Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Coupe DeVille DeElegance O.D.-47,899
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so first off my name is Adam and I am a new member here... Not new to cars but new to Cadillac's.

Bought my first caddy a few months back... 84 Coupe DeVille w/48k original miles... 1 owner car, have had a few issues but now I'm tackling the wipers.

Wipers work, all the delays/speeds work.
Washers do not work
Wipers once turned on will not turn off, when turned to the "Off" position they will stay at full speed (almost as if they are stuck in the washer setting) then when moved out of the off position act as they should... but still will not turn off...
To turn them off I must turn the key off with the wipers in the off position, then wait a few seconds and hear a "click" sound..(sounds electrical) then key on and wipers will finish there swipe and set back down to there happy space.
If I turn the key back to the on position Before I here the clicking sound they will still be stuck in the high setting.

So first of all I did some testing and research and found many different similar issues ... I know my switch is good, I know my washer level sensor is bad...

I removed the wiper motor cover and see that it appears as though the motor itself is supposed to drive the pump?... The shaft protruding out of the motor out of the front cover does not turn... Not sure if it is supposed to but I looks like there is a cam that rides that shaft to possibly run the pump...

Secondly I found a quick fix for my non shut off issue. I removed the Blue wire in the right side plug (3 pin, top down is #1purple, #2..2 white wires, #3 gray .. and the separate blue up top)
The blue wire is not part of the female plug, it is the upper most tab and is on its own, goes into the circuit board... For whatever reason removing this wire caused my non stop issue to go away, they function totally normal now other than not having washers... The washer button will make a click sound (similar to the clicking sound I mentioned after turning the key to the off position when the wipers we're stuck on)...

I'm no electrician but here's what I've done... With a multi meter & test light. I found that the switch in the dash does the following...

Dash switch
H-G-F-E-D-C-B-A
H-Green
G-n/a
F-Purple
E-Gray
D-n/a
C-Red
B-Black
A-Gray

Key off
Power- none
Ground- A,B,D,E,G,H

Key on wipers off
Power- A,C,F
Ground- B,D,E,G,H

Key on wipers "stuck on" in "OFF" position
Power- A
Ground- A,C,F

Wipers on in slow position
Power- A,C,G,H
Ground- None
*Test light when touched too G & H causes wipers to go on full speed and light dies as wipers move

Key on w/plugs off motor
Power- A,C
Ground- B,D,E,G,H
When wash button is pushed it cuts power from C.

I really need a good wiring diagram, I've searched but find crap... Should buy a Hanes manual.

If I jump the 2 terminals at the washer fluid sensor and send power to the hot side it lights the dash light ...

Tried cleaning the washer sprayer hoses... Tried priming it and running it with the 2 hoses leaving the pump too the sprayers off and nothing. Maybe just a bad pump? Or is that shaft supposed to spin??

My motor has a 3 terminal "L" shaped plug with green,wht&pink wires

And the plug I mentioned with purple/double white/gray and blue separate on top going from the circuit board to the pump...

I think the little green cover is the pulse relay??

In over my head and this is my daily driver in a Buffalo winter so I need washers... Also I can't afford buying a new $140 wiper motor/pump/pulse assembly.

Any help is appreciated, and hope the blue wire removal trick can help someone else in my position...

Thanks,
Adam B.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,272 Posts
The washer pump cam is binding. With the dust shield off, start the wipers and spray the moving assembly with brakleen. The hook that engages the cam becomes gummed up and won't allow the wipers to stop until the motor loses all power, similar to you just holding the button down when you're calling for fluid to clean the windshield.

If this car is a winter beater in upstate NY I would recommend losing the cam operated pump and using the lead that's energized with the WASH button depressed to run a new electric pump. The original setup was unreliable and a poor performer even when new-especially dealing with salt spray.

·
Registered
1996 Federal Heritage Hearse
230 Posts
BTW the washer problem is soo messed up that GM sells an AC Delco washer pump bypass kit that includes a separate electric pump, hoses, and fittings so that the washer part of the wiper motor assembly is no longer in use. However, if the wiper motor does not stop the wiper movement when told to do so, that means the wiper system is not parking the the blades, and the wiper motor assembly has to be rebuilt or replaced. There is an internal switch that the motor assembly's internal electronics use to park the blades and when the switch wears out the blades will run when they are not supposed to.

·
Registered
1984 Coupe DeVille DeElegance O.D.-47,899
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try that next, I did try to pull the little linkage with the small spring back and run the wipers with no results .. as well as the H shaped lever on top

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
THe most common problem is the pump that cam that does it like smokus said. The only way I've ever been able to permanently fix the problem is to replace the washer pump but the new ones end up having the same problem too. There's nothing wrong with the wiper motor assembly it's how it interacts with the pump that makes it not park.
If you can't make it stop with the pump them it's the control board that's bad that can also be replaced without replacing the whole assembly.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,605 Posts
what I have done is just put a newer type motor vane pump , like in newer cars , in the hose going to the old pump and just tap the power going to the old pump to the new pump. The only difference is that with the old pump you only have to push for a moment to start the pump, with the new pump you have to hold the button in for as long as you want it to run. no need to do anything with the old pump, just leave it as is.

·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance
37 Posts
Just a quick follow up on the common washer/wiper problems: I installed the ACDELCO 86713 washer pump replacement last week, took like 15 minutes and it works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts