Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2006 STS 3.6
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, bought a cheapy version in Asia with CANdi and everything. Quoted to be working for "all since 1992 to 2014 were produced with General Motors car diagnostics". So should be useable on my 2006 STS.

Good news, I managed to update firmware on radio and nav, and read DTC and fix it and clear it. But...when it testes the 23 modules in my car, it can only connect to 7 of them. I complained to the seller. First she said "sorry, can only do 7 modules". When I then raised a claim to get it at half price or return it, she says they can fix it online. I've been waiting now for two days for her "engineer" to have time when I have time, they're on Asian time apparently.

Does anybody know what's going on? Is it a simple update missing? A 2006 cars should have been in the sw years ago? Is the seller just trying to wear me down? Quite a hassle, but buying a certified GM at $xxxx+ is out of the question for me...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2006 STS 3.6
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did read that warning. And generally I try not to be cheap when buying tools etc., but the originals cost 10x, meaning somebody has a 90% margin, I don't want to pay for that.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I completely understand that, I am the same way! I need access to a tech2 right now to reprogram my car as a US vehicle (is Canadian right now)

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,016 Posts
Which modules can it connect to and which ones does it fail to connect to ?

----------

and what version of the GM Software is on the unit?

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
I don't believe that the STS ever changed up to the new Global Architecture platform. I have a 2010 nav radio in my car and I communicate with it just fine. Not all vehicles did, in fact I believe for 2010 there were only four.

Not all cars have all modules. My Tech2 doesn't connect with all of the ones listed either, but it does communicate correctly with all those that are installed. The North American STS doesn't have the Steering Column Lock Module, Headlamp Leveling Module, Television/VICS Module and if I'm not mistaken, one other that I don't recall off hand.

I think there is something definitely wrong with either your scan tool or CANDi module which is really too bad. Hope you're able to get some sort of resolution.

----------

One other consideration... 10x doesn't mean a 90% margin. These clone tools are not manufactured to the same standard, the components are not the same quality and there definitely seems to be some engineering (or in this case, cloning) problems. Some of what you pay for is the peace of mind in knowing the genuine article has passed much more testing and stringent requirements. This costs money. I'm not saying that HP, Bosch or Vetronix (all have manufactured the Tech2 over the years) aren't making money, but there is a price to pay for a durable, quality product.

----------

A little further reading of some GM Technical Bulletins confirms that the Global A electrical architecture is limited (in 2010) to the Camaro, LaCrosse, Equinox, Terrain and SRX. I'm not surprised that both the Terrain and Equinox appear together because they are basically the same in two different GM lines. So, there "should not" be any problem using a Tech2 with any model year of STS.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,016 Posts
I'd assume that any newly released model after 2010 is also using this arch.
The STS died basically with the last minor changes for 09. They certainly wouldn't redo the electronics a third time for a dead platform for 2010 when they just changed it in 08 and the 2011 model was the end of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts