Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately - and I know I previously expressed no interest in modifying my car for performance... But I've also been feeling that it may be a waste to do nothing at all. Can I have an LT1 and do nothing with it? Maybe... Maybe not...

I'd like to have a BIG thread with everything in one place regarding what can be done to these engines - and some side notes as to what affects they'll have on the car (good and bad). I'd like to discuss the LT4 modification kit that one person mentioned, supercharging options, etcetera.. Okay?

So let's begin.. Where does one start-off?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Okay. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately - and I know I previously expressed no interest in modifying my car for performance... But I've also been feeling that it may be a waste to do nothing at all. Can I have an LT1 and do nothing with it? Maybe... Maybe not...

I'd like to have a BIG thread with everything in one place regarding what can be done to these engines - and some side notes as to what affects they'll have on the car (good and bad). I'd like to discuss the LT4 modification kit that one person mentioned, supercharging options, etcetera.. Okay?

So let's begin.. Where does one start-off?

The thing you got to think about when switching a power plant in a car is what is your budget. Do you have enough to have a crate motor shipped to you already built or do you need to find one used. What horsepower rating do you want for a mininium? Do you care about gas milage? I have been thinking the same for my 92 Eldo. I have found used LT1 engines for around $2G. Most of them are rated around 300 hp. Ill do some more research to see what i can find around the salvage yards and post that.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
The thing you got to think about when switching a power plant in a car is what is your budget. Do you have enough to have a crate motor shipped to you already built or do you need to find one used. What horsepower rating do you want for a mininium? Do you care about gas milage? I have been thinking the same for my 92 Eldo. I have found used LT1 engines for around $2G. Most of them are rated around 300 hp. Ill do some more research to see what i can find around the salvage yards and post that.
The '94-'96 Fleetwoods use the LT1 as standard equipment, so no conversion would be needed. He was seeking hop-up advice to get more power from his stock LT1.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
The '94-'96 Fleetwoods use the LT1 as standard equipment, so no conversion would be needed. He was seeking hop-up advice to get more power from his stock LT1.
My bad sorry about that. I would look into a pair of heads for the motor. That should help a great deal

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
I swear I miss out on a ton of posts because of that damn "view new posts" button. I only surf by using that, but if I do happen to look into the individual areas, theres a TON of stuff I miss!!!! :mad:

/rant

Sorry 'bout that! Had to vent!

Sal, the biggest restrictions for the stock motor are the intake and exhaust. You can easily open up about 15-20 horses if you "fix" both those poblems. :) If you delete home plate and first base (look at your engine and you'll see what I mean) and swiss cheese or cut out the stock airbox, it'll help A LOT! A plain old hockey puck will take car of home plate. I used two 45* 3" pvc bends and a 2" piece of pvc and a 3" rubber coupler (Home Depot, less than 10 bucks) to eliminate "1st base" by making a short "S" shaped path. And the airbox, just cut out the bottom side and front and you'll realy wake the car up. The stock mufflers are very restrictive too. I use Summit Turbo mufflers ($14.75 each!) to replace the stockers. The sound great and an exhaust shop should be able to install them for less than 50 bucks. And they don't intrude, noise wise. But you'll get PLENTY of compliments on the sound.

Also, the throttle body coolant bypass helps out too, and it's a free mod. There's a coolant line that runs from the coolant tank to the TB that circulates hot coolant through it to prevent icing in the winter. It doesn't get cold enough to worry about that where I am, nevermind where you are. So all it does is heat up the air charge into the plenum. Cooler air is "more powerful" air so any way you can cool it will help. So you disconnect that line from the TB side and route it to the intake where the outlet from the TB goes. It's a free mod. :) I have pics if you need them.

So if you do those, you're out less than 100 bucks and you'll have a big SOTP improvement. You'll probably be a few tenths quicker at the track too... ;)

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. This sounds like a great start.. Pictures? Sure, I can use them. I'm not mechanically inclined - but I have tools and intend on trying this out myself..

Delete homeplate.. Okay.. What's a 'hockey puck' that I'll be replacing it with? And why does homeplate restrict intake while the hockey puck doesn't?

Delete first base.. Okay..I guess after I make this new PCV pathway, just connect the two whatevers that are no longer connected. Right?

Airbox.. Cut out the bottom and front - then put it back.. That's it?

Exhaust.. Summit Turbo Mufflers.. Okay...

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass.. I guess I could always reconnect it during the Winter if it gets really cold. But what if I don't?

Thanks.. This all sounds easy enough.. If this can bring me up near 280hp, that would be very nice...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal,
The first thing you really need to do is decide what you want to get from the car (a little better throttle response, better 1/4 mile times, etc). There are a lot of modifications available for the LT1 and the rest of your drivetrain in general. A good place to start is the Impala SS home page at: http://w3.one.net/~rcheek/impala/home.html
They list a number of mods that will work on your car, and give a lot of "in-depth" info on them.
I would hesitate to do any "internal" engine mods to the stock LT1 since they are well known to cause bearing failures. If you don't believe me, you can verify this by checking out the last edition of GM High-Tech Performance. There was a small mention of the issue in it.
Just remember that there's very little you can do that doesn't effect something else on the car, so it's very important to plan out your mods properly to make sure that they will work together and no against each other. Modifying cars and/or engines is expensive enough but if you just start throwing mods at it hap-hazardly, it can become a friggin' money-pit and MAY end up not running much better at all.
Plan your mods, spend the money once, get the most bang for the buck.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried taking a look at that link but the page must have been taken down.. Is there a replacement yet? I'm not really looking to race the car or anything. I just miss the power of my ETC.. A little better wouldn't hurt...

The mods mentioned in here so far couldn't hurt. Right? It seems they're all pretty much things to quiet things up.. What would YOU do next after these?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal, check out this thread from my local club for info on the intake. Great info there! There a few links in it you may want to bookmark, like the Impala Technical Archive page. :)

Here's a pic of my pvc pipe intake (sewer pipe) and you can see where the hocket puck would go in the elbow at the TB. I had an aluminum plug my friend made in there (with a chevy bowtie on it), but a plain old, ice hockey puck works fine! I had a Bruins one in there for a while. :)

You may want to join up on the www.impalassforum.com and search for the TB bypass mod over there. Tons of info and a great group of guys! :D

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Katshot said:
I would hesitate to do any "internal" engine mods to the stock LT1 since they are well known to cause bearing failures. If you don't believe me, you can verify this by checking out the last edition of GM High-Tech Performance. There was a small mention of the issue in it.
I can't believe you referenced that article... Of all people who I thought would raise the BS flag on that one, you'd be at the top of my list. That article was a joke. Yeah, some people have noticed bearing failure. Most haven't. People having bearing failure on stock motors too. If you do it right, you've got nothing to worry about. But, that's neither here nor there, as he isn't going that way with his car...

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! I'll be paying a lot of attention to this thread for awhile. And I'll sign up over at those other forums as soon as I can...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Thank you! I'll be paying a lot of attention to this thread for awhile. And I'll sign up over at those other forums as soon as I can...
You don't need to sign up at the other places to view the threads. :) But I suggest you check the one from my local club. It's very recent, and there are some GREAT pictures in it. And some great links too... Very helpful link. :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
I can't believe you referenced that article... Of all people who I thought would raise the BS flag on that one, you'd be at the top of my list. That article was a joke. Yeah, some people have noticed bearing failure. Most haven't. People having bearing failure on stock motors too. If you do it right, you've got nothing to worry about. But, that's neither here nor there, as he isn't going that way with his car...
Bill,
Once again, I find myself scratching my head over one of your posts. More times than I can count, you post comments like this one and it makes me wonder what you are basing the statement on.
For a guy that admittedly has virtually no automotive experience, lets his freinds do the mods to his car while he either watches or aids as a "helper", you tend to have rather strong opinions concerning technical topics. Sal started the thread to gather the largest amount of technical info that he could concerning modding the LT1 and not necessarily just to aid him in his personal quest for possible mods for his car. My comment about the article was to point out that doing the mods described in the article to the LT1 DOES IN FACT pose a very real threat to the very life of the engine as described. I think it's rather wreckless to blatently discount an article like this, especially considering the parties involved. I'm sure Jason Cohen of Motorsport Technologies, Inc. would be more than happy to explain his comments to you.
IMO, anyone giving automotive advice should try to be as cautious as possible with other peoples money, especially people with such limited automotive experience.

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
Sal!
You are talkin years and years of the Chevy SB here. It is up to your wallet.

If ya got a heavy horse...go for more cubes. The SB smallblock has 40 years of history and success. My shop built over 800. and dynoed most for custom apps.

Since retiring, I have been impressed with the NS in my wifes car. Life goes on...Til!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Katshot said:
Bill,
Once again, I find myself scratching my head over one of your posts. More times than I can count, you post comments like this one and it makes me wonder what you are basing the statement on.
For a guy that admittedly has virtually no automotive experience, lets his freinds do the mods to his car while he either watches or aids as a "helper", you tend to have rather strong opinions concerning technical topics. Sal started the thread to gather the largest amount of technical info that he could concerning modding the LT1 and not necessarily just to aid him in his personal quest for possible mods for his car. My comment about the article was to point out that doing the mods described in the article to the LT1 DOES IN FACT pose a very real threat to the very life of the engine as described. I think it's rather wreckless to blatently discount an article like this, especially considering the parties involved. I'm sure Jason Cohen of Motorsport Technologies, Inc. would be more than happy to explain his comments to you.
IMO, anyone giving automotive advice should try to be as cautious as possible with other peoples money, especially people with such limited automotive experience.
Kevin, I do not claim to have " virtually no automotive experience" as you say. As a matter of fact, I believe I know quite a bit about the automotive world. I'm just not as comfortable actually doing some of the big jobs by myself. So I joke about it... That's no reason to go after me here. It just makes you look like more of an *******. This is supposed to be a friendly discussion board, and just because I don't agree with you, you once again lash out at me. And you don't just do it to me. It's getting tiresome and I'm getting sick of it again. You know, it is possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. You really piss me off sometimes. Ever hear the phrase "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"??

I read that article, and I think it's total BS, only published to make people worry unneccessarily. Yeah, there is always the risk of failure whenever you do a mod, especially a big one like heads and cam, but like I said, if you do it right, and pay attention, you most likely will be fine. I have seen both sides of the discussion, and I know people who have done this. There have been failures, but they had come down to assembly issues or poor parts choice. The big reason some LT1's tend to spin bearing after a heads and cam package is because some people go with such a radical set up, and rev the motor to the moon because their new heads and cam will do that, that they go well outside the boundaries of what is safe with the stock shortblock, and stock oiling system. You just have to know the limitations and plan accordingly. But like I said, this is not what Sal is planning to do, so it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sorry Bill but again you are both missing the point AND this last comment ALSO points to your lack of experience.
The first point was that Sal DID NOT state that this thread was to be limited to what mods he is currently considering. If you read his comments since he got his car, he's gone from stating he was NOT going to mod it, to his current statements that seem to be quite the opposite. So I'm not sure even SAL knows what Sal wants right now, so how do you?
The second point was that you HAVE made mention in prior threads that you have little or no automotive mechanical experience/technical know-how. I'm just repeating what YOU have said. If now you say that you DO have experience, sorry I'm not a mind-reader.
The third point was that I was trying to bring a REAL issue to light for anyone that reads this thread, and utilized an article from a respected publication, written by a professional in the automotive field. I believe it to be irresponsible and wreckless to make a blanket statement as you did that the article was BS.
And finally, your statements: "I read that article, and I think it's total BS, only published to make people worry unneccessarily. Yeah, there is always the risk of failure whenever you do a mod, especially a big one like heads and cam, but like I said, if you do it right, and pay attention, you most likely will be fine."
and
"The big reason some LT1's tend to spin bearing after a heads and cam package is because some people go with such a radical set up, and rev the motor to the moon because their new heads and cam will do that, that they go well outside the boundaries of what is safe with the stock shortblock, and stock oiling system."
are totally ridiculous. Please tell me technically what the hell doing a cam and head swap has to do with your engine's safe RPM limit? "....because their new heads and cam will do that......" HUH?
Do you even know what mis-aligned main bearing bores or thermal fatigue are? Those statements just served to prove my point here.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kevin, I'm not going to get into another childish pissing match with you. In a nutshell, all I can see in that artice is "If you do heads and cam without us, you'll grenade your motor, but WE know how to do it right, so pay the extra money and let us do the work." That's all magazine articles are anyways. The vendor paid a great deal to get their name in there. Yeah, magazine articles are gospel... :rolleyes: That's the way I see it. And, Yes, I know what misaligned main bearing bores and thermal fatigue are. I'm not going to go into full definition mode to redeem myself in your eyes, because to me, it's not worth the effort. If you think I'm an idiot, or if you think I'm full of sh!t, then fine. Believe what you want. This is the internet and I've got nothing to prove. Believe me or don't. I don't need to get worked up over this with you, it ain't worth it. I come to these boards for fun. But it seems when I come to this one all I do is argue with you.

So much for putting together a LT1 mod list... :rolleyes:

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Gentlemen - We are grateful for the knowledge and experience both of you bring to the table. You have both stated your opinions in this matter and the reasoning behind them. There is clearly some disagreement. Please let's refrain from making this an unpleasant discussion. You are both entitled to think whatever you want about each other - *but* it is counterproductive to attempt to undermine each other publicly with barbs.
Sal Collaziano said:
I'd like to have a BIG thread with everything in one place regarding what can be done to these engines - and some side notes as to what affects they'll have on the car (good and bad).
The information from both of you is appropriate to the discussion Sal started - as long as it's done without rancor.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts