Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Brougham 5.7L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i rely heavily on the things I read here and the suggestions of experienced caddy owners........and i need your help again!!

I have a 1992 Brougham 5.7L. I removed the catalyct converter and replaced it with a resonator. Also, I removed the back resonator and made the pipe stick out in back of the tire. I want to replace my muffler, but I do not know what to get..... I don't want it to be loud, yet I want that 350 power. (I don't know it these engines need backpressure or not)......Tell me what muffler to get!!!!

Thanks again

Montreal, Quebec

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
NO engine NEEDS backpressure. They do not understand the internal workings of the engine if they are preaching that engines NEED backpressure. I highly recommend finding an old long out of print Edelbrock book that explains this in good detail.

A long time ago Thrush had the "truck turbo", that flowed very well and was fairly quiet, making only a hp or 2 less than straight pipes. I don't know if it is available, but I would look for something like that. Larger mufflers have more room to allow for good flow (if designed well) and still be quiet.

I had the Hooker Super Comp mufflers on my cutlass, and liked them a lot, and they were pretty quiet on the inside of the car, but outside they had a great low tone, and it could be heard for a block or 2 away (I loved it), just a quiet rumble, not loud at all. Low frequencies travel well.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Maybe Magnaflows? I know that chambered mufflers are great for flow right next to glasspacks but you said quiet lol.

Stay away from Flowmasters...

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
I've heard good things about those Super Comps. Terrible, you don't like Flowmasters? I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I really like the "tinny" sound they give.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Glasspacks are lousy for flow, they are very turbulent. Avoid.

Even the old chamber exhaust for the 69 Camaro, better than the era mufflers, but turbulent. But the sound, ahh.....

The mufflers I like the best are:

Edelbrock Performer RPM's: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mufflers_rpm.html
Hooker Aerochambers
Borla Hemi: http://www.hopupracing.com/bohesthipemu.html ( this is lkely my choice when I get around to mufflers on the Cad )

Here are some reviews: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/results.html

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
90Brougham350 said:
I've heard good things about those Super Comps. Terrible, you don't like Flowmasters? I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I really like the "tinny" sound they give.
Ah, it's just the consitant drone they made in my friends truck at around 2-2.5k rpm. Drove me crazy.
I've also heard that they are far from the masters of flow, but won't get into that because I wouldn't really know, and can't confirm it.

Hooker Aerochambers...that's what the '76 is going to be packin' :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts