Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t hooked a gauge to the trans yet but it is my next step. I just changed the filter and fluid but the Eldorado doesn’t change in RPM or move unless you shift it into Drive Right. What could be possible causes? I have the shop manual but it’s poor in diagnosing this.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
I'm not understanding what you mean by "Drive Left" or "Drive Right".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not understanding what you mean by "Drive Left" or "Drive Right".
The Eldorado (1973) can select two modes of drive. There’s a left mark on the selector which allows all three gears to be utilized. Shift it once more to the right mark in Drive and you get gears 1-2 for towing or performance in traffic.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Damn, I had a '73 Eldorado and do not remember that for the life of me.

I assume you are sure that the filter is in and snugly in place and that it has the correct amount of trans fluid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, I had a '73 Eldorado and do not remember that for the life of me.

I assume you are sure that the filter is in and snugly in place and that it has the correct amount of trans fluid?

This is from the owners manual. Yes I made sure everything fit back properly. No foreign material either. I’ll come back with a pressure reading but currently just trying to score some ideas. Would suck having to take this trans out.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
764 Posts
I'm not getting it but it sounds like drive right is 2nd gear? If that's so then the trans isn't going into 3rd gear? First thing I check is the fluid, the vacuum line for full vacuum and then the passing gear mechanism.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not getting it but it sounds like drive right is 2nd gear? If that's so then the trans isn't going into 3rd gear? First thing I check is the fluid, the vacuum line for full vacuum and then the passing gear mechanism.
Drive Right allows you gears 1 and 2 for the most torque/horsepower. Drive Left gives full access to gears 1,2, and 3 which is basically normal driving mode. The fluid I just put in and a new filter which unfortunately didn’t fix it. I’ll look at the vacuum line, but is that the one going into the top of the bell housing? And how should I inspect the passing mechanism? Pan off only or more disassembly?

Kristof

1 - 7 of 7 Posts