Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems I have screwed a few things up here. First off, the new bump stops that come w/ the Eibach springs that are SUPPOSED to go on the back, I retardedly put them on the front. You know what that means? I get to redo almost everything :crybaby: Anyways, I have the Powergrid adjustable swaybar endlinks, as well as the stock endlinks. When I put the Powergrids on, they werent exactly short enough yet they were shorter than stock. PITA to get in as well. When I lowered the car back down off the jack, the Powergrids snapped on both sides. I cant get the factory ones in (eibach lowering springs) and im afraid that if i do, they are going to snap as well. I read somewhere that people are using z06 endlinks. if so, what year, and is it a regular vette end link or a z06 endlink? Im thinking if the z06's are closer to what i need, then i can get a Powergrid adjustable endlink for a z06? I wouldnt want to put a stock z06 endlink in because i know that it wouldnt exactly be adjusted properly. the angle on the front swaybar is such a damn pain, why couldnt they just make it vertical?? :thepan: Well its time to clean up the garage, put the wheels back on and pull her in...im done for the night :yawn:

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
stock C5 Z06

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
If you install the end links with the car on Rhino Ramps (which are cheaper than end links by the way) you get a better look at the suspension component clearances such as shock to sway bar clearance, end-link fit, etc.

(When I installed my front Hotchkis swaybar I put in backwards - had the car been on jackstands the end-links would have bolted up and then broken when lowered. Because the car was on ramps I discovered my mistake before breaking anything.)

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
How about some more details on the Powergrid links ? How were they a PITA to install, and how did they fail ? Pics ?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
If you install the end links with the car on Rhino Ramps (which are cheaper than end links by the way) you get a better look at the suspension component clearances such as shock to sway bar clearance, end-link fit, etc.

(When I installed my front Hotchkis swaybar I put in backwards - had the car been on jackstands the end-links would have bolted up and then broken when lowered. Because the car was on ramps I discovered my mistake before breaking anything.)
How did you install a sway bar and endlinks with the wheels still on the car?

There is no way I could a have installed my sway bars with the car on ramps.

Or are you saying you installed new endlinks after you had installed the bars and the wheels were back on? :hmm:

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
How about some more details on the Powergrid links ? How were they a PITA to install, and how did they fail ? Pics ?
I was just messing with mine last night. It's much easier if you leave all the bolts loose, while you put in the end links. Sometimes you need to jack up the control arm.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was just messing with mine last night. It's much easier if you leave all the bolts loose, while you put in the end links. Sometimes you need to jack up the control arm.
Yes, very true tony..

You can pick up the end links at Lindsay.. Call Luke.. He sent mine at a decent price..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta pick up some ramps to adjust the links anyways, so good idea darkman because i can then kill two birds w/ one stone if i install em on ramps. rjoffe, the fact that they are the powergrid brand does not make them a PITA to install, no more than stock. simply it was because the didnt fit because they were too long and preloaded in the wrong direction when the suspension settled down, in turn stretching the endlinks beyond their capabilities. I should have stopped when i saw that the joints on the endlinks were maxed out and not level :/ . CTS510, yes that seems to be what needs to be done. Twitch, i tryed everything i could, but there is no substitute for having the right part. Hopefully powergrid will swap me out for some z06 endlinks, especially since they were like $170 out the door and i never got to even drive on em :(

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just saw BigJim's post. He's been running these without a problem - knew he had adjustables, but didn't know he was running Powergrids. Is it possible you installed them wrong or they weren't adjusted properly?

The Eibachs do go lower than the Ground Control, however, if they work on the Ground Control, I would think they would be all right on the Eibachs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, that really blows. Did you have 'em adjusted at the shortest length? So the Powergrids are a no go?
They were at the shortest length, powergrids ARE a go...so far. Just make sure you buy the correct one. CTS-V links on the front if you are NOT going to lower, C5 links if you ARE going to lower your suspension. Gotta call powergrid on monday and see if they will do anything for me

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Just saw BigJim's post. He's been running these without a problem - knew he had adjustables, but didn't know he was running Powergrids. Is it possible you installed them wrong or they weren't adjusted properly?

The Eibachs do go lower than the Ground Control, however, if they work on the Ground Control, I would think they would be all right on the Eibachs.
Actually, I haven't had much time on them yet. They were installed last fall the weeks leading up to V-Day II. However, since my FG2s were failing, I decided not to track the V and stay home. I only had maybe a few weeks on the Powergrids before putting the V away for the winter. And the V has been driven very little this spring with the QA1 issues with getting new front brackets and my mis-install with the rears...:rant2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im officially in some serious mod HELL right now...just to let you guys know, Powergrids do NOT fit in the front including the Z06 links, but i AM going to make them fit. Breaking out the grinder, gotta take some material off of the lower ball joint. Pics will be up later, and wish me luck on this P.O.S.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
:welcome: :wavehi:

:wavehi: :welcome: :wavehi:

:welcome: :wavehi: :welcome:

Ain't mod hell grand?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to die really. I cant figure it the fugg out

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Post up some pics. Maybe we can see something you missed.
Are you sure the sway bar is not upside down?
Big Jim has these, and I've tracked the stockers while lowered. It can't just be the length. I even drove it one night with the car VERY low.
I'm going through something similar with my car. Stock sway bar is on the front right now. You may need to go with the C5 Z06 end links.
Get the pics of your setup. Hopefully you just did something wrong, and we spot it.

Tony

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill put a pic up soon. I didnt even thing about the sway bar being upside down. damnit. I ended up installing the links in an alternate configuration since there was no way i could get the link in the factory way. It seemed to work, until i hit a speed bump too hard last night, stressed out the ball joint and it popped out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Driver side, looking forward from the rear. As you can see there is crap for clearance. I drew up this real quick to show orientation of my bar:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Hard to tell from my blackberry.
Just looked at mine. With the car on the ground, the edge of the sway bar (the part you bolt the links to) should be at a downward angle toward the rear.
The end links should be in a Z formation on the drivers side, and mirrored on the pass side.
Loosen up the four bolts holding the sway bar. This will make it much easier to get the end links in the right way. You still my need to get a jack under the control arm to raise/lower it.
Try try again.
PS I was actually thinking about installing the endlinks the same way you did, but I lost the ebay auction for the ones I wanted. Guess we don't know better than GM huh, lol

1 - 20 of 65 Posts