Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago when I picked up my ATS Coupe I had the iPhone 4 and was able to hear text coming in through the CUE system. Last night I dropped and cracked that iPhone and just purchased the new iPhone 6. Now I can't seem to get that automatic text feature to work where it picks up the incoming text and was hoping with the new iPhone I'd be able to reply. I do have the feature turned on in CUE but can't seem to get the darn thing to work. anyone have any suggestions please ??

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,703 Posts
Moved to CUE forum

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DG2 said:
A few weeks ago when I picked up my ATS Coupe I had the iPhone 4 and was able to hear text coming in through the CUE system. Last night I dropped and cracked that iPhone and just purchased the new iPhone 6. Now I can't seem to get that automatic text feature to work where it picks up the incoming text and was hoping with the new iPhone I'd be able to reply. I do have the feature turned on in CUE but can't seem to get the darn thing to work. anyone have any suggestions please ??
Just called the dealer and figured it out ,easy stuff and it's all about the Bluetooth setting on your phone. On the iPhone in the Bluetooth setting menu there's is a little "I"with the circle . Click on that "I" and you have to enable " Show Notifications ". Easy as that.

I think this is a great safety feature and convenience as I get a gazillion texts every day.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Yep, having texts announced and read to you and dictating responses 100% hands free is one of the best features of CUE since it came out in 2012.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
Doesn't do much for owners of pre 2015 vehicles.
What do you mean? I get my texts announced and read to me thru CUE and I can dictate a text back. All of that is 100% hands-free from the day I bought my new 2013MY ATS. And from my experience with other cars, I suspect that's true even for non-CUE base cars.

The only thing not hands-free is I have to touch the voice command button on the steering wheel to initiate a new text. Then I just say "Call Cortana" and when she answers I say "text xxxxx". From there its the same as dictating a response to an incoming text.

It is impossible to make receiving and answering texts any easier. And it couldn't get much easier to initiate a new text.

People shouldn't blame their car for their low-IQ phones. Car's don't need to do anything to have hands-free voice texting other than simply having blue-tooth.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
What you described is not a feature of CUE but a feature of Windows Phone... 2015+ CUE has a SMS text app on the CUE home screen that will read text and you can respond with prerecorded responses.. So yes, CUE is one step behind Windows Phone.

What do you mean? I get my texts announced and read to me thru CUE and I can dictate a text back. All of that is 100% hands-free from the day I bought my new 2013MY ATS. And from my experience with other cars, I suspect that's true even for non-CUE base cars.

The only thing not hands-free is I have to touch the voice command button on the steering wheel to initiate a new text. Then I just say "Call Cortana" and when she answers I say "text xxxxx". From there its the same as dictating a response to an incoming text.

It is impossible to make receiving and answering texts any easier. And it couldn't get much easier to initiate a new text.

People shouldn't blame their car for their low-IQ phones. Car's don't need to do anything to have hands-free voice texting other than simply having blue-tooth.
Yep, having texts announced and read to you and dictating responses 100% hands free is one of the best features of CUE since it came out in 2012.

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
What you described is not a feature of CUE but a feature of Windows Phone... 2015+ CUE has a SMS text app on the CUE home screen that will read text and you can respond with prerecorded responses.. So yes, CUE is one step behind Windows Phone.
Not true. Windows phone did nothing special to allow texts to be announced, read and responses dictated in ANY car with blue-tooth, so CUE is NOT behind. Apple and Google took steps to prevent their phones from doing the same and so harmed their customers. Both prevented it to cause ignorant (definition: lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something) customers to complain to car makers and thus pressure said car makers to put software developed by or with those companies into the cars.

Apple and Google fabricated a problem for their ignorant customers, then made money solving it but only after making their customers suffer unnecessarily for years. It is rediculous to blame or expect CUE to protect phone customers from sabotage by the phone makers. In fact it would likely have been futile to attempt it. Those phone makers wanted to prevent any car from doing hands-free texting without their software installed in the car, so anything Cadillac did could be undone with a trivial automated update to the phones.

Fortunately, switching to a better phone is an easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts