Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm wondering if this is a NORMAL temp gauge action for the N*!

On a cold start I literally watch my temp gauge needle rise a bar and a half from the initial C "Cold" in exactly 6 seconds... Is that normal, or is mine oversensitive/out of range? On any other vehicle I've owned I actually can drive the car for a few minutes before the needle even moves off the C "Cold" and starts rising....

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Not "normal" by my observations. That said I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
It depends on how "cold" the engine really was when you started it. If you drove it that previous night, and parked it in the garage, and started it the next morning, and it's hot out, it's perfectly normal. My '97 SLS had the ability to display the actual coolant temperature, and a "cold" start in the garage after a blistering hot NC day was actually about 115*F for coolant temperature.

My '01 STS cannot display the temperature on the DIC, but the coolant gauge will act the same way. It was 102*F yesterday in Fayetteville and was 83*F already this morning on the ride to work at 0630. The temperature inside my garage this morning was near 100*F. That doesn't give the engine much opportunity to cool down.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on how "cold" the engine really was when you started it. If you drove it that previous night, and parked it in the garage, and started it the next morning, and it's hot out, it's perfectly normal. My '97 SLS had the ability to display the actual coolant temperature, and a "cold" start in the garage after a blistering hot NC day was actually about 115*F for coolant temperature.

My '01 STS cannot display the temperature on the DIC, but the coolant gauge will act the same way. It was 102*F yesterday in Fayetteville and was 83*F already this morning on the ride to work at 0630. The temperature inside my garage this morning was near 100*F. That doesn't give the engine much opportunity to cool down.

That makes complete sense... I am in Texas, and it has been anywhere from 105-110F heat index the last week or so here. I parked my car at work, and after 8 hours started it up watching the temp needle immediately start rising. I agree that the engine was indeed still warm even after 8 hours due to the excessive heat.

Thanks, I feel better now!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
That makes complete sense... I am in Texas, and it has been anywhere from 105-110F heat index the last week or so here. I parked my car at work, and after 8 hours started it up watching the temp needle immediately start rising. I agree that the engine was indeed still warm even after 8 hours due to the excessive heat.
Yes, I just went out to lunch, 1115 this morning, and the outside temperature is already reading 96*F. The engine was still half warm from the drive in this morning. I expect the needle to rise at least half way when I leave this evening at 1600.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,129 Posts
:thumbsup: Agreed. and.......the thermostat setup in a N* is such that there is NO coolant flow outside the engine until the thermostat begins to open at 188 degrees, fully open at 206. The fast warmup lowers emissions..............?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
When I turned the car on at 1615 tonight, after about 4 hours of sitting in the heat, the temperature gauge immediately jumped to more than halfway to normal. The outside temperature registered at 110*F. Once moving, it jumped between 101-102*F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts