Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, ever since I got my V I have not been able to get it into competition mode. My TPS sensors work and my NAV has been replaced. I'm thinking the NAV has not been set up correctly for a V. The one dealer I was at had no clue what I was talking about so I said hell with it and got the car back (this was during my rear end replacement). Anyways, what am I missing out on? Is this mode just a less restrictive traction control setting or is there engine management involved? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
First push: traction control off, stability control on
Second push: "competition mode" = traction control off, stability control reduced

I had the same problem when my Nav was replaced: no competition mode and no personalization features. A knowledgeable technician can fix it given a few minutes and a Tech 2 programmer. You just need to find a knowledgeable technician, or gently guide your service department to the right answer. It's all written down for them somewhere in GM speak.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Note that you can get sideways some when you're in competition mode. Danger, Will Robinson! Stabilitrack will kick in to try and save you but it will kick in much later than usual, late enough so that you may have already lost some lower G.I. mass. I'm here to tell ya...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
118 Posts
Competition Mode fully disables traction control, and allows greater yaw rates before kicking in StabiliTrak. Can you toggle the traction control button on the steering wheel to any of the available modes? There is also a t/c button inside the glove compartment. (Why's that? Probably a CTS hold-over.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Ghost-V said:
Competition Mode fully disables traction control, and allows greater yaw rates before kicking in StabiliTrak. Can you toggle the traction control button on the steering wheel to any of the available modes? There is also a t/c button inside the glove compartment. (Why's that? Probably a CTS hold-over.)
I can toggle traction control on and off, and also hold the T/C button and turn off StabiliTrak. I never see a screen for competion mode.

Here is another question - why would competition mode be dependant on the TPS functionality? :confused:

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
brtnharv said:
I can toggle traction control on and off, and also hold the T/C button and turn off StabiliTrak. I never see a screen for competion mode.
That's the way it was for me, too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish there was some type of document I could print out and take to the dealer and say .."Here just follow this - thanks"

I've tried to explain the problem to 2 dealers now either they've never heard of the problem or don't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
How do you guys know you're in Comp mode if you never see the screen?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem after having my NAV replaced. My dealer also had no idea what I was talking about (WHAT A F'ING SURPRISE!). I finally got them to call someone, don't know who, at GM who instructed the service tech to perform the Tech 2 reprogram on the NAV unit. They fixed everything while I waited (about 30 minutes) and I was on my way WITH Comp Mode on ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dreamin said:
How do you guys know you're in Comp mode if you never see the screen?

Damn that is cool. Wish mine did that... Any dealer technicians out there have a how-to on this, or even a reference number to some documentation? I'm sure this would be helpful in the future for other V owners as well...rather than going around and around with an unknowing dealer.

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
Here's the deal;

Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement - kw ABS audio display navigation repair program Stabilitrak SWC TCS TRAC Off #PIC3174 - (Sep 29, 2004)
Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.
Condition/Concern:
Customer or technician may have a concern of "Competitive Driving Mode" display missing after a radio replacement. Current Tech 2 software does not support the CTS-V.
Recommendation/Instructions:
The Technician should contact Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 for an updated Tech 2 calibration until the release of Tech 2 software version 24.007
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.
Models:
(2004 2005 Cadillac CTS-V )

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry to keep being a pain, but I did an IE search on the FAQ TSB page for PIC3174, mode, driving, competitive..couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
brtnharv said:
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry to keep being a pain, but I did an IE search on the FAQ TSB page for PIC3174, mode, driving, competitive..couldn't find anything.
You're not a pain, we always help each other out. And here's another... there are other conditions that will lock out competion mode. One is tires that are over- or under-pressured. The manual might state what the operating range is, don't recall off hand. On the high side I think it's > 37 psi.

I'm guessing they wrote the program such that any condition that's a compromise of safety or reliability will cause a lock out. Anyone aware of other specfic conditions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts