Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have been lurking on this site and reading endless posts about power window problems. 2002 Cadillac Deville - drivers side window quit working. Cannot be budged manually with the power on and the switch pressed. Took it to a shop for advice, they ran a ground wire to one of the pedals and advised I needed a new switch. Ground wire stopped working after a week, took it somewhere else. Re-grounded the wire the same way, window started working. They said I need a new window motor.

So - if the issue is fixed by running the ground wire, what is the root cause?

Window regulator, window motor, both or window switch? I don't want to get ripped off, since the driver side motor is more expensive then just the regulator or switch. I'm confused - help please! Thanks in advance - V:>:confused:

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville
156 Posts
Where exactly is the ground wire attached? With this wire attached, does the window operate correctly?
You would not need a new motor if the motor operates OK with the wire in place.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The ground wire is run from the window motor and it allows the window to go down when the contact is manually initiated. The window can go up without the ground connection. The ground is not attached constantly (to the emergency brake for example) but only when needed to bring the window down.

Many thanks bill57! :wave: I appreciate your time & information. :>V

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That barely makes any sense at all.
If they attached a ground wire to something it should be fixed for good.

I'd have to know more about the specifics of what they did to be able to help you. If you can get a picture of what they did that would help.
Otherwise I'd almost have to know what wire they grounded and where.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
The window motor is driven by 12 volts and a ground applied to pins A & B of the window motor the 12 volts and ground are reversed to drive the motor in the opposite direction. This reverse switching is done inside the DDM (drivers door module) the DDM receives a ground input from the door switch to tell it which direction to go and when.

These are the possibilities...

- most likely the door switch is bad
- the DDM could be bad
- wiring from the DDM to the door switch could be bad

- the wiring from the DDM to the motor should be good... the same 2 wires are used to drive the motor up and down
- the motor and regulator should be good it drives the window up and down when commanded with the correct inputs are applied

If you have a factory service manual look at the door schematic with a meter or temporary ground it should be easy to troubleshoot. Or you could go with the most likely suspect and change the door switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts