Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I’m new here and looking to see if anyone else has done the Tesla style radio in their Escalade 07-14? I have a 2010 and did it in mine. I have some doubts but maybe if I can hve my questions answered I can make it all work properly. I did the install and it mostly all works. My Apple car play I’m still working on, and the rear screens. Does anyone have any advice on DVD players for this head unit and where to put the DVD player? TIA

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,854 Posts
Any pics of your setup, as far as dvd players I don’t really use them anymore, I convert the dvd to mp4 and put it onto a thumb drive and I use a micca speck media player, the player is much smaller and no more scratched dvd’s from the kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really would like to try one but the one for the Escalade hasn't really seen much development like the Tahoe/Yukon versions which have 8g RAM versions. They have not addressed RSE compatibility either.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
322 Posts
The DVD leaves alot to be desired, I have it and honestly do not use it. It seems as if the Tesla was built around having a HDD(thumbstick or SSD, old school mechanical didn't work). It has two usb ports and can handle dual thumbsticks. I put 1 256gb thumbstick and if it ever fills up I will remove my DVD player and add a 512gb. The thumbstick Im using is a no frills 2.0 so you don't have to break the bank. Spend a weekend and convert those DVDs to MP4 or MKV using Handbrake (+ another prog for certain DVDs, topic cant be discussed in forum) and use EAC or dbPowerAmp to rip your CD to flac or 320. EAC is free,slower, DB is $38/fast but has a free 21 day trial.

The video out on mine works fine but at the time of purchasing was only on certain Android versions [7.0] that pumped video out. Before buying mention this to seller so they will sell you the correct one. Heads up, on my 7.0 only the native video player pumps video out correctly to the RSE. Netflix, YouTube didnt work.

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
146 Posts
My unit is slowly falling apart and I'm sending it for repairs. I lost power and connection on USB, rear camera gives no signal (sometimes bad picture) and FM doesn't find any stations. And now the screen goes blank after a little longer drive :D Thinking about going for 8.1 unit without video out at somepoint and getting standalone android flipdown...

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
322 Posts
Im glad Im not having any of those issues, my only issue to date was during experimenting I put the Fastboot to 24hrs. It was fine for months on end and one day the unit was unresponsive on the top banner as if something didnt load correctly out of 'sleep' mode. I pulled fuse, which rebooted unit...things were great until 1 month later. Same issue, I pulled fuse and set the Fastboot back to 8hrs that way when Truck sits overnight/work shift it does a reboot no matter what.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV White Diamond, 2003 Corvette Convertible
25 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this upgrade too. Was it pretty easy? It looks to be close to plug and play. Do you guys wish you did a "regular" head-unit from Crutchfield? Basically, would you do it again, or is it too much of a hassle? I'm thinking of ordering this one (below). Is this what you ordered?

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
146 Posts
That wasn't available when I ordered. I have the android 7 version (these things do not get updates :)) which has video out (which is kinda useless for me). Wouldn't go with regular 2din unit, thinking about buying a new one (will send the old for repairs so I have a spare). I mostly use waze and spotify.
It's a totally plug and play system. Chinese quality so about 90% complete, just misses like the extra mile of development which would have made it perfect but there are no other options so... Mostly the problem is only stereo output and no control of the amp so you can change amp volume on the steering wheel and head unit volume from the touchscreen (which sucks).

·
Registered
Cadillac
925 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this upgrade too. Was it pretty easy? It looks to be close to plug and play. Do you guys wish you did a "regular" head-unit from Crutchfield? Basically, would you do it again, or is it too much of a hassle? I'm thinking of ordering this one (below). Is this what you ordered?

"More faster" -- yes, their promotional literature actually says this!

They say it integrates with steering wheel controls... wonder how easily? The Kenwoods and Alpines of the world typically need a separate interface box to pick up the steering buttons.

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
146 Posts
Newer android version has px6 instead of px3 so it should be way faster and more responsive. There is support for SWC (head unit attaches directly to escalade plugs/sockets), it's just not perfect :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
163 Posts
So who has put it these in and what is the pro’s and cons? I love the new cars with CarPlay in them!!! Would love to be able to stream my phone or iPad to this screen. We have rear entertainment for the kids possibly would want to keep that. Steering controls would be very nice. Those more than rear entertainment. Kids watch their iPads and phones the most!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So who has put it these in and what is the pro’s and cons? I love the new cars with CarPlay in them!!! Would love to be able to stream my phone or iPad to this screen. We have rear entertainment for the kids possibly would want to keep that. Steering controls would be very nice. Those more than rear entertainment. Kids watch their iPads and phones the most!
I just ordered the fast boot best one that I could find. . . Should be in soon and I will report with pics and info.

·
Registered
Cadillac
163 Posts
I was looking at the 4g+32gb video out android 9 unit. Excited to see how you like it and how long it takes to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
146 Posts
Ok, installed it last night. Compared to old px3 with android 7.1, it's FAST.

Still thinking about using RCA outputs and maybe adding minidsp's c-dsp to it. Now it outputs only 2 channel stereo (with amp putting it to all speakers) so I could output 4 channels to c-dsp to gain fader support. C-dsp could create sub channel and maybe the center channel and allow better eq. What harness is there from RCA to Car part?

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
146 Posts
Yeah, haven't tested it though, not sure if my flip down monitor is even working. It also might be a shitty kind mirror so not really useful, just planning to install ipad holders for kids so I can listen to music while they watch youtube :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rhinoradios.com has the 4gb 64gb px6 android 9 version available if anyone is interested for a newer version for the Escalade.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts