Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS Coupe Luxury Edition Velocity Red
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlit roadway, center island being used to store vehicles for daytime construction. I'm doing 60 MPH. An unlit car swings off the center island directly in front of me.and comes to a stop. Cars in adjacent lane, so nowhere to go. As I stand on the brake peddle and the anti-lock kicks in my mind is telling me I'm going to rear end the jerk. I stopped maybe a foot off his rear bumper. He was totally unaware of me until I hit the brights, which woke him up. As he putters away, I think about the incredible stopping power of my Coupe. Now I'm still a sitting duck behind this moron, who's doing about 30 MPH. I was finally able to pass him on the right, and last I looked he was still pu-putting in the left lane with no lights. The braking power and the calibration of the anti-lock system were amazing. Great job by GM and Brembo.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,641 Posts
And great reaction by you Melze! Fortunately your awareness offset the stupidity of the jerk.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
281 Posts
Yes, Brembos and how they work on our ATS's are fantastic! Your reaction time was also to your advantage. More drivers should be aware like you were.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
580 Posts
I like how cheap the calipers are to buy haha. I don't know how it's possible but hey. Glad nothing [more] dangerous happened.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux AWD Black Raven
49 Posts
As I became aware of how well these brakes worked I realized I had to leave more space between my ATS and the car in front of me, particularly when the car behind me was too close. I knew I could stop in a hurry if I had to but there was no way the guy behind me could. More than once I have stopped with space to spare but the car behind me had to veer onto the shoulder to avoid rear ending me.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,641 Posts
Several years ago I was coming back to IL and just leaving the Indianapolis metro area going into a single lane construction zone on I74 westbound. There was heavy late afternoon weekend traffic and an idiot in a motorhome was traveling way too close and I knew with merge lanes coming up it was likely that both the merging and through lane vehicles would slow dramatically or stop as frequently happens in these single lane construction zones coupled with a short on ramp. The left lane was closed off with marker poles but the pavement was still intact and when traffic suddenly came to an abrupt halt the ATS was nimble enough with a quick tap of the brakes and major steering input to slide between two poles and then I accelerated to clear the area as the motor home towing a car crashed into the line of stopped vehicles creating a major mess. I pulled back into line ahead of the carnage without incident. I am glad I wasn't driving my pickup that day because it would have been very difficult to make that emergency lane change between markers that the ATS so easily managed.

Daughter Anna was 11 at the time and was also paying close attention. We had been in the Smoky mountains hiking but also visited GM's BGAP to watch the Corvette production process and stopped at an antique mall in Bowling Green while killing time and Anna bought an old copy of Life magazine from the Kennedy assassination time. She wasn't too shaken up by the near accident because she immediately said that she saw her life flash by because her new old magazine flew past her during my rapid maneuvering. Paying attention and having an agile vehicle is a great safety combination and a lesson I expect that she will remember as she drives.

Rodger

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
434 Posts
While trying to find track day pads I did a deep dive into Brembo land and discovered our calipers are likely cheap because they are actually an old design... I need to see if I saved the links but the original system was spec'd/used as the REAR package for the first Gen vantage or vanquish many moons ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts