Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new head unit to replace the CUE:

New video on the way to review the system, once I get to play around with it for a bit.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6M Premium
73 Posts
This is sick. I'm really glad someone designed this. Great video ExploreJH Aftermarket Headlights, aftermarket rear end and I'll keep this car forever.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Premium Luxury
98 Posts
I love the look of this unit, but I’m really curious how much functionality is lost, i.e. the ability to make changes to various vehicle settings currently accessible via CUE. Also how well the voice recognition works...

If it supported wireless CarPlay, it’d be an easy sell for a lot of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V MT6 Sedan, Alfas: '67 Duetto, '84 GTV6 3.5L 24v/Vette C5 project
548 Posts
Assume this would be a 'fail' for ATS-V with the PDR option (Performance Data Recorder).... but might work for other ATS-Vs not so equipped.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
863 Posts
I love the look of this unit, but I’m really curious how much functionality is lost, i.e. the ability to make changes to various vehicle settings currently accessible via CUE. Also how well the voice recognition works...

If it supported wireless CarPlay, it’d be an easy sell for a lot of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He commented in the YouTube video that, as of yet, he has not found CUE settings, but any setting he had set stayed set. I think the problem would come if you ever disconnect the battery. There are a handful of settings that reset after battery loss, like max startup volume (which might actually be handled by the new unit, now that I think about it) and passive door locking, I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Older post I know, but question about video playback. Is it unlocked when driving or does it go to black screen like the original CUE system? I don't have the headrest TV's, but would like for the kids in the back to be able to watch something if needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
...New video on the way to review the system, once I get to play around with it for a bit.
Hey Explorejh, great post.

Some follow up questions...

Did you post another video someplace after you used it for a while?

Does the unit provide access to all of the Vehicle Personalization Settings (behind the "settings" icon on the original CUE), such as Remote Start Heated/Cooled Seat Behavior, Door Lock Behavior, etc. ?

What do you think about it now that you've had it for a while?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Explorejh, great post.

Some follow up questions...

Did you post another video someplace after you used it for a while?

Does the unit provide access to all of the Vehicle Personalization Settings (behind the "settings" icon on the original CUE), such as Remote Start Heated/Cooled Seat Behavior, Door Lock Behavior, etc. ?

What do you think about it now that you've had it for a while?
I can't speak for the original poster, as I bought mine from Phoenix automotive, but the one I have does provide access to all the original CUE settings. I've read some others do not, so was really happy to have that in my unit. Had mine for about two months now, and the only gripe I have is watching Netflix or Hulu, very randomly it will flash 'next track' and skip about 20 seconds forward. Only happened about 3 or 4 times now. Overall, I love this stereo and it looks great installed. Mine also didn't come with a new backup camera, but the stock one works well for the couple seconds I use it, lol.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
... I bought mine from Phoenix automotive, but the one I have does provide access to all the original CUE settings...
... Mine also didn't come with a new backup camera, but the stock one works well...
... Hope that helps!
Hey Rgruber69... yes... thanks! Since I'm also looking at the Phoenix Automotive versions, that helps a lot on both counts above!!!

I see that Phoenix Automotive currently offers three versions (click here to see ATS Versions):
  1. $730: Px6 Six Core Android 9 (w/4g RAM, 64g ROM)
  2. $608: Quad Core Android 7.1 (w/2g RAM, 32g ROM)
  3. $688: Px6 Six Core Android 9 (w/4g RAM, 32g ROM)
Would you mind sharing which version you purchased, including the Android Version?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Rgruber69... yes... thanks! Since I'm also looking at the Phoenix Automotive versions, that helps a lot on both counts above!!!

I see that Phoenix Automotive currently offers three versions (click here to see ATS Versions):
  1. $730: Px6 Six Core Android 9 (w/4g RAM, 64g ROM)
  2. $608: Quad Core Android 7.1 (w/2g RAM, 32g ROM)
  3. $688: Px6 Six Core Android 9 (w/4g RAM, 32g ROM)
Would you mind sharing which version you purchased, including the Android Version?

Thanks again.
I went all out and got the 6 core Android 9 64g version. They had a promo code at one time that saved about 100 bucks which is why I got the more expensive version. Definitely go with the 6core, it has fast boot. The quad core (from what I've read) is slower to boot, about 45 seconds.
My stereo didn't come with any installation instructions, and did have a few connections that with a little trial and error I finally got figured out. If you go the Phoenix route and need any guidance, I'll be happy to help!

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I was leaning in that direction and hoping you did the same :)

If I pull the trigger, I'll let you know... might have to take you up on your kind offer !

Thanks again!

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
...If you go the Phoenix route and need any guidance, I'll be happy to help!
I did go with the Phoenix PX6 64g

Got it installed and it's generally working, but a few things I can't figure out:
  1. Does it have builtin BlueTooth ? (as indicated here under "Main Features: ...WiFi Internet connection. Bluetooth music and hands-free calling..." ). I'm not finding where BlueTooth is in the typical Network/Connections section of the Android Settings.
  2. When you press the Console Icon (at the top) to display the CUE Icons, they are shifted to the right side and cut off and there is a blank/black margin on the left side.
  3. Pressing a Cue Icon results in selecting the Icon to the right of it: so the Display & Touch Mapping is offset. ex Press the Voice Icon but the Radio Icon is selected (likely related to #2 above).
  4. Rear Camera is shifted to the right, again with a blank/black margin on the left.
See attached pic's.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Any fixes?
Can you submit a picture of your Console Screen (i.e. CUE Icons) ?

Attachments

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
Any fixes?
Answering my own question, there's a great support forum for Phoenix.

It addresses the offset CUE Display problem: Back Up Camera / UI Screen Off Centered:
  1. Settings
  2. Advanced (666888)
  3. Scroll down to Parameter and Cycle through Each setting 1 through 7
  4. (Try Parameter 7)
  5. after setting parameter, restart unit
As for BlueTooth, I scanned for nearby BlueTooth devices on my phone, found the Phoenix, and connected. Just odd I couldn't find BlueTooth settings in the Phoenix Settings. Still some quirks, like actually selecting the BlueTooth Audio Source in the "BlueTooth" App/Icon at the top. I can "see" a track on my phone playing on the Phoenix Display, but I can't "hear" it coming through the speakers. If you happen to know the trick, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be doing more searches in the Phoenix's Knowledge Base.

·
Registered
SRX
60 Posts
note: My installation is in a 2014 Cadillac SRX Premium and is the Phoenix Automotive Tesla-Style Radio Head. While the original poster a similar unit in a 2017 ATS, his unboxing/installation and follow up review are still VERY applicable, helpful, thorough, and appreciated !

Direct Links to His YouTube Videos:
Unbox and Installation of a Tesla Style Head Unit in my 2017 Cadillac ATS
important note to SRX Owners: the two pieces of trim on the side of the console do NOT pop off, without first removing two screws found behind lower pieces of trim.
Tesla Style Head Unit Review in my 2017 Cadillac ATS

After installing and using for a few days, some observations and questions:

Observations/Tips:
  1. Cityscape/Calendar Home Screen CAN be changed: Go to Settings/System/Long-Hold the info info screen/7890ok: UI No "KW Purple Gold" is Cityscape/Calendar. "KW UI" removes the calendar/cityscape and uses the default logo (which can be replaced too). See attached screenshots.
  2. Adding Favorite Radio Stations to Cadillac CUE Radio: In the Factory Cadillac CUE Radio, you long-press a Favorite to memorize the Station you're tuned to. However, in Phoenix's Console version of the CUE Screen, it does not respond to a long-press. Fix/Work-Around: Rapidly tap (as fast as you can) a Favorite until it beeps and retains the station.
  3. Mini-Jack Inside Armrest/Console Becomes a Mic Input: According to Phoenix, the female mini-jack becomes a microphone input. Use the little two-inch mini-jack adapter (see picture of Male-stereo to Female Mic). (I have not tested it yet).
  4. Back Up Camera / UI Screen Off Centered: Settings/Install Set (666888ok)/Scroll down to Parameter and Cycle through Each setting 1 through 7 (Try Parameter 7)/Reboot.
  5. Time-Shift Feature May Toggle Off: In some of the CUE units, a Time-Shift feature was included in the radio (CUE/Radio/Menu/Time-Shift). (note: I think Cadillac removed this feature at one point, so not all CUE Radios have it). If it is toggled off, simply toggle it back on.
  6. Extra Harness: I could not find where to connect one harness (see attached pic). Phoenix Automotive responded: "It is the T-Connector" and linked to this install video. At 4:48 minutes, it describes it as "This T-Harness connection is only needed for steering wheel control of previous/next for after-market apps."
Questions:

1. GoogleMaps or HereMaps Voice only thru Aux Input Source: This one is frustrating. I can't listen to the CUE Radio AND hear directions from Google Maps at the same time because the Voice Prompts are only routed to Aux Input (so I have to switch the input from XM to Aux). In Google Maps, I tried enabling/disabling Sound Over BlueTooth (Settings/Navigation/SoundOverBlueTooth), but that didn't help. Can anyone hear Turn/By/Turn Directions from Google Maps or HereMaps WHILE listening to the Cadillac/CUE Radio? Is there a setting in the PX6 which controls this?
I have reached out to Phoenix Automotive with questions above, but they are slow to respond. I will of course post any updates here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/help !!!

Edit 08/21/2020 2:56pm: Edited my post regarding the Time-Shift Feature of the original Cadillac CUE Radio; added photo.
Edit 08/21/2020 9:00pm: Removed question about the Little External Speaker. I can actually hear Key Press Beeps through it, so I know it's working, but I can't here Navigation Prompts.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts