Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville D'Elgance
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is .... 1997 Cadillac Deville. Body is in great shape as is the interior.

I have what I believe to be a main seal leak that is not real bad but bad enough to make a mess on the driveway.

PCM 0741 Code - have looked that up here - most just live it I have to date (it has been on the last 6 moths or so)

The front shocks may be going. (I have already replaced the rear).

You gotta figure this has to be at least $5k worth of repairs and then it should be almost new ? Of course there are no guarentees something else major goes as well.

That is a lot for a 12 year old car , however what can get for $5k ? And whose to say if the next vehicle will need another $5k ?

I know there is no real answer to this question. It depends on what the car is worth to me , how much I like it , etc. I can't really sell it as what could I ask for it given it's current condition ? Ahhh just venting more or less. I think I will take it to an authorized Cadillac dealer and have them at least give me an estimate. It's too bad - my daughter is still driving my 1992 Deville - should have kept that one :bigroll:

Curious though just for giggles - would anybody serioulsy consider spending that much on a repair ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
Your last line question............"Without question." (The transmission code and rear seal get fixed in the same labor pull.......)

Deville, Seville, Eldorado. Good body and interior ??? Fix it. The new ones look like space crap and have just as many, if not more, bugs.

No, you'll never equal the horsepower and sheer guts of a big engine RWD package. But, then again, they don't look like a Cadillac, either. Any of them could just as well have a Chevy or Mitsubishi sticker on the hood.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
I'm driving an '87 Coupe DeVille. If you like the car, I vote you keep it. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
If you are running synthetic oil you might slow the leak with some heavier dino oil. I used to love the 97-99's but now those 2000's and up are really growing on me. I would drive the 97 into the ground and save up for a newer one that Sub hates lol.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
You might just keep a lookout for a good deal to come along. Someone is bound to "go green" and want out from under their "nasty gas guzzliing cadillac" for a lot less that $5K . YOU come to their rescue and become a 2 cadillac owner with a whole lot of spare parts to go around. Get one of them cherried out just perfect and then dump the other one. It could happen.

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
There's just no way I'd sink five grand into a car that's over 10 years old (that has little or no "collector value"). It's more than the car will likely ever be worth. Thinking that "If I spend five grand, it'll be like new" is just wishful thinking. It would take twenty grand to make it "like new", but then you'd still have a 12 year old car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts