Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BBC gives Jeremy Clarkson the boot .... "Top Gear" suspended from airing!

Well, the perennial adolescent that is Jeremy Clarkson finally succeeded in getting the BBC to fire his bum. Apparently Clarkson has been treading on thin ice for sometime for his continual use of racial and ethnic slurs both on and off the air. The press release sad nothing about the UK's "Top Gear" being taken off the air internationally.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Re: The BBC gives Jeremy Clarkson the boot .... "Top Gear" suspended from airing!

He was making racial slurs on the air? I guess he got what was coming to him. I enjoy the US version of Top Gear, but I really preferred the UK series. I'll miss it.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
The BBC News reported that Clarkson has been suspended for hitting a producer. Apparently the last straw after several other incidents of ethnic and racial slurs (as Orconn has already stated).

Right off I'll say that If Clarkson is guilty of the reported behaviors he deserves to be suspended/fired.

It would be a damn shame though if Top Gear didn't return. It is a terrific show with fantastic videography, beautiful locations, hilarious childish antics, and of course those wonderful exotics that most of us may never get to see in person, much less drive.

What really makes the show for me is the chemistry between Clarkson, May, and Hammond. Unlike the team on the American version, the three Brits appear to genuinely be friends.

Whether Clarkson returns or not I hope Top Gear resumes soon!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Re: The BBC gives Jeremy Clarkson the boot .... "Top Gear" suspended from airing!

It is a terrific show with fantastic videography, beautiful locations, hilarious childish antics....
What really makes the show for me is the chemistry between Clarkson, May, and Hammond. Unlike the team on the American version, the three Brits appear to genuinely be friends.
Exactly what I would have said earlier if my parents weren't first cousins. Totally nailed it. The US version feels forced, the UK version feels a lot more natural, like watching three old friends hang out and have fun. Like a "buddy" movie.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts

::yawn:: Again? Don't worry, he'll be back.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts

According to this morning's paper he's only been suspended - & the last 2 episodes of the current series won't be shown (yet!).

Whatever the rights & wrongs of this latest nonsense, the truth of the matter is: Clarkson IS Top Gear - & it makes the BBC a lot of money. He, on the other hand is, reputedly, worth £30m (&, probably, more popular than the BBC); so who should be worried?

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts

On the other hand... this could also be as "real" as some of their bits on the show...

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
There are already over 400,000 signers of the petition!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

Presumably because while he's suspended, he can't appear on TV - it's pretty tough on May & Hammond too!

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts

Just have Hammond and May do the live bits without Clarkson. Put James May in the interview seat and let him do the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car bit. Personally James dry sense of humor and wit is funnier than Clarkson most of the time IMO.

----------

Just have Hammond and May do the live bits without Clarkson. Put James May in the interview seat and let him do the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car bit. Personally James dry sense of humor and wit is funnier than Clarkson most of the time IMO.
Also to give some context to this dispute, the BBC is a quasi-government owned company funded by taxpayer pounds, kind of like(but not really) PBS. Their culture is fair and balanced, no politics, very politically correct. If you watch the BBC News, its just the news, no political spin like Fox or MSNBC. The producers at the BBC have the mentality "Nobody is bigger than the BBC", and they've warned Clarkson and Top Gear several times about being politically incorrect. The BBC isn't Comedy Central where anything goes, as being government owned, they feel they are an extension of the government and an ambassador of Britian's values and culture.

Personally its all a petty feud between Clarkson and some power trippin BBC executives. I bet Clarkson will be sacked, and Top Gear as we know it will not exist. Another channel might pick up Clarkson, or BBC might try a rebooted format of Top Gear with different hosts(all of their contracts were up for negotiation BTW), hard to say what will happen.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I agree that May is outstanding, but having seen him in his own series last year, he needs the others.

A good straight man is nothing without his buffoon. That's why Dean Martin made his fame in singing and not comedy.
If the other two have an out in their contract, and Clarkson is fired, they will no doubt end up on another network with a big pay raise in something called "High Gear" or the like.

Anyone have a link to the petition? I am, er..ah....asking for a friend....

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts

Personally never been a fan of Clarkson. It's hilarious to see all the comments about how he's the greatest automotive journalist, etc. online right now.

Bullshit. He's biased, changes his stance more than I change my underwear, and has a tired and unappealing schtick.

Meh. I'm not missing much here at all.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Personally never been a fan of Clarkson. It's hilarious to see all the comments about how he's the greatest automotive journalist, etc. online right now.

Bullshit. He's biased, changes his stance more than I change my underwear, and has a tired and unappealing schtick.

Meh. I'm not missing much here at all.
I agree completely!

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts

I don't look at Clarkson as an automotive journalist or critic or take him seriously in any way. I never have, because he's a total tool. I just think he's incredibly entertaining, and without him the dynamic of the show would be -way- different. Not in a good way. I love the three of them together, it's just so much fun! I try to see it as a funny TV series, and the I only marginally take James or Richard seriously, not at all from Clarkson. It's just damn good entertainment in my eyes.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Agreed, automotive based entertainment.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

Read some of Clarkson's non-motoring stuff, I reckon he's a pretty good (i.e. entertaining) journalist; something he doesn't even pretend to be on TV (or, possibly, even Top Gear Magazine). There's never been a proper motoring prog. on British TV, at best it's been mainstream (bit like the motoring page/column in a paper) but usually entertainment focused - & Top Gear is the best of it's kind: juvenile, irreverent, irrelevant even & people love it, largely thanks to Clarkson.

His appeal is that he says what a lot of people think which might just explain why 600,000 people want him back (if that petition had been published elsewhere - it would HAVE to have been debated in parliament - how mad is that?). But we've been here before, at least once, on this very forum. However, this time there's the question that only the man himself can answer "why did he think an asst. producer was responsible for hot food (or lack of it) in their hotel?"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts