Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine if the seat belt system is defective on a 2000 deville. I can yank on the belt and it doesn't lock up. Happens on the driver and passenger belt. Is there some way to test it short of slamming on the brakes in a panic stop.
I am concerned that they won't work in a crash. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,627 Posts
They should lock up and prevent you from leaning forward when making a turn at anything more than a slight crawl.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,024 Posts
The shoulder/lap belt retractor system will permit free movement under almost conditions not involving heavy braking or rapid deceleration. You have to WORK to get the retractor to lock up under normal conditions. Once in a while one of your movements at precisely the correct time/conditions will lock a belt, but those are few and far between: one of the front or side accelerometers will then lock the belts. Get on a straight stretch of road and accelerate to 45 mph when clear. Hit the brakes and try to lean forward.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
My 2000 Seville seat belts also does not lock up when I just pull it hard. I can feel that it locks up when I go on a curve a little bit faster or decelerate harder than normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts