my part, it all fits.

again, GM Authority has the one article, but the way they came to their conclusion based off one answer from the CEO seemed like a leap.

P.S. There are some good articles about their Red Hat Linux OTA pairing with SnapDragons always connected to the cloud partnership that makes the future bright, assuming our cars ever get delivered.

That is all!
There are a couple articles on GM Authority regarding this, as well as other info online. Supposedly confirmed that existing vehicles with SuperCruise would not be able to be updated to UltraCruise - different sensor suite and brain.

SuperCruise has undergone many changes since its intro, and the Lyriq will have the newest/latest in that regard. That said, assuming the Lyriq is a success, UltraCruise will surely be available on later Lyriqs some day - model year unknown.

·
Registered
LYRIQ Debut Edition (22",SatnStl,SkyCool)
360 Posts

Most car companies are notoriously bad about adding features to sold vehicles once they leave the showroom floor. I honestly can't see that changing much because OTA updates become available. I'm sure they would still much rather sell you a later model car with the added features than add more value to an already sold vehicle.
I'm sure GM is primarily looking at OTA updates as a way to cut down on service visits as compared to a mechanism for adding features. While Tesla essentially pioneered OTA updating, it was almost out of necessity due to their limited servicing infrastructure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Signs point to no:

The first iteration of Snapdragon Ride consists of two chips, the ADAS processor and an artificial intelligence (AI) accelerator. They can be used in various combinations to provide whatever level of performance is needed. GM was the first automaker to adopt the Snapdragon Ride platform and will actually be using a couple of different combinations. The Cadillac Lyriq EV launching this spring will use one ADAS processor to run its Super Cruise system. Ultra Cruise will use two ADAS processors and one AI accelerator.

·
Registered
2023 AWD/20/Noir/Blue (May order)
551 Posts
Most car companies are notoriously bad about adding features to sold vehicles once they leave the showroom floor. I honestly can't see that changing much because OTA updates become available.
I don't see UltraCruise happening either but I think you'll see new features added to old cars where it's possible. Why? Because its an opportunity to upsell. Remember that after 3 years SuperCruise will likely be a subscription product. If GM could sell UltraCruise to a 3 year old car capable of running it for, say, and additional $5 a month, wouldn't they take the opportunity to do so? it doesn't cost them anything additional to do it, except the nominal cost for the OVA upgrade, but the owner is already paying for that bandwidth.

The question boils down to whether the hardware is capable of running the software.

·
Vendor
490 Posts

Why do I think this?

That is all!
Not happening with an OTA update. Physically impossible.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
April 6 2022
GM CEO Barra Says Cruise Origin Ready in 2023.

She noted the company is pushing toward getting self-driving technology into people’s everyday vehicles, but the progress is coming in steps. She noted Super Cruise, which came out a few years ago was the first step in the process.
Ultra Cruise set to arrive next year is the next step in the evolution.
The biggest issue getting the technology to the point where the vehicle is responsible for the driving.

Link Here

Maybe the AWD Lyriq due in 2023 will have Ultra Cruise.

If not then which vehicle will have Ultra Cruise?

With the Blazer EV reveal July 18 and in US showrooms in spring 2023 then it may have it.
Also adding BEV versions of the Silverado pickup and Equinox crossover.

·
Registered
279 Posts
April 6 2022
GM CEO Barra Says Cruise Origin Ready in 2023.

She noted the company is pushing toward getting self-driving technology into people’s everyday vehicles, but the progress is coming in steps. She noted Super Cruise, which came out a few years ago was the first step in the process.
The biggest issue getting the technology to the point where the vehicle is responsible for the driving.

Link Here

Maybe the AWD Lyriq due in 2023 will have Ultra Cruise.

If not then which vehicle will have Ultra Cruise?

With the Blazer EV reveal July 18 and in US showrooms in spring 2023 then it may have it.
Also adding BEV versions of the Silverado pickup and Equinox crossover.
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of these systems and where they will show up.

SuperCruise will keep getting new capabilities and boundaries, and is the mass market product Level 2 ADAS **Driver always responsible for the car control

UltraCruise is an improvement from SuperCruise in hardware and software and enables more wide use "95% of daily driving" Level 2-3 ADAS that will debut on Celestiq for the first model years This system uses many sensors and not cheap. Escalade IQ likely the second vehicle to get UltraCruise as on option in 2025 **Driver still must be fully engaged and ready to take over at all times

Cruise automation (Bolt and Origin) is a level 4 autonomous driving system that is for GM Robotaxi fleet, and won't be sold to the public anytime soon. *No driver or controls in the vehicle needed.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of these systems and where they will show up.

SuperCruise will keep getting new capabilities and boundaries, and is the mass market product Level 2 ADAS **Driver always responsible for the car control

UltraCruise is an improvement from SuperCruise in hardware and software and enables more wide use "95% of daily driving" Level 2-3 ADAS that will debut on Celestiq for the first model years This system uses many sensors and not cheap. Escalade IQ likely the second vehicle to get UltraCruise as on option in 2025 **Driver still must be fully engaged and ready to take over at all times

Cruise automation (Bolt and Origin) is a level 4 autonomous driving system that is for GM Robotaxi fleet, and won't be sold to the public anytime soon. *No driver or controls in the vehicle needed.
Yes this is explained in the gmauthority site.

I was referring to the link for the quote from Barra for... in the *
No misunderstanding here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love all the different takes. I think the most interesting thing is that the Lyriq will have more sensors in it than a modern Tesla, with the LiDAR hardware. If they can do it without for their older models, than I think there is a chance with improved coding that a new model Lyriq stands a chance. As they stated, Ultra Cruise will be reserved for Cadillac for the next several years, with Super Cruise going to the other brands. With cloud computing and a higher subscription fee, I think it’s more than possible it happen.

GM’s motto of zero crashes, emissions and etc. means the Lyriq is in the Sweet spot for these features.

do they reserve it for Celestiq and Escalade, possibly, but if Tesla can offer it in ther $40k car (plus $12k for it) than GM could in it’s $65k vehicle and charge monthly for it. Every manufacturer wants reoccurring revenue and software as a service is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Timing of Super Cruise verses Ultra Cruise, verses just "Cruise", depends in part on the competition. If Ultra Cruise is viewed as a high-value asset, and no one else has it, GM will keep it exclusive and charge big $$ for it as an option on Caddies and other high-value vehicles. If Ford or Mercedes develop their respective AV systems, then the consumer has a choice, and there is competition, and GM will offer Ultra Cruise on other vehicles, at competitive prices. I think Mercedes is closer than some think. GM may have sole ownership of the Ultra Cruise level AV for 2-3 years, and after 2-3 years others will catch-up. When that happens, it's a whole new ballgame....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Timing of Super Cruise verses Ultra Cruise, verses just "Cruise", depends in part on the competition. If Ultra Cruise is viewed as a high-value asset, and no one else has it, GM will keep it exclusive and charge big $$ for it as an option on Caddies and other high-value vehicles. If Ford or Mercedes develop their respective AV systems, then the consumer has a choice, and there is competition, and GM will offer Ultra Cruise on other vehicles, at competitive prices. I think Mercedes is closer than some think. GM may have sole ownership of the Ultra Cruise level AV for 2-3 years, and after 2-3 years others will catch-up. When that happens, it's a whole new ballgame....
You are so right. That’s the one thing I’ll say Tesla supposedly has and that’s the future proofing. All of its cars have looked the same forever, but there is actually something kind of safe in knowing you aren’t falling behind and you can kind of stay in love with your purchase. It’s like remodeling a house. You want to upgrade your car vs getting a new one sometimes.
I guess we will see.

·
Registered
2023 AWD/20/Noir/Blue (May order)
551 Posts
That’s the one thing I’ll say Tesla supposedly has and that’s the future proofing.
I disagree. The way I see it is that if the capability is built into every car, and is activated by paying extra (now or in the future) for it then there is cost in every car for something I may or may not want. It's either that or the cost of the hardware in every car is built into the, say 30%, of cars that actually pay for it. It's nice to not have to make the choice upfront but nothing is "free".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ultracruise is very much in the development stage and the hardware is different from Supercruise. There is no timeline for Ultracruise yet. By the way GM is handing Lyriq, it took 4-5 year for developing this vehicle and still some features like supercruise and HD camera is delayed at launch, HUD is deleted, I dont think GM is capable of launching Ultracruise anytime soon. Forget about backward compatibility.

·
Vendor
490 Posts
Ultracruise is very much in the development stage and the hardware is different from Supercruise. There is no timeline for Ultracruise yet. By the way GM is handing Lyriq, it took 4-5 year for developing this vehicle and still some features like supercruise and HD camera is delayed at launch, HUD is deleted, I dont think GM is capable of launching Ultracruise anytime soon. Forget about backward compatibility.
Ultracruise will make it's debut on the Celestiq. I will possibly be seeing the Celestiq next month out west during a Cadillac meeting. Will also be driving the LYRIQ. Not sure if photos/video are allowed during the drive. If they are....I'll have plenty to show everyone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion, first UltraCruise is NOT an AV (autonomous vehicle) technology, its simply a more advanced driver assist, which is given more sensors and computing power than a SuperCruise equipped vehicle. UltraCruise will be the highest consumer facing technology in the forceable future.

Cruise (cruise automation) is an AV (autonomous vehicle) development arm of GM, and its mission currently is to keep developing the AV technology and deploy a robotaxi fleet that generates revenue. This technology needs a lot of further development, and a massive reduction in sensor and compute cost before it will ever be sold to the public in any vehicle. Currently the cost for the autonomous driving suite on a Cruise Bolt or Origin is measured in hundreds of thousands of dollars, that's not a consumer product.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts