Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all in Cadillac land. I have a fun project I am embarking on that has been a long term plan of mine. I just picked up a 91 Brougham 113k decent interior very clean underneath starting to peel vinyl and mediocre paint, a Florida car. Simultaneously I have a very low mileage but badly rotted 1995 9C1 Caprice. Knowing these cars are extremely similar underneath here's my plan, a 9C1 Brougham or a Brougham SS if you like.

Perhaps the ultimate sleeper and a highly capable and comfortable road car. F41 suspension with bilstein's, heavy sway bars and the disc brake rear swapped in. 9c1 spindles and control arms with 12" rotors in front. A slightly modified LT1 5.7 v8 approximately 350 hp just to add a little spice. Swapping out the 700r4 for the 4l60e with ecm, tcm and full harness from the Caprice.
This should be a fairly straightforward endeavor provided all the fasteners come apart. Would anyone know if the double hump crossmember from this B Body is going to work on this big C Body? All comments are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since you're asking specific questions about a specific car, let's move this to that page and you'll get more help that way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Interesting.
The LT1 is not the go to for performance anymore, but you already have it.

The crossmember from 95 is different from your typical GM RWD car.
Forgot why. Maybe it had brackets the connected the top & bottom of the C channel to the crossmember.
With a saw, welder, & drill you could come up with something.

Can't say for sure about the driveshaft, but would guess the Brougham one would work.

The upper control arm bushings are a high wear item.
Many cars are blown out.

The 9C1 steering box is much better but may require the pitman arm & steering linkage off the Brougham.

Not sure on the brake rotor size difference, but the 9C1 caliper may bolt on to your existing spindle.
Chevy had a recal about the 9C1 brakes overheating.
The solution was a much smaller dust shield.

There is a lot written about making an ajustment to the porportioning of the rear brakes to correct the factory.

Something elce to look into is what your local emision test laws are.

Don't know if you will have trouble making the Brougham dash work.

Everyone has their own definition of sleeper.
What your talking about isn't too far off from a 95 Fleetwood.
Wouldn't exactly call that a sleeper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the Caprice PPV's get into the under $5k price range I'll be able to get my hands on LS packages and have body parts to sell to make up some cost, until then these LT1's are fairly stout with fully forged internals and can make some serious power with the right combination of parts and tuning. I've seen stock bottom end LT1's put out over 600 rwhp.

The 95 crossmember mounts in the typical place on the passenger side and more forward than typical on the driver side. Not sure of frame width but I'm thinking nothing more than drilling holes.

The brougham driveshaft should be an exact fit as the 2 transmissions are essentially the same the only difference is electronically controlled shifting on the 4L60e.

The control arms will be fully rebuilt before installation.

The 12:1 constant ratio box is a definite ingredient to eliminate the effortless pinky only steering feel. I believe the steering geometry is the same across the big car lines from 77-96 but I'll do more research on that.

The 9c1 rotor is an inch larger in diameter requiring the spindle change for caliper location. If there was a recall it was addressed two and a half decades before I took possession of the Caprice as it was in municipal service at that time. The Caprice master cylinder, booster, and antilock pump are all changing over to the brougham.

In NYS there are no emission requirements for anything OBD I, 95's and older require only a safety inspection. All 96 and newer OBD II equipped vehicles must comply with their original emissions regulations.

I'm thinking of swapping in the 9C1 cluster with its complement of analog gauges and certified speedometer. It should fit with a little nip here and tuck there eliminating the warning lights which are already in the broughams dash above the cluster.

I'm talking about 100 hp and about 120 lb ft tq more than what a 94-96 Fleetwood is factory rated at which will certainly surprise the unsuspecting, especially when they see that 5.slow badge on the trunk. No not a super car by any means but plenty capable of keeping up with all but the highest end current production luxury cars.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
Good to see fresh blood on the forum! Interesting build you're putting together. As mentioned, most guys who know their 'giant lumbering dino Cadys' are aware the tri-9 came with 'the vette motor'. Your older boxy will sneak under many's radar - until it's too late for them to recover. I really grok your attention to all things susp. and brakes. That's where upfits really return the most impressive results IMHO & AFAIC.

And thanks, your post reminded me of something long ago. '82 Park Avenue Electra, white / white vinyl, (yes red velour) slightly oversize wheels/rubber, Herb Adams bar, Konis, 455 Olds built to 390 spec, 2:42, and of course chrome window visors and wire caps. Never ran radar detectors, but never got a speeding ticket in 11 years with that driver.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For whatever reason the steering geometry is different at least between the "B" & "C" in the last RWD gen.
The Cadillac has the linkage more forward slightly. Put a SS pitman on a Fleetwood & it reduces the max amount you can turn & looks too close for comfort as far as interference / binding.

The front brake dust shield is just something to look for. I think the 1st solution was to cut them down. Then replacements came out. The difference is like going from a pair of shorts to a bikini in size. Almost wonder why they even bothered with the shield at that point. Seen plenty of former police in the yards that did not get the campaign. Was it canceled, only a certain year, or just not addressed IDK. Just somethig to do for an improvement.

The V08 cooling mechanical fan is better for cooling & more reliable IMO than 2 electric but also a bit of HP drain.

Remember the 95 crossmember being a PITA to remove.

95 engine rods ar not forged but said to be a cheaper & better powdered metal good for 450hp.

The LT1 had part # 14088526 cast iron cranks.
GM parts LT1 crank

The 9C1 engine was nothing special. 270HP.
Could get some improvements with tuning & exhaust.
But most get into doing something with the heads, cam, & rocker arms to make larger improvements.

I always thought the last RWD Caprice police intercepters handled like crap driving them when they were new.
The earlier boxy generation from the 80's were actually better.
They road like a ocean liner.
Makes sence. The cars drive over curbs, dirt roads, fields, & other rough terrain constantly.
Keeps the car from beating itself apart with the softer suspension.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Perhaps it would be simpler to look at swap bodies.
Could you put the Brougham body on the Caprice chassis?
Even you you needed to stretch the frame it might be easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's nice to be referred to as fresh blood when I'm going to be 60 this year. I'm going to carry that with me through all the test fittings and bloody knuckles yet to come this year, thank you.

I've upgraded suspensions brakes and power output on most everything I've owned that would accept it and provide a return. I am entering my 44th year of vehicle upgrading and although I have slowed down some I not done yet there will be more after this one is finished I'm sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I have to swap a pitman arm nbd won't be the first time. Once both steering boxes are on the bench side by side that will be the decision maker.
I guess maybe it was an LT4 that was making that big power but I do remember the caveat was that it happened to be a stock bottom end.
The 9c1 fans are higher wattage motors than the regular production units and I've never seen one of my LT1's run hot with them.
Not immediately but a set of heads cam ect are in the works for this build I just have to sell off the Caprice parts to help finance the endeavor.
I always liked the 94-96 9c1 ride and handling. It was a factory version of what I had put into most of the cars I owned. Never liked a mushy ride never felt like you were in full control while cornering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LV the Caprice is on a 115.6 wheelbase and the brougham is on a 121. One of the main reasons the Caprice is being parted is rot underneath. My welding skills aren't up to the challenge but neither is the condition of the 9c1's frame. A shame too this was a fire chiefs car so it's heavily optioned as far as a 9c1 goes. Power seat, upgraded factory sound system, cruise control are the first few things that come to mind that no other 9c1 I've owned has had. Would have been a fun ride if it wasn't dangerously rotted underneath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The realization just came to me that if I'm using the 9c1 spindles then I should use the 9c1 pitman arm as well as a 9C1 idler arm to maintain steering linkage parallel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On the LT1 Fleetwoods (maybe Roadmasters too) there was 3 cooling fan options:
Standard 150w / 100w duel electric fan
Extra capacity V03 150w /240w duel electric fan
Heavy duty V08 mechanical fan / 240w electric fan

The Caprices had 2 cooling fan options:
Standard 150w / 100w duel electric fan
Heavy duty V08 mechanical fan / electric fan

More power requires more cooling.

The ilder arms shuld be the same.
Upper & lower control arms should be the same.

Where you may run into problems is the mounting locations for the idler arm & steering box different distance from the centerline of the spindle. All you can do is try and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 9c1 package always came with the V03 150/240 unless it had a tow package then it had the mechanical electrical setup. This one has the V03 as you see on the RPO sticker.
20200201_173052.jpg

Yes the steering may be a crapshoot. I'll take some measurements next time I have one or the other on the lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks I guess. Let me assure you that when you reach this point in your life it's not going to feel like you're "that" old. Don't blink twice though time passes that fast. I hope you get to keep playing when you're here too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts