Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used astro roof assembly out of a 99 Deville with 75K from my local salvage yard. According to their computer, it should match my 96 Seville. The only difference that I see immediately is that the glass seal on my Seville contacts the roof sheet metal, but on the Deville, there is an extra trim piece riveted to the astro roof opening that overlaps the roof sheet metal. This is what the glass seal contacts on that application. I have a few questions;

1) Can I just grind off the rivets and remove the trim piece for my application?
2) There are green and blue wires attached to the drive motor, can I just apply 12V to either to bench test?
3) What is the best sealant to use when installing the replacement?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I'm not sure the assembly would fit between a Seville and Deville, if it's not the same part number it probably isn't interchangeable. But the sunroof on that Deville must be aftermarket if it has a rivited on rim around the opening. When an aftermarket sunroof is installed they just cut a hole in the flat sheet metal, that rim is needed to provide a flange for the glass to seal against. With a factory sunroof, that flange is part of the roof panel like on your car.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure the assembly would fit between a Seville and Deville, if it's not the same part number it probably isn't interchangeable. But the sunroof on that Deville must be aftermarket if it has a rivited on rim around the opening.
No, I'm pretty sure it is the original. It has the exact same components as the factory unit in my car. But it is a moot point anyway, now that I have the headliner removed, I realize that they are different configurations. The Seville has the drive motor in the front, the Deville unit has the drive motor in the rear. So back to the hunt for the correct replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts