Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 sts v8
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2005 STS V8 with 100,000 miles and the interior and exterior is in absolutely great shape. It actually runs great..I have run into these small issues:
Shifter has 2 inches of play in it when in gear.
The passenger front door wont open from the outside.
The trunk is hard to close.
I apparently have the differential bushing blues.
The A/C clicks and clacks at random time while in "AUTO" mode.

So far the trunk, door and shifter have been fixed. I still have the A/C acts and the differential bushing to replace. After these get taken care of I will be looking at the suspension. The car feels a little "dead" when it hits bumps and such.
I couldnt have fixed the things that needed to be fixed thus far without this forum and the contributions of the members, so big thanks....

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
:welcome: This forum has been a great resource for me ever since I got my 1st Cadillac 10 years ago - I have literally saved THOUSANDS with the help of the folks here and learned even more about these beautiful cars. Sure, you'll get a smart ass remark here and there, or someone busting your chops, but everyone typically means well and is here to help fellow owners like yourself.

Enjoy your STS and drive the snot out of it! She'll love you for it! :thumbsup:

Reactions: RazorBacker1

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS4 V6
99 Posts
I agree with the OP.
I, too, agree with curtc about the smart ass remarks :yup:
I have been with other different forums, and this one, by far, provides the best technical details and great guidance from the members.
The most I did with my previous vehicles was change air filter, modify stereo system, apply sound deadener on all doors..no engine work.

With this forum's guidance, I have so far done the following: (bought my 2006 STS V6 at ~112k miles)
Replaced Purge Valve/Solenoid (dealer quote ~$180)
Replaced Air Inlet Tuning Valve (dealer quote $502)
Fixed "Farting" Air conditioner
Fixed "wiggly". "squeaky" driver seat
Replaced Driver seat control bezel
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Cabin Air Filter
Replaced Spark Plug (dealer quote ~$300+)
Cleaned Intake Plenum - Replaced gasket
Cleaned Throttle Body - Replaced gasket
Oil/Filter change (dealer quote $89++)

My To Do list include:
Replace Motor mounts
Replace Rear Differential Bushing (dealer quote ~$250-$750 labor)
Replace Engine Valve Cover gasket

·
Registered
2005 sts v8
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I have everything fixed except the shocks and diff bushing. I dont have MRC or anything like that, but was hoping someone could give me an idea of what are some of the better shocks out there BESIDES the factory replacements. This would be for the front and rear and what would a local shop normally charge for an install. I have called a few shops and they are all different.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
For non-electronic dampers, I'd shop KYB for price/performance, and Koni for performance/price.

KYBs are great for the price...Konis are flat-out great, but they're not inexpensive. *I put for Konis on our Freightliner-chassis diesel pusher motorcoach back in 2002...cost me $832, and that was in Oregon, so no tax. *No installation, either, did it myself.

BTW, it was a*very *well-spent $832.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
I've had KYB's on mine for 10k miles and am very happy with them. Compare prices on amazon and rockauto they are usually around $100 a piece.

·
Registered
HAD a miserable Catera and even worse 2003 STS
603 Posts
moosehead1 said:
I picked up a 2005 STS V8 with 100,000 miles and the interior and exterior is in absolutely great shape. It actually runs great..I have run into these small issues: Shifter has 2 inches of play in it when in gear. The passenger front door wont open from the outside. The trunk is hard to close. I apparently have the differential bushing blues. The A/C clicks and clacks at random time while in "AUTO" mode. So far the trunk, door and shifter have been fixed. I still have the A/C acts and the differential bushing to replace. After these get taken care of I will be looking at the suspension. The car feels a little "dead" when it hits bumps and such. I couldnt have fixed the things that needed to be fixed thus far without this forum and the contributions of the members, so big thanks....
For being in "great shape" it sure does sound like there's a lot wrong with it. LOL

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,384 Posts
Haha my sts was also in great shape when i bought it but I changed these interior parts because of cracks or broken clips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts