Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a used [ approx. 8,500 miles ] CTS-v with 6L90 automatic trans on Saturday morning. A relatively short drive – only 3 or 4 miles. Impressions below, but first a couple of questions:

1 – My shoe hung up between the trans tunnel and the brake pedal each time I made the transition between brake and accelerator. My shoes [ 13W ] are 4.5” wide. I have not had anything like this happen for many, many years.

Anyone else encounter this sort of issue? Did the substitution of the V8 & 6L90 trans require widening the trans tunnel?

2 – I am familiar with the 6Lxx series trans, having had a 6L80 in a 2007 Corvette & a 6L80 in a Pontiac G8 GT. My experience has been that [ when working as designed ] this is a paragon of smooth, crisp shifting – up and down. The 6L90 trans in this CTS-v worked well approx. 75% of my shifts. I drove 90% of the test in Sport “M”, as I typically drive. Most shifts were fine – but a few were rather jerky, with no pattern I could discern.

Anyone else have issues with [ occasional ? ] problematic shifting in the 6L90? I did a search, but saw nothing.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Impressions – certainly nothing really new, for those who have driven one:

Though the drive was brief & included no speeds above 60 \ 65 MPH or so [ no highway – just gathering initial impressions here ] I was quite impressed with the acceleration & ride. The Eaton supercharger’s whine is reasonably well muted.

As many have said: The wealth of TQ at any RPM provides very satisfying acceleration in any gear at any speed – with a feeling of effortlessness.

The ride was quite pleasant, given the capabilities of the car & the tires – and the approx. 4,300 pounds of weight being controlled. Kudos to mag-ride.

I did not stress the car in braking or handling, but it felt quite competent & reassuring in normal driving.

I believe the 0-60 & quarter mile times I have seen reported. The acceleration in the 5 – 60 \ 65 MPH range, using moderate RPM but wide throttle openings was exhilarating fun.

I do hope this car survives.

Just my 0.02 gallons worth . . .
- Ray

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto
221 Posts
I had (have) the same problem with the Transmission tunnel to brake pedal spacing. I wear size 16M shoes so I am used to occasional problems with foot room. I drove a DeTomaso Pantera once and I could hit all three pedals with one foot at the same time (without turning my foot). That didn't work out so well.

I adapted to the pedal spacing on my CTS-V (auto) by resting my right foot against the transmission tunnel. There is about a half inch of give in the tunnel padding. There is a rubber pad built into the carpet on the side of the tunnel for that purpose.

I haven't had a problem since I adjusted my driving style. For track days, I will use some thinner shoes just in case.

BTW, The Automatic with a sunroof weighs 4170 pounds empty (I weighed mine).

·
Registered
None
1,151 Posts
I just started a thread called Cramped Right Foot yesterday regarding the shoe hitting the brake as well. As Low ET noticed, there is a gap between the carpet next to the accelerator and the transmission hump. Mine is at least an inch. I'm currently trying to devise the best way to keep the carpeting pressed up against the hump. In addition to hitting the brake on occasion, my foot feels...claustrophobic, for lack of a better word.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted if I can figure out a decent fix.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts