Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 05 Deville's ride but I was curious to see how these newer cars ride so I test drove the 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD Hemi, 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD and 2015 Cadillac XTS AWD. Afterwards I decided I'm going to try to keep my Deville going for as long as possible. The 300C had the best ride of the three. It was firmer than my Deville but it absorbed bumps quite well. I loved the power of the hemi and often found myself going much faster than intended. The Genesis rode more firmly than the Chrysler and I felt impacts more but it was tolerable. The 3.8 was smooth and responsive with a nice little growl. I really wanted to like the XTS but I was disappointed. The ride was the worst of the bunch, jittery even on relatively smooth roads and large impacts were felt and heard more than in the Hyundai and Chrysler. The Cadillac's engine sounded and felt more coarse than the others. Driving these cars made me love my Deville even more.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,253 Posts
I love my 05 Deville's ride but I was curious to see how these newer cars ride so I test drove the 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD Hemi, 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD and 2015 Cadillac XTS AWD. Afterwards I decided I'm going to try to keep my Deville going for as long as possible. The 300C had the best ride of the three. It was firmer than my Deville but it absorbed bumps quite well. I loved the power of the hemi and often found myself going much faster than intended. The Genesis rode more firmly than the Chrysler and I felt impacts more but it was tolerable. The 3.8 was smooth and responsive with a nice little growl. I really wanted to like the XTS but I was disappointed. The ride was the worst of the bunch, jittery even on relatively smooth roads and large impacts were felt and heard more than in the Hyundai and Chrysler. The Cadillac's engine sounded and felt more coarse than the others. Driving these cars made me love my Deville even more.
=========================
Driving these cars made me love my Deville even more
I have often said - and still believe -
the 2000 through 2005 Deville is the last REAL Cadillac -

·
Registered
2005 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
=========================
Driving these cars made me love my Deville even more
I have often said - and still believe -
the 2000 through 2005 Deville is the last REAL Cadillac -
I agree with you about the 00-05 Deville. The 06+ DTS has a firmer ride which I don't like and the "Art and Science" styling just doesn't have the same presence. The interior of the 06+ isn't as nice IMHO. They don't have the beautiful sculpted inside door handle, the finishing on the door panels isn't as nice, the window and power lock switches look cheaper, and the leather isn't as nice. The center stack may look "prettier" but it's functionality is no better. If I could find a well kept 04-05 DHS I would grab it because these really are the end of the Cadillac tradition.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
1994/1995 then 2005
Last of the Cadillac heritage
I just cannot warm up to the new arts and crafts stuff.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test drove a 2011 Audi A6 3.0T with 40,000 miles. Compared to the new XTS the used Audi had a more compliant ride, absorbed bumps much better yet it was more controlled with fewer up and down body motions. The 3.0T is much more refined and smoother than the Cadillac 3.6 engine. The interior materials and finishing in the Audi are a step above Cadillac's although I'm not a fan of German car's austere interior design language. Back seat legroom is less in the Audi with more difficult ingress/egress. One thing I didn't like about the A6 was the very light steering. The roads were covered with hard packed snow and ice so I couldn't evaluate acceleration of handling. If I had to choose between the XTS and A6 I would pick the Audi even though it costs a bit more. ( or buy a lightly used one). To me the Hyundai Genesis is a better value than the A6. It costs quite a bit less and the ride and comfort are comparable. I prefer the ride of the Chrysler 300 over the Genesis and A6 and of course nothing rides as nicely as my Deville. I think I'll go test drive a Mercedes S550 just for fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts