Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the junkyard today and found a nice tan leather wrapped wheel in an 85 eldorado. I went to pull it and noticed that the telescopic wheel is not at all like the normal wheels. How do I remove a telescopic wheel?
Also, the telescopic feature was broken (lever was limp and could be moved left to right willy nilly) and the column is broken (spins freely despite being key position being in lock.)
Will this affect removal and can I fix the telescopic function? (I will be keeping this wheel in case mine cracks)

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,735 Posts
You remove it just like the regular wheel. Once the wheel is off, you can tighten the floppy tele lever. I put photos in my coupe project thread when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Don't you have a body shell to pick up? lol
LOL

I was in the junkyard today and found a nice tan leather wrapped wheel in an 85 eldorado. I went to pull it and noticed that the telescopic wheel is not at all like the normal wheels. How do I remove a telescopic wheel?
Also, the telescopic feature was broken (lever was limp and could be moved left to right willy nilly) and the column is broken (spins freely despite being key position being in lock.)
Will this affect removal and can I fix the telescopic function? (I will be keeping this wheel in case mine cracks)
As far as the wheel spinning, was it connected to the steering box? The wheel is still pretty simple to remove. Doesnt your caddy have tilt?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
csbuckn said:
LOL

As far as the wheel spinning, was it connected to the steering box? The wheel is still pretty simple to remove. Doesnt your caddy have tilt?
I'm not sure. I know when I was in the car 2 weeks ago, it didn't spin freely.
My caddy does have tilt telescopic wheel.

I talked to talismandave and he helped me out with how to remove the center disc (which covers the bolt holes used to pull the wheel.) Now I just need to go back and pull it.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Since the center shaft moves in and out, just move the wheel all the way out and hammer the center shaft in a couple times and it should pop off...after you take the nut off.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Remove horn pad then remove the 3 little screws from the telescopic disc holding the lever to it, the disc then unscrews from the center shaft. Then loosen the large center nut and unscrew it till it's flush with the shaft. Then hit the shaft hard with a hammer while pulling up on the wheel. It will pop free of the shaft splines and because the nut is still on, it wont bang you in the face! Remove nut, remove wheel. On your car use a puller so as to not possibly damage your center shaft.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
He called me last night, the part of the puzzle he was missing was the disc that screws off. He couldn't get it off and was obscuring the rest of the stuff he was familiar with.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
The disc that locks the telescopic column needs a pair of pliers to remove it in most cases. It's too small to get good leverage with just your hand. Lefty loosey, Righty tighty!!!

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
carnut said:
The disc that locks the telescopic column needs a pair of pliers to remove it in most cases. It's too small to get good leverage with just your hand. Lefty loosey, Righty tighty!!!
I used channellocks
And I already have the wheel in my hands :)

(At least if anyone else needs the info in the future, it will be there)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here's a picture of the wheel I got. The picture is a bit dark. I'll take a better one once I clean the wheel

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
When i had my 88 FWD Coupe it had a blue cloth interior with a blue plastic wheel. Preferring the leather wheel, I went to pick n pull. There on a roof was a cherry blue leather wheel!! I removed it with 2 fingers and no tools!!! I also installed all the real wood from a FWD Fleetwood to the dash. I then installed a rear sway bar from a limited production FWD Touring coupe and the little trunk spoiler only offered on the touring coupe. My 84 Sedan already has the leather wheel. I just installed an 84 leather wheel on my buddy's 79 sedan. Makes a huge difference IMO.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wondering...if you removed the leather from a leather wheel, would you have a plastic wheel?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
From the wheels I've seen that were cut, you just have a soft metal underneath. Something designed to collapse during impact.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts