Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to make the best of a cloudy Saturday afternoon and head down to Ogden Avenue to check out the dealers and seek out my next prospective car. I'm heavily considering switching to the "dark side" and getting a BMW. I've already driven an E46 M3, which was stunning, so I decided to check out the 335i which is said to be as good as, if not better than the M3.

I headed out with the intention of driving both a 2005 SMG M3 and a 2007 335i that I saw on AutoTrader from the same dealer. I got to BMW of Westmont and started to poke around the lot. When I got there a salesman approached me and I asked to see the 2005 M3 they had on the lot. He said "ummmm, we don't have any 2005s on the lot" (doh!). It was then that I realized there were two dealers on Ogden and I was at the wrong one (needed to be at Bill Jacobs BMW) He did say "we do have the new one if you're interested!" I didn't drive it, but did spend 5 minutes drooling over it.

I didn't have much time to drive out to the other dealer 20 minutes away (had to pick my sister up in less than an hour), so I drove down the street to Luxury Motors (aka the Bentley dealer snobs). They sell mostly Bentleys, but have a ton of other nice cars on the lot (about four 911 turbos, a Maserati Spyder, new C63 AMG, E55 AMG, and a V12 Vanquish!.

Luckily, they had one 335i coupe on the lot in my favorite color combo. As soon as I saw it, a salesman came out and greeted me (nice guy named Rami, totally not a jerk). Went into his office first so he could take my information, and he showed me other cars they have on the computer. They have another dealer out by O'Hare where they have a 2008 335i along with a couple of 2004 M3 convertibles. He said Luxury Motors doesn't haggle on prices, offering the lowest they're willing to go right off the bat. They're kinda like Carmax where they price you see is what you pay. He wasn't lying because the exact same car 20 minutes away costs the same with 15k more miles from Bill Jacobs BMW.

Finally, he handed me the keys and I took it for a drive. I only drove it for about 15 minutes since I wasn't intent on buying it right there, and since I had to go get my sister soon. Here's my thoughts and Chad-style review.

Exterior: 9/10
-Some may prefer the more classic styling cues of the E46, but I really think BMW hit a home run with the E92. I'm sure someone made sure Bangle didn't screw this up since the 3-series is BMW's bread and butter. The body lines flow nicely, no ugly wheel gaps, and it has a nice wide-and-low stance. There's a certain presence this car has in black that I really like.

Interior/Features: 8.5/10
-Coming from a garage of pre-'08 Cadillacs and a Ford, setting foot inside this was really eye-opening as to what a nice interior really is. There isn't a cheap material anywhere. The plastics are very nice, there are no noticeable gaps anywhere, and the ergonomics are nearly perfect. My only complaint is the i-drive controller is a little far back. Speaking of i-drive, I didn't see what the big fuss is about it. If you can operate a computer, you can figure out i-drive. The navigation screen is enormous and easy to read (the center hood eliminates glare and isn't intrusive looking out the windshield), I don't have to squint to see the time like in the Escalade. The seats are very comfortable, and the bolsters hold you in place very nicely. I was honestly surprised by how far back the seat can go and how nice of a driving position I can get (comfortable driving positions don't exist on the SLS). At 6'2", I fit in this much much better than in the SLS. There's a neat button that brings a sunshade over the rear window. Push button start/stop is fun. There's an AUX input for your iPod, and a USB port to charge it. When connected, the iPod is fully controllable through the audio system (neato). A motorized arm brings the seat belt right next to you so you don't have to reach back for it. I didn't have the radio on so I can't comment on that.

Ride/Handling/Acceleration: 9.5/10
-Now I really get it. I completely understand what makes people so crazy about the 3-series. I was just floored by how well it handled. There is literally NO play in the steering whatsoever. You think about where you want to point the front end and it's there. I took it down a few nice roads with some s-curves, and was just amazed by how confidently it took them. No body roll at all. It's really addicting, this car just makes you want to spend all day looking for twisty roads. The brakes are just awesome, now I understand the commotion around those as well. A little grabby but soooo responsive.

As for the acceleration, sweet jebus it's fast. BMW quotes the 0-60 at 5.3 seconds, but they're known for posting underrated numbers. This is at least as fast as the E46 M3, if not faster. The thing that really stands about this engine is the torque. It's everywhere. 300lb/ft at 1400 RPM. You just can't beat that, especially in a car this size. The twin-turbo setup eliminates all turbo lag. Just a sudden rush of sweet linear acceleration any time you press your foot down. The exhaust note is nice and throaty, enough to make itself known while not being annoying like a G35. The 6-speed auto w/paddle shifters shifts smooth as butter and always knows what gear to be in. No difference in acceleration between the auto and manual, you get an awesome transmission either way.

Overall, I'm very impressed by the 335i. It completely exceeded my expectations. I didn't think there was any way this could be better than the E46 M3, but it really is (unless track days are your main concern). I'm about 99% set on this car now once my funds are in-order and I figure out what I'm doing with the SLS. Here's some crappy cell phone pics.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I'm the world's biggest E46 proponent and I abhor the M3. It is one of the worst cars to buy as a daily driver I have ever owned, ESPECIALLY with SMG.

The 335i gives you ALL the acceleration PLUS the modern amenities and a car that is perfect for daily driving.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
That twin turbo I-6 is just freaking awesome, I think BMW really underrates it at 300hp. A 4 door, manual trans 335i ran the quarter mile in [email protected], while my 1999 Z28 LS1/auto equipped car ran it in [email protected] Both cars weighed about the same, and I know my Z28 had 40-50 more horsepower(it dynoed at 305rwhp/320rwhtq).

I wish BMW hadn't made the 5 series so weird looking, cause I'd actually like a sedan about that size(and you can get them with the turbo 6/manual trans combo), but the 3 series is such a sweet looking package I think I could deal with the small backseat/trunk.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Gary, I pretty much agree with all of what you have said. When I was car shopping with my aunt we looked at several different BMW's and they were very nice. The only complaint I had was the interior. It was nice, great quality and all, but it just seems bland. To me it just looks like one large slab of dashboard, no dramatic curves or nice hard lines either, just a plain old swoop. They were fast though and I had it up to 70 in a 45 without even knowing it because it was so quiet and the ride and powerband were so smooth.

She wound up buying an '09 A4, which both of us liked better than the BMW.

A4 interior.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
So how's the view from the top? Pretty clear? :p

It's cool how the E90 has those motorized things that serve you the seatbelts. Mercedes has done that since the W126 Coupes, and I got to experience it for the first time in a 1995 S500 Coupe I sat in a few weeks ago. It was eerie. I started up the car, looked over to my left to grab the belt and it was already there, waiting for me. I didn't even hear it move. HAL 9000 anyone?

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Did you meet with the sales managers: Kyle Khalil and Ray Omran?

They are nice guys, I have bought several wholesale cars from them before. As for sales, I usually deal with Rhoy Montes.

I try to stop by there once a week to see what they have in wholesale, nothing good as of late.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
A friend of mines mother has an '08 328i coupe and it's absolutely gorgeous. Blue with saddle brown leather; now I'm not a fan of BMW's; I think they are slightly pretentious and all of the kids at my school who think they are badasses have one. However I love the E92 and E46 3-Series and the '97-'03 5-Series. They are very simple cars with not too many thrills, and they just handle superbly.

I still would not take a 3-Series over my STS just because I love my car so much, but I would definitely consider a '02 or '03 540i with the sport package.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
My Buddy just got one for his DD so he dosen't have to drive the "race car" to work.
Very nice car, put together well. I just think it is ugly. Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder.
I choose not to behold this car.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
An S5 won't keep up with an M3. It's 40hp short.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I've always thought the previous-generation 3-Series was just about perfect in looks, and after the fact, I looked up some used ones and I might have gotten one for roughly the same $$ as my Seville. Expensive maintenance and repair has always kept me away from European cars, even though there are some that I like.

I thought Bangle did less of a hatchet job on the 3-Series than all the other BMWs he ruined; the coupe is definitely better looking than the sedan. And the interior is beautiful with all that wood. It's just too bad the nav system has to stick up on the dash like a blister (a complaint I have with many high-end cars). The one in the CTS is integrated into the dash so much better.

Having spent a weekend last summer detailing and driving a friend's BMW Z-3, I also know and love the BMW straight six. Handling, steering and braking are all superb, and even in a little roadster, the ride is perfectly comfortable. I've ridden in a friend's '01 3-Series, and I was really impressed with how solid it was and how it absorbed crummy pavement.

So, when do you think you might be getting a new car? By August? I can foresee kind of Chinese fire drill at some point with everybody hopping out and taking a turn driving each other's cars. I know I want to try out John's Brougham for sh*ts and giggles. And a V if possible.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I can foresee kind of Chinese fire drill at some point with everybody hopping out and taking a turn driving each other's cars. I know I want to try out John's Brougham for sh*ts and giggles. And a V if possible.
Glad I could start that trend. :cool2: :p

I'll be sure to let you drive my Riviera/GTP/Fleetwood/DeVille/Park Avenue/Regal GS/TSX/C30. :lol:

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you meet with the sales managers: Kyle Khalil and Ray Omran?
Nope, only person I talked to was Rami.

So, when do you think you might be getting a new car? By August? I can foresee kind of Chinese fire drill at some point with everybody hopping out and taking a turn driving each other's cars. I know I want to try out John's Brougham for sh*ts and giggles. And a V if possible.
Should be before August, maybe sometime in June after I start summer vacation. I need to decide if I'm going to pass on my SLS to my sister who turns 16 next year (parents might not let her drive until 18), or try and sell it privately for around $7k. There's no way I'm trading it in for next to nothing.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I challenge you all to a burnout contest. My car will smoke you, literally. :D

Chinese fire drill it shall be. I get to drive my car everyday and soon it will be hard for you to drive one like it as they are all being sent to the scrap yards. One of you could take my Fleetwood for the day for all I care, but it has no A/C and the seats make you VERY hot.

Jesda said:
A4 is wrong wheel drive.
A4 is AWD, which trumps RWD for a daily driver in Chicago. That stupid little 2L turbo charged engine actually moves pretty well though.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
^ Yeah, but if you had AWD you'd never get stuck in the mud anymore. :histeric:

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
LOL!!!

Though... AWD and all-season tires wouldn't get an A4 out of the unusually deep quicksand I find myself stuck in. :( A Bronco might work.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts

I got my Astro AWD stuck in 6 inches of snow, so there goes that theory. :p J/K

1 - 20 of 177 Posts