Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of buying another caddie due to my 97 STS being totaled. I found a 2000 STS with 91k for 6900. I must admit the car is impressive with only 2 minor issues the trunk latch doesnt work from inside the car or on the key pad and the passsenger rear window can only be let down from the drivers seat. Now the only thing that worries me is that i could smell burnt oil when i returned the car to the lot. I was gone for about 30 minutes and i drove the hell out of it up and down the interstate WOT's and all. after doing that 3-4 times i then sat in bumper to bumper traffic with the AC on watching the temperature gauge everything seemed good. once i got about a mile away from the car lot on the way back i started to smell the oil. not strong or smoking kinda like the smell u get if u spill some while the engine is hot. i checked the spot where the car was parked when i returnd it and didn see any oil on the ground and i looked up under it again before i left the lot nothing and i looked all over the engine and i didn smell anything upon returning the car. I'm the first to admiti never drove my 97 the way i drove that car today and i dont thing anybody would do that to a caddie but i replaced the gaskets on my 97 and i never want to go through that again. Was the smell due to how i drove the car in that short amount of time or should i not even thing about getting it and keep looking. i also understand that the 2000 model was the year they made changes to the heads. i like this car but dont want to buy a lemon. i pick my insurance check up 2morrow and the car is on hold for me untll 2pm

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I don't know what to say about the oil. If the concrete under the car is still dry today, and there's no oil residue on the oil pan, there's most likely no leak. It could be that it wasn't driven hard in a long time, and you just blew some stuff out. Yes, 2000 was when the engine was slightly redesigned, including a different cylinder head design and different head bolt pitch in the block. While there have been SOME reports of 2000+ head gasket problems, they seem to be relatively few and far between.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,064 Posts
:thumbsup: I'll bet that, since the car had not been driven too hard prior to your test drive, the exhaust heat burned off the usual dust/oil/crud accumulation on the headers and crossover, as well as heating up the pipe and cat shields. No oil on the engine or ground is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts