Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,307 Posts
If this helps, the device comes with VMWare player on a disc, that has the 32 bit xp session on it. You can run that on Windows 10, but you'll be using a Win 95 session. That's what Carguy is doing above when you see the GDS2 session because it won't run on Win10.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,144 Posts
I emailed VCX to find out which unit would work on a 2005 Escalade (EVAP CEL) and a 2000 Volvo (OX Sensor CEL - but which one?). They said nothing would work with WIN 10 so I asked about WIN 7 and they said:

View attachment 495425

Not exactly a ringing endorsement since XP is, Oh, 4-5 generations behind.

I guess I could the reread whole thread, but will these work with WIN 7 (64 bit) and what is the difference (functionally) between the Nano and the Nano Pro? Both are on Amazon. Thanks Grady
I have the VCX software on a Windows 10 laptop, however it has to be installed on a virtual drive. Therefore, this is not a plug and play set-up. The VCX product does includes that VMware virtual drive software but you will have to set it up on your computer. It is not hard to do it if you are familiar with computers, but can be real pain if you are the type that have to call tech support for your personal computer problems.

So the software will work on Windows 10, but it will take some work to get it started. Therefore, VCX statement is true. It will not work directly on Windows 10, hence the need for the virtual XP drive.

If you are not comfortable dealing with installing virtual drives then just buy a Tech 2 hand-held unit which does not require any extra steps to use. Just plug and play.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,307 Posts
If you are not comfortable dealing with installing virtual drives then just buy a Tech 2 hand-held unit which does not require any extra steps to use. Just plug and play.
But needs a computer with a serial comm port, not many newer computers have those. You will also want Win95 if you plan to run the GM stuff.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,144 Posts
But needs a computer with a serial comm port, not many newer computers have those. You will also want Win95 if you plan to run the GM stuff.
I am referring to the actual Tech 2 tool that is hand-held with a screen. Not the tech2 software. The Tech 2 hand-held just plugs into the 2005 Caddy diagnostic port and interface with the system.

This unit.
http://www.hobdii.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scanner-with-d-card.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ceGoa_21wIVRzuBCh2RpwD8EAYYAiABEgKB8vD_BwE

·
Registered
None listed
5 Posts
Tech-2

I have been researching on the "fake" tech-2's and have found a pdf on how to spot the fakes for those of us who want to get one on line or on eBay
http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/CloneTech2.pdf

Now I have ordered me one from here
http://www.chinacardiag.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scannerworks-for-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden-1011.html
By going by the pdf it looks like it's the real deal but I will give it a good look over before plugging it into my truck but by looking at the pics it looks like the real deal
I should be getting it on the 15th
If it doesn't work or is in fact a clone then I will return it and wait for a used hp model

Also for those who are wondering the company called vetronix made the tech-1 and the software for the tech-2 then when hp sold the rights back to vetronix who made them till Bosch bought them out
I found them on facebook,they tell me that domain have already change to chinacardiags.com so this is the link

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,086 Posts
Whether you call them a clone or not they all work the same so buy the lowest priced one. The cardboard box is cheaper than the black plastic case. I use the Tech2 and the long cable with the OBD2 adapter. I use nothing else in the box.
It seems to me that Vetronics was still trying to sell their remaining units after dealers stopped buying them and the Chinese manufacturer had a warehouse full and wanted to dump them too. So call the Chinese manufacturer units clones so you can sell off your leftovers at a higher price.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Whether you call them a clone or not they all work the same so buy the lowest priced one. The cardboard box is cheaper than the black plastic case. I use the Tech2 and the long cable with the OBD2 adapter. I use nothing else in the box.
It seems to me that Vetronics was still trying to sell their remaining units after dealers stopped buying them and the Chinese manufacturer had a warehouse full and wanted to dump them too. So call the Chinese manufacturer units clones so you can sell off your leftovers at a higher price.
Your statement is very accurate. I bought a cheap Tech 2 hand-held unit shipped from China and it does what I need it to do well. I recently used my Tech 2 to help with my brake bleeding. The cheap Tech 2 was able to use the ABS auto bleeding and function test perfectly. No complains from me about my China shipped Tech 2 unit.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts