Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the problem. A blown fuse for #2 bank of injectors. Since I have just bought the car from my uncle, and he said it was fine:thepan: , I now have to replace all eight injectors. #5 is still dead, and the other four that were working, have been a little over worked, so I might as well replace all eight.:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't know the problem or the car, but I would second-guess that the other four were overworked.

On GM setups that I've worked on with a separate fuse for both banks, blowing bank 2 fuse would not do anything adversly to bank one injectors. On earlier GMs, they just had one O2 sensor and that read bank one. So even if you had no fuel on bank 2, your O2 sensor wouldn't see this and wouldn't try to widen the pulsewidth at all. Ask me how I know :) The duty cycle of the injectors that were still firing would remain the same.

Injector fuses will blow if the circuit sees 0 resistance, and this can happen do to a single shorted injector or a bad injector harness. Unfortunately on my early GM ECM (circa 85), the fuse blew only after the driver in the ECM got too hot so I also needed a new ECM.

If you find the flow of your injectors (do a google search with your part #) you may find out that Ford Motorsport Injectors are a really close match. FMS injectors are a really inexpennsive alternative and even though the design is a bit different, mocking one up will usually tell you if it will work or not. When looking at mass flow rate between a GM injector, note that one manufacturer rates their flow at 38.5psi and the other rates their flow at 42psi, so keep that in mind. A set of FMS injectors would be nearly half of a set of GM replacements.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
85Y