Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:pop2:OKay so, in 2013 I came across a NICE 88 Brougham with 85K miles on it, Olds 307, factory moon roof, d'Elegance package, black with the grey crushed velour interior. It was originally from Tennessee, which is where I found it during an online search. It was at a used car dealership. I dealt directly with the owner of the small dealership and thought of as many questions as I could to ask, after researching the car and his dealership on line. He told me how he acquired the car, about it's condition and the previous owner, over numerous conversations. I bought it and had it shipped from TN to Massachusetts. This was the Fall, Autumn 2013.
Notice the ramps. It was a two tier car carrier and my car was on the top

Since it was Fall, I wanted to hurry and get the car checked out serviced and covered before the propellers, acorns, sap, leaves and (Lord save us) snow start falling. The car checked out A-Okay, no rust no rot, very well maintained, a strong well taken care of 307, as far as 307's go. The original radio was in the car, but didn't work, although the tape player worked...sometimes. A park light lamp was out, but other than that, cruise control to climate control was in good working order. You can tell the car has sat though. The tires although new, had tiny dry cracks and the windows have rubber residue melted on the edges of them. My transmission guy put it up on the lift and let me walk under it. Everything looked clean, rust free and intact. The ELC had been disconnected and replaced with those springs over shocks. Those would be coming out in the Spring. I had the trans fluid and filter changed, radiator flushed, gas flush and new filter and just tucked it away for the cold months. Before the cover I ordered for it arrived I covered it with the cover from my Concours... but I just couldn't fit all that ass:canttalk::yup: in there

Eventually though I got the right size cover.

...four layer, fleece lined, waterproof, dust proof, UV block, whatever a cover could do for a car, I tried to get it in one cover.

Made a list of all the things I planned to do once the Winter passed. Notice the leaves are just starting to fall..
And there they sat, out of the salt and spinning out drivers, the slush and the muck, tree droppings, even the Sun.

Through the onset of the deep freeze Nov, Dec

And the hibernation of Jan, Feb here in New England. Gotta keep off those salted streets! It's too bad we only get to enjoy our cars less than half the year. I now have a better understanding of what boat owners and motor cyclist deal with. I had another car that I drove through the Winter as well as back and forth to work. Those covers held up nicely even under piled snow, blizzard and Noreasters. I'll get back with more of what I did once the Spring sprung, and what my future plans with it are. Gotta go to:protest: work....

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Black with the gray d'Elegance cloth interior and a factory slider sounds like the perfect combination.:worship:

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
You know the car is nice when you have to go back and look again because the reflection in the chrome looked like a dent. So shiny.

Sweet car, can't wait to see what you've got done on it so far!

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Nice cover, I mean car.

How much did it cost to ship the car and how much of a hassle was it?

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
What a striking car ,thanks for the photos of this great car
Happy Driving :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the positivity my people. My apology for being away for such a duration. You know, life gets in the way. Though I have been able to sneak in some pretty kool Caddy stuff.

----------

Sweet ride!!!
Thanks! I'm real happy with it.

----------

Black with the gray d'Elegance cloth interior and a factory slider sounds like the perfect combination.:worship:
Yeah Dave. I could not let it pass me by when I saw that color combo. I mean, triple black is nice, but I don't know... Something about the grey is right in the pocket. Plus it's in crushed velour and a d'Elegance package:bonkers::bouncy::highfive: And oh, do I love factory moon roofs, egad!

----------

You know the car is nice when you have to go back and look again because the reflection in the chrome looked like a dent. So shiny.

Sweet car, can't wait to see what you've got done on it so far!
Yeah it's definitely got some flaws, but it's got some killer highlights too though. As you pointed out the chrome is quite nice. If I can keep from ruining it:canttalk: I'll have a really nice car by the time I'm done P-ersonally IMP-rint-ING it out. I mean, it's nice now, but the wrong accessory or carelessness could take it down a few notches rather than up. We'll see. There's a thin line between classy :suspense:& trashy I'll leave it pretty much factory and won't do any enhancements I can't dial back. At least that's my plan now.

----------

Nice cover, I mean car.

How much did it cost to ship the car and how much of a hassle was it?
Thanks, the cover is pretty sweet too, even though I know you were poking fun. I shipped the car from Kingsport TN to Boston MA and it cost me $600. It was not a hassle at all. Actually the driver was very professional and polite, plus had a great appreciation for the car, and this guy was a hard worker. He climbed all over that two tier truck like a kid on a jungle gym. I kept his number and called him again a year later in regards to another Caddy I bought, but at that point he had dislocated his shoulder pretty badly and had to get out of the business, sell his equipment and everything. I would have used him for all my shipping needs. I ended up getting him through a broker which I contacted from this sight called "transport reviews dot com". You can search by route and read other people's experience with individual drivers as well as brokers, plus see what kind of money they paid.

----------

:rolleyes: Once the Spring (2014) sprung, I took it up the street and put gas in that phat ass! Yeah fellas, there's definitely more than a handful back there. :yup: may be a bit much for some to deal with, but I'll wax that like Kesuke Miyagi taught Daniel LaRusso... You can see the right reflector on the trunk lid is broken. It's on the list...

Then I gave it it's first oil change (well, first under my care). You get a decent view of the profile here, even though it's sitting on jack stands. The engine compartment is nice and the roof line carries the "Premiere Roof" package, which was an option in 88 that covered the rear quarter window and the B-pillar in roof treatment. It kinda gives it an updated look of the 90-92 Broughams, yet retains the classic front end with the park lights below the headlamps, which is really my preference over the light assembly on the 90-92's... only if they made an 88 with a fuel injected 350..

Next, one of my signature P-ersonal IMP-rint moves is fattening up the steering wheel. I mean, it's not my move, it's what we do here in the northeast, since I've been driving Caddies anyway.... "a nice thick cushy feel, when you grip my wheel".. but later models come with leather wrapped wheels. If you notice, in the bottom left corner of the steering wheel bezel, there is a spider web crack. That's on the list too. Plus front bumper fillers (let me just put it out there). They are not bad at all, only one is cracked, but both sides will be replaced. The rear fillers have already been replaced by a previous owner. Some may scoff at it, but if you gripped my wheel (especially on a long drive) you may gain a different appreciation.

More to come. thanks for checking this out. Later ladies, and gentlemen.. :getaway:peace

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I have a set of original front bumper fillers if you're interested. Also have a set of fiberglass ones, but they aren't as good fit/ finish wise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since one of my park lights was out, I got some new bulbs and cleaned the assembly, housing, lens and bezels. I'm really excited about the condition of the chrome on this car. Notice how the grill header reflects the Sun. :cool:need these...

I also cleaned the sockets, while I had everything out and apart.

In this next pic you can see the crack in my front bumper filler. The side one is cracked too. Hopefully when I'm in position to do it I can grab those fillers from Cadillac Kev.

The bezels came out nice.. I rinsed hot soapy water through the lens housings. Not sure how much benefit it was, but I did it as well as the outside.

I sprayed the screws with WD40, though I wish I had some anti-seize grease for the screws and some contact cleaner for the bulb sockets.

One thing about this "Premier Roof" Package is that the roof trim matches the roof color, instead of the roof trim being chrome. Mine was worn in some spots. If you look along the A pillar you can see how the roof trim even looks chrome by the bottom of the windshield, like the window trim, then spotty near the roof line, then black above the window. That should all be black.

Here you can see it again all along the passenger side above both windows.

So... I took all the roof trim off, which was not as easy as I had hoped. Some of the screws were really tough to get out and the trim itself is particularly tight above the padded B pillar. But, it all came off.

Then I sanded them down and gave them a couple good coats of spray paint

They came out great. I'll have some pictures in the upcoming posts, as well as some other things I did. I've got a couple nice full body shots I wanna put up here. But I've really been busy and right now it's time to make the doughnuts.... Okay, I'll catch everybody later....

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
I painted that same trim on my 90 when I first got it, I left it on the car. It turned out great. It was a rattle can job and surprisingly its lasted over 10 years.

Car looks great, Congrats!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so... :pop2:I've got a chance to do a little more updating. This car was in really good condition when I got it and the top was flawless. In my loss for product to use as conditioner for the top, I ended up putting nothing on it before I covered it for the Winter. Then in the Spring I noticed a small split in the top. So ether I didn't notice it before, or the dry top sitting in the extreme cold weather:duh: may have been what caused it.

I purchased some silicone and did a little patch job applied with a paint brush. However I should have used clear instead of black.

I just covered the split so water doesn't seep into it and begin deteriorating my top. Then I did end up putting a nice conditioner down on the top. Wish I would have thought to use anything, even Armorall, over that first Winter, just to keep the thing from drying out and splitting. It's barely noticeable though, and the silicone covered it nicely. You can still see the roof trim, looking like chrome finish, that I eventually painted black.

It was down to Gately's Cadillac and LaSalle Restoration Garage, for rear shocks and springs. The ones on the car were those springs over shocks replacements, but I didn't like those or the way the car sat kinda low. New springs made no difference. I did find the ELC was working properly. I ended up having a manual fill valve installed though, to give me the height I wanted. I wish I could have found a way to rig the lever on the ELC pump so I could have used that instead to raise my trim height. I know a guy that says he has done it on 1st gen Sevilles. So, I'll look into that, because I would like to have the ELC hooked back up. At any rate though, I'm happy with the ride. (spoiler alert... I ended up buying that 92 Brougham:lick: pictured to the left, more on that later...) Oh, and you can see my roof trim is all black now.

So once I had the oil changed, new fluids and filters, shocks and spring and some cosmetic issues addressed, we took the car out to the Cadillac and LaSalle Grand National, which was held in Lake George NY that year. It was a little over a three hour ride from Boston. The car road magnificently. The carburated 307 performs much better than the TH4100 that was in my 85 years ago. There were three of us in the car, no real luggage, but we could get up to 80mph without strain. Still, that engine is not big enough for that car. Going up the many mountains in western MA and NY State was a bit taxing, especially if someone cut you off :annoyed:, breaking your up hill momentum. You might as well pull over to the breakdown lane the rest of the way up the hill. But it was still a very enjoyable ride. Lake George was nice too. It was my first time up that way. Funny, I got to actually park adjacent to the judging ground. Lotta people remarked about my car, comparing it to the other Broughams that were there.

I took it to about four different car shows over that Summer and even though I did not enter it in any of the competitions, it was always well received:bonkers::crowded::highfive::thumbsup:. I really enjoyed that car that Summer. Since it's nice and I would like to preserve it as best as I can, I decided to take it down to my mother's place in Georgia and leave it there for the Winter. She has a three car garage, as well as a nice parking pad, besides a more mild climate and much smoother roads. So during the Fall of 2014 I had a lower ball joint replaced, tires rotated and front end aligned. I waxed it. Then I drove it down from Boston to Georgia. On the way down I stopped in North Carolina and bought a Rolls Royce grill from a guy off Craigslist. The grill is for another car. Here is a full body shot of my 88 down at my mother's house just posting in the driveway. I could not achieve that stance with the ELC compressor. I like the way it sits, :yup: and rides.... oh and looks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
06 DTS, 91 Brougham, 92 Brougham d'Elegance
32 Posts
Peace Classic, having been lucky to be one of the passengers on the ride to Lake George,I can verify the high quality ride of this brougham d'elegance.the handling was so smooth it could serve as a lullaby. Causing key scenic points to be witness only through partially open eyelids. This car was so inspiring I went and purchased a 92 brougham d'elegance of my own .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You didn't happen to get a pic or a part number off the coil overs you took off, did you?
No... I didn't take a picture or take note of the part number. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think they were white with red springs, but I'm not sure of the manufacturer.

----------

What kind of conditioner did you use on the top?
try this link
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/726138-what-best-product-shine-up-vinyl.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts