Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Does anyone know if a telescopic steering wheel from a 1980-1984 Deville would fit on a 1989 Brougham? I would really like to replace my Brougham leather wheel for the Telescopic wood grain one on the Deville. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ram

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
i think it should fit...if not you could get one from an 87 brougham. mine has tilt and telescope and woodgrain.

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
647 Posts
I'm not sure if you could change it to telescopic without changing the whole steering column, anyone know how the telescopic wheel actually works?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,116 Posts
You must match the wheel to the column. If the car has a tele column, you can swap on any tele wheel. I put a leather wheel from a later FWB on my 81. The pics are in my coupe project thread.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know if your car has a telescopic wheel column?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,116 Posts
Top of the wheel, behind the horn pad, there will be a small lever that slides back and forth. Move the lever to unlock, then pull/push the wheel towards/away from you, then slide the lever the other way to lock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, so thats what that lever is for!! Ok Jay you've done it again. Thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
yeah when I first got my 87 this guy i know was like "oh you have the telescoping wheel!" and I was like "wtf is that?" lol he got in and showed me and I was like :O amazing!

It's a pretty cool feature.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I didn't know what that lever was for either when I first got the car. took me a while to figure it out. I moved it to unlock position (opposite of how it was normally) and drove around to see what would happen. lo and behold, the wheel moved towards me. made it a whole lot easier to drive with the wheel towards me.

·
Registered
1976 Sedan deVille
39 Posts
Just FWIW: Cadillacs never came with just a tilt wheel. It was either solid column, or tilt-tele, no other way.
The tilt mechanism is simplicity itself: imagine two tubes that just slide together. slit the smaller one down the side closest to the end, but not through to the end, about 1 inch. Weld that end shut. Weld a nut atop the other end. Now take a wedge, insert into the slot, place a rod on top of that, and tighten the rod with a screw through the nut. That screw is what the lever (or horn button on really early models) turns.

The column below the tele mechanism is the same, but to swop you will need everything above the tilt knuckle, and it's probably easier to swop whole columns. And columns definitely have eras, '65 - '68; '69 - '76; '77 - airbag.

Cosmo

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
i think my 95 is a tilt but not telescope...unless I haven't figured out how to telescope it :(

·
Registered
1991 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L V8
613 Posts
LOL, my 92 had the telescopic steering....I had never had that on a car before. Old Edward was a bit of a junkheap...the first time I flipped the switch to pull the wheel towards me, the entire wheel came off in my hand. Fortunately I had a FSM and it was easy to put back on.

·
Registered
1976 Sedan deVille
39 Posts
Sorry - I don't play with newer Caddys, so I overlooked that they were/are not tilt-tele.
COsmo

·
Registered
95 FWB Blk on Blk. (120K) 98 Deville Concours, 1991 SDV.
133 Posts
My 89 CDV had tele/tilt then my 90 deville had the first yr. for Airbag = not Tele. I also think that the 2000 or so generations came back w/ the Tele option or something again, of course while maintaining the airbag feature. I really do miss the Tele option on my 3 Caddys....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys,
I recently received my wood grain steering wheel, which I will be promptly swapping out for my leather one. Does anyone know how difficult it is to change steering wheels? Can it be done using a wrench set? I'm not changing the entire column, just the wheel. Any pointers would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts