·
Registered
'05 Escallade ESV Plat., '16 Z51 Corvette, '03 Avalanche, 12 Lexus IS350C
155 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
The one you showed costs a total of $377 and the one I showed with a case has more accessories and costs a total $370. I never did understand Chinese math.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,283 Posts
How is it better than a clone Tech2 or overstock Tech2 unit,or what ever the Chinese sourced Tech2 units really are? The VCX seems like some cheapo diagnostics unit just like the cheaper popular Tech2 units, which means the VCX units are probably made in China or some other Asian country as well.

My only thought on it is that it is cheaper than buying a Tech2 clone, and if it really does the same thing then it would be a better bargain; nothing more. The con for me against the VCX unit is that I have to carry a laptop to use it unlike the Tech2 which is a self contained handheld unit. So not better, just cheaper it seems.

Update: After doing a quick inquiry on the VCX unit, it seem to be limited up to 2012 GM models just like the Tech2 on the unit listed on Amazon.

However, it seems to have updated software downloads available on the VCX website so it maybe able to work on GM vehicles that are newer than 2012. Plus, the VCX manufacturer claims the unit has a better processor than the Tech2(very likely due to the Tech2 age) that can speed up module downloads, so it is a great deal if it does work.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
How is it better than a clone Tech2 or overstock Tech2 unit,....
Where do you start, it's much faster and does about everything the Tech II does. I use it on my 2002 PA and 2008 DTS.

Except, I would get the WiFi version. I can stick mine in the car and sit at the dining room table using Tech2Win...

I got mine for just over $100 on ebay. It was half that amount.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,283 Posts
Where do you start, it's much faster and does about everything the Tech II does. I use it on my 2002 PA and 2008 DTS.

Except, I would get the WiFi version. I can stick mine in the car and sit at the dining room table using Tech2Win...

I got mine for just over $100 on ebay. It was half that amount.
Did you ever compare the VCX vs. the Tech2 in a download contest? If not , how do you know it is faster and by how much?

Most features that I use the Tech2 for on my 2006 do not require lightning speed processing(error code checking, module interfacing,etc.)

It seems that cheaper make it better as it is the only hard evidence that warrant buying the VCX over the Tech2. Why pay 3x the price for an item that does the same thing, so in all honesty I would have gotten this over the Tech2 if I would have known about it sooner. However, think Harbor Freight vs. Snap-on tools. Cheaper does not make better.

However, other than price nothing about this makes it better than the Tech2 in my opinion unless it can work on GM models that are newer than 2012. Well, maybe the updated processor for quicker software downloads. But how often does anyone really update a 2002-2006 Escalade control module.

Per your example, why walk from your car to the kitchen table and back to your car to diagnose a problem? I would just sit in my car and do what need to be done and be done with it. I will make a sandwich after I am done. Cool idea, but no real useful application. Again, module software updating would the only reason to do that extra amount of walking that would make the wifi feature useful in my opinion since it takes about an hour to do one of those updates.

However, for the price I would buy the VCX hands down over the Tech2(clone or original). Yet, I would not trust either the VCX nor a cloned/overstock Tech2 to update the software in my BCM or ECM since these scan tools are cheap(questionable reliability) and can brick(make non-working) one of those modules if they fail during the updating process. Think about what happens if you interrupt an firmware update midway on your smart phone. I would just pay the dealership or a repair shop to update important software like that anyway just in case. But that is just me.

I would not use a $100-300 tool to possibly damage a $1000 or more control module. I would just pay the shop $150 to use there pro version and if anything goes wrong during the update the shop will replace/repair the module.

So the one advantage of the faster processor in the VCX is not really that important to me since I would never take advantage of it.

I would buy it only because it is cheap and get the job done. Not because I think it is better.

I am not trying to call you out, but I really dislike it when someone make blanket statements that something is better or worst than something without facts to back it up.

Reactions: N9LO

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did you ever compare the VCX vs. the Tech2 in a download contest? If not , how do you know it is faster and by how much?

Most features that I use the Tech2 for on my 2006 do not require lightning speed processing(error code checking, module interfacing,etc.)

It seems that cheaper make it better as it is the only hard evidence that warrant buying the VCX over the Tech2. Why pay 3x the price for an item that does the same thing, so in all honesty I would have gotten this over the Tech2 if I would have known about it sooner. However, think Harbor Freight vs. Snap-on tools. Cheaper does not make better.

However, other than price nothing about this makes it better than the Tech2 in my opinion unless it can work on GM models that are newer than 2012. Well, maybe the updated processor for quicker software downloads. But how often does anyone really update a 2002-2006 Escalade control module.

Per your example, why walk from your car to the kitchen table and back to your car to diagnose a problem? I would just sit in my car and do what need to be done and be done with it. I will make a sandwich after I am done. Cool idea, but no real useful application. Again, module software updating would the only reason to do that extra amount of walking that would make the wifi feature useful in my opinion since it takes about an hour to do one of those updates.

However, for the price I would buy the VCX hands down over the Tech2(clone or original). Yet, I would not trust either the VCX nor a cloned/overstock Tech2 to update the software in my BCM or ECM since these scan tools are cheap(questionable reliability) and can brick(make non-working) one of those modules if they fail during the updating process. Think about what happens if you interrupt an firmware update midway on your smart phone. I would just pay the dealership or a repair shop to update important software like that anyway just in case. But that is just me.

I would not use a $100-300 tool to possibly damage a $1000 or more control module. I would just pay the shop $150 to use there pro version and if anything goes wrong during the update the shop will replace/repair the module.

So the one advantage of the faster processor in the VCX is not really that important to me since I would never take advantage of it.

I would buy it only because it is cheap and get the job done. Not because I think it is better.

I am not trying to call you out, but I really dislike it when someone make blanket statements that something is better or worst than something without facts to back it up.
I have both the VCX and a Tech2 and the VCX is hands down a MUCH better tool. Here are the top reasons:

1. VCX works on Windows 7,8 and 10 - Tech2 needs Windows XP to work reliably and on my machine that means I need to run it in a VM machine
2. VCX works on multiple vehicle - almost all major brands. Tech2, not so much
3. VCX uses USB not the antiquated RS232 interface. I don't even have a machine with RS232 anymore so I have to use a stupid/unreliable USB -> RS232 adapter to use the TECH 2 with my machines
4. VCX can also be a wifi model - cool in that you can use the VCX on your car while operating it from a remote machine over wifi. That is pretty damn cool and allows you to pop the VCX on and go inside where its warm/to watch a game etc while working on your car.
5. VCX is MUCH cheaper
6. VCX feels higher quality to me
7. VCX includes software for early cars (Tech2Win) and the most recent cars (DSG2)
8. VCX is not as bulky with all of the crap cables and such that come with the Tech2
9. VCX IS MUCH FASTER (I think it has a faster interface and internal components)

I just used my VCX to do the ABS brake bleed on my 2004 Escalade ESV this weekend - it was a dream. Go ahead with the old Tech2 if that is what you already have, but for folks just getting a tool now or looking to upgrade, I would def go with the VCX for sure.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have both the VCX and a Tech2 and the VCX is hands down a MUCH better tool. Here are the top reasons:

1. VCX works on Windows 7,8 and 10 - Tech2 needs Windows XP to work reliably and on my machine that means I need to run it in a VM machine
2. VCX works on multiple vehicle - almost all major brands. Tech2, not so much
3. VCX uses USB not the antiquated RS232 interface. I don't even have a machine with RS232 anymore so I have to use a stupid/unreliable USB -> RS232 adapter to use the TECH 2 with my machines
4. VCX can also be a wifi model - cool in that you can use the VCX on your car while operating it from a remote machine over wifi. That is pretty damn cool and allows you to pop the VCX on and go inside where its warm/to watch a game etc while working on your car.
5. VCX is MUCH cheaper
6. VCX feels higher quality to me
7. VCX includes software for early cars (Tech2Win) and the most recent cars (DSG2)
8. VCX is not as bulky with all of the crap cables and such that come with the Tech2
9. VCX IS MUCH FASTER (I think it has a faster interface and internal components)

I just used my VCX to do the ABS brake bleed on my 2004 Escalade ESV this weekend - it was a dream. Go ahead with the old Tech2 if that is what you already have, but for folks just getting a tool now or looking to upgrade, I would def go with the VCX for sure.
Now this is a proper comparison. You have both units and have actually compared the two back to back.

I also like that it can interface with the newer DSG2 software and can be used to service other makes. Not a bad deal when you put it all together, therefore I may actually get a VCX unit when I upgrade to a newer GM vehicle.

My Tech2 software is on a handheld programmer so the window operating system do not apply to me, but I can see how having software that works with the latest Windows 10 is a bonus. My GM service manual needs a VM virtual drive to function in XP, so I know how much of a pain that is to use.

The VCX does sounds like the better option when you lay out all of the features, especially the multi-make platform and being able to interface with the late model GM diagnostic software.

You got me sold.:D

Reactions: deathpulse

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
I like the stand alone aspects of my Tech2 and not have to mess with a bulky laptop. Not everybody has a laptop so add that to the price of using a VCX.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like the stand alone aspects of my Tech2 and not have to mess with a bulky laptop. Not everybody has a laptop so add that to the price of using a VCX.
Keep in mind, if you buy the "Wifi" version of the VCX, you may not need to have a laptop because you can connect the VCX to a computer via Wifi. Having said that, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do an ABS Brake Bleed procedure (for instance) with a setup like that. Overall though, the flexibility (most manufacturers are supported for most vehicle years right out of the box) and compatibility with more modern standards (USB and/or Wifi vs RS232) really make this a great device at a much lower price point. I am glad I made the switch. For those folks that don't already have a laptop, I would consider getting the $100 range VCX with a used/cheap laptop in the $150 range like this lenovo: http://www.microcenter.com/product/483727/Ideapad_110_15_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black (for a total of $250 to $350) vs. a Tech2 at this point and come away with a GREAT scanner/programmer AND a decent entry level laptop.

I have no skin in the game in what you choose, just trying to give a good perspective on our choices as consumers :). It is GREAT to have options!!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Keep in mind, if you buy the "Wifi" version of the VCX, you may not need to have a laptop because you can connect the VCX to a computer via Wifi. Having said that, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do an ABS Brake Bleed procedure (for instance) with a setup like that. Overall though, the flexibility (most manufacturers are supported for most vehicle years right out of the box) and compatibility with more modern standards (USB and/or Wifi vs RS232) really make this a great device at a much lower price point. I am glad I made the switch. For those folks that don't already have a laptop, I would consider getting the $100 range VCX with a used/cheap laptop in the $150 range like this lenovo: http://www.microcenter.com/product/483727/Ideapad_110_15_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black (for a total of $250 to $350) vs. a Tech2 at this point and come away with a GREAT scanner/programmer AND a decent entry level laptop.

I have no skin in the game in what you choose, just trying to give a good perspective on our choices as consumers :). It is GREAT to have options!!
Thanks for the information. I will purchase a VCX since I just purchased a 2014 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 w/premium II package. I will use my Tech 2 for my Escalade and the VCX on the Buick.

Reactions: deathpulse

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
Thanks for the information. I will purchase a VCX since I just purchased a 2014 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 w/premium II package. I will use my Tech 2 for my Escalade and the VCX on the Buick.
I'm betting you'll use the VCX on both once you get it.

·
Registered
2005 escalade
4 Posts
Hey guys/gals i purchased a vcx nano w/wifi and im starting to feel like i got bad device. The tutorials on how to set this thing up is beyond comprehension (at least for me) no verbal steps just a screen shot of someone installing the software! Im not a IT guy but i have installed other software without any problems. My question ; is there any other instructions besides the YouTube that i could use to get this gizmo working

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,151 Posts
Is there anything the VCX Nano cannot do that the Tech2 can? It might be time to sell my Tech2 and buy a VCX.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,316 Posts
Hey guys/gals i purchased a vcx nano w/wifi and im starting to feel like i got bad device. The tutorials on how to set this thing up is beyond comprehension (at least for me) no verbal steps just a screen shot of someone installing the software! Im not a IT guy but i have installed other software without any problems. My question ; is there any other instructions besides the YouTube that i could use to get this gizmo working
First install vxmanager. It's like the driver and must be running when you use the device. You will notice it shows the device is connected (USB/WiFi).

Then you need the GM Tech 2 Win software installed. That's it, launch VXmanager then launch Tech 2 Win and it works like using a Tech II.

I'm going by memory so part of this may be less than accurate.

·
Registered
2005 escalade
4 Posts
Gonna give that a try! Thanks ! They should hire you to do a tutorial for them aka "vcx nano for dummys" lol Do i have to get the license from GM for the tech 2 to work properly?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts