Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
Your scan tool cannot do anywhere as much as these to do. Can you bleed the brakes or read the rear leveling sensors or test the rear lowering solenoid?

·
Registered
Escalade
74 Posts
I'm not sure, maybe my my scantool can lol. Seriously had no idea you could do all that with these devices. Google is my friend. Going to read about them. Is it transferable to diff make/model vehicles?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
I just purchased an VCX wifi nano today on Amazon. I will rotate my tires soon on my Caddy and Buick; and want to properly reassign the TPMS correctly, so I will use the VCX to do a TPMS relearn. I hope it works on 2014 cars like my Buick Lacrosse.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,281 Posts
I'm betting you'll use the VCX on both once you get it.
You are right, I will probably just use the one VCX for both cars. Damn, I wasted about $300 on my Tech 2. However, I will still use my Tech 2 to do a quick diagnostic test on the Caddy since I will just keep it in the back of the Caddy for trouble shooting away from home. I store my Tech 2 in an old Craftsman power tool case.

·
Registered
None listed
6 Posts
Re: Tech-2

I have been researching on the "fake" tech-2's and have found a pdf on how to spot the fakes for those of us who want to get one on line or on eBay
http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/CloneTech2.pdf

Now I have ordered me one from here
http://www.chinacardiag.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scannerworks-for-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden-1011.html
By going by the pdf it looks like it's the real deal but I will give it a good look over before plugging it into my truck but by looking at the pics it looks like the real deal
I should be getting it on the 15th
If it doesn't work or is in fact a clone then I will return it and wait for a used hp model

Also for those who are wondering the company called vetronix made the tech-1 and the software for the tech-2 then when hp sold the rights back to vetronix who made them till Bosch bought them out
I have used Tech 2 clone from china to do ebcm,very well; Notice That they change domain to chinacardiags.com, sp23 or sp23-1 item is ok,wish helped

·
Registered
2003 GMT 830, 2007 GMT 926
93 Posts
After troubleshooting installation aka whack-a-mole, I was able to get the VCX working.
There are a few things to note here. As previously stated there are no instructions.
Follow this video only as an outline.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaI9kYxgEyQ

The order of installation I followed:
1. GM MDI Manager
2. Tech2WIN
3. VX Manager

Problems I experienced:
1. I recently skipped a Windows update and as a consequence Tech2WIN crashed.
2. MDI Manager had to be reinstalled.
3. Device driver software had to be reinstalled.

So, after communications success and erasing DTC's I wonder how well the VCX will perform programming...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It also took me a few tries to get my VCX unit working due to not having any instructions. I am using the GDS2 diagnostic software. My issue was trying to get the USB to work on the virtual drive so it would communicate with the car. I figured it out and was able to access the modules in my 2014 Buick. The VCX is not a plug and play system at all out if the box.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
You are right, I will probably just use the one VCX for both cars. Damn, I wasted about $300 on my Tech 2. However, I will still use my Tech 2 to do a quick diagnostic test on the Caddy since I will just keep it in the back of the Caddy for trouble shooting away from home. I store my Tech 2 in an old Craftsman power tool case.
Mines is in an old laptop bag, it fit just right and the attachment all went in a pocket.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
It also took me a few tries to get my VCX unit working due to not having any instructions. I am using the GDS2 diagnostic software. My issue was trying to get the USB to work on the virtual drive so it would communicate with the car. I figured it out and was able to access the modules in my 2014 Buick. The VCX is not a plug and play system at all out if the box.
Does your VCX Nano connect to the computer with WiFi like some adds say or does it use Bluetooth like some adds state. I understand you can use WiFi to update the software on the laptop. I think some companies selling them do not know the difference. Thinking about selling my Tech2 and getting a VCX Nano.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
Does your VCX Nano connect to the computer with WiFi like some adds say or does it use Bluetooth like some adds state. I understand you can use WiFi to update the software on the laptop. I think some companies selling them do not know the difference. Thinking about selling my Tech2 and getting a VCX Nano.
You can connect either WiFi direct or via your network. However, I find the wireless kind of tough and go so I use the USB cable.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The WIFI does work,but I did not hook up by using it. The VCX shows up on the available WiFi hot spots on my laptop so I guess that it send information that way. However, I was testing module features on my 2014 Buick so I did not want to just rely on a wireless connection that could fail midway through an diagnostic test. Plus, I was sitting in the car with my laptop so I do not see the point of using wifi two feet from the OBD port.

I will test out WiFi soon to see if it really does work reliably.

Here is some pictures of the VCX menus.

The VCX device manager that allows you configure it for USB or WiFi connection.

The VCX as a WiFi hub

The GDS2 software that has to be put on a Windows XP virtual drive.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I found I had no internet access when I connected directly to the VCX like shown in your photo because my laptop would only acknowledges one ip connection at a time. So I let the VCX connect to my LAN, then connected to it that way so I could still have access to the internet. Can you see if you have similar results?

The VCX as a WiFi hub

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I found I had no internet access when I connected directly to the VCX like shown in your photo because my laptop would only acknowledges one ip connection at a time. So I let the VCX connect to my LAN, then connected to it that way so I could still have access to the internet. Can you see if you have similar results?
You are doing it correctly, because when you hook up to the VCX hub then you are disconnect from your internet WiFi router and make a wireless connection to the VCX hub. Mine work the same way.

However, I have to figure to out how to bridge my WiFi connection with the virtual drive LAN only connection. I guess I have to do a wireless LAN connection to the VCX on the physical system and then somehow bridge it to the LAN on the virtual drive.

Here is the laptop connected to WiFi VCX connection.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV
37 Posts
Slightly off topic but I got an persistent/reoccuring EVAP CEL. I've replaced everything in the EVAP system (I think) over the past year. Would a VCX be able to read the problem? Thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes. It has all the Tech2 features and capabilities. Including EVAP testing.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV
37 Posts
I emailed VCX to find out which unit would work on a 2005 Escalade (EVAP CEL) and a 2000 Volvo (OX Sensor CEL - but which one?). They said nothing would work with WIN 10 so I asked about WIN 7 and they said:

VCX.JPG

Not exactly a ringing endorsement since XP is, Oh, 4-5 generations behind.

I guess I could the reread whole thread, but will these work with WIN 7 (64 bit) and what is the difference (functionally) between the Nano and the Nano Pro? Both are on Amazon. Thanks Grady

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts