Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tech-2

I have been researching on the "fake" tech-2's and have found a pdf on how to spot the fakes for those of us who want to get one on line or on eBay
http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/CloneTech2.pdf

Now I have ordered me one from here
http://www.chinacardiag.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scannerworks-for-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden-1011.html
By going by the pdf it looks like it's the real deal but I will give it a good look over before plugging it into my truck but by looking at the pics it looks like the real deal
I should be getting it on the 15th
If it doesn't work or is in fact a clone then I will return it and wait for a used hp model

Also for those who are wondering the company called vetronix made the tech-1 and the software for the tech-2 then when hp sold the rights back to vetronix who made them till Bosch bought them out

·
Registered
04 Cadillac SRX 4.6 Northstar AWD
38 Posts
For that price it is a clone for sure! A real Tech 2 would cost around $2000 for a used one without the candi module.
I just got the same one you have ordered. Yes it's a clone but it works fine and for less the a quarter of the price it's a good alternative.

I did by the one with the case instead of the cardboard version. Good luck with your Tech 2!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fhogeweg said:
For that price it is a clone for sure! A real Tech 2 would cost around $2000 for a used one without the candi module. I just got the same one you have ordered. Yes it's a clone but it works fine and for less the a quarter of the price it's a good alternative. I did by the one with the case instead of the cardboard version. Good luck with your Tech 2!
I have seen them on Amazon for about 5 grand

I also am getting the one with the case

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Re: Tech-2

No question it's a fake.

They are advertised all the time on eBay or you can buy them directly from China.

One seller in China had this description with the Tech 2 for sale:

"This GM TECH2 we sell is not original ,it is COPY ONE(MADE IN CHIAN), please note this .Before u order this product ,u should know this clearly .
And after u receive, please do not open dispute reason of “Counterfeit product” .OR please do not buy it .Because
we both know original will cost thousand dollars.
GM TECH2 Copy one ,can not update online yourself ."

On guy got a year in jail for selling them on eBay. Not because they were fake...but because they had the 'GM' logo on them.
So jail plus he was sued by GM and GM won the full cost of every Tech 2 he sold (hundreds).

There are fake GM MDI units too.

When a fake one quits....you toss it out. Bosch will not fix them. Also, because of the fakes, Bosch quit its Tech 2 exchange program for repairs.

The real fire sale was when all the GM and Saturn dealers were closing. I bought 2 real ones for $1100.

There are GM, Saturn, Saab, Opel and Vauxhall logo versions. There are HP, Aligent, Vertronix, and Bosch versions. Also Mac Tool and OTC versions.

And....Vetronix made the Tech1 and Tech1a and the software. HP was the original producer of the Tech 2 using Vetronix software...then Vetronix bought out the
Tech 2 rights from HP....then Bosch bought it from Vetronix.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Logandiagnostic said:
No question it's a fake. They are advertised all the time on eBay or you can buy them directly from China. One seller in China had this description with the Tech 2 for sale: "This GM TECH2 we sell is not original ,it is COPY ONE(MADE IN CHIAN), please note this .Before u order this product ,u should know this clearly . And after u receive, please do not open dispute reason of “Counterfeit product” .OR please do not buy it .Because we both know original will cost thousand dollars. GM TECH2 Copy one ,can not update online yourself ." On guy got a year in jail for selling them on eBay. Not because they were fake...but because they had the 'GM' logo on them. So jail plus he was sued by GM and GM won the full cost of every Tech 2 he sold (hundreds). There are fake GM MDI units too. When a fake one quits....you toss it out. Bosch will not fix them. Also, because of the fakes, Bosch quit its Tech 2 exchange program for repairs. The real fire sale was when all the GM and Saturn dealers were closing. I bought 2 real ones for $1100. There are GM, Saturn, Saab, Opel and Vauxhall logo versions. There are HP, Aligent, Vertronix, and Bosch versions. Also Mac Tool versions. And....Vetronix made the Tech1 and Tech1a and the software. HP was the original producer of the Tech 2 using Vetronix software...then Vetronix bought out the Tech 2 rights from HP....then Bosch bought it from Vetronix.
Thanks for the info
I figured it was a fake but if it works at least I can probe for codes without needing to go to my local dealer(one give away was the numbers on the back the rest looks pretty darn like the real unit)
I have spotted and can spot the fakes on ebay(close but clearly clones)(the ebay ones are clearly easy to spot despite the seller claiming it's real)

If it does kick the bucket I will save up and get a hp unit(that's the one my local dealer uses)
Not sure if the cables would work with the real unit or not but it wouldn't matter if the hp unit comes with its own cables unless Bosch units has newer hardware

What would be the latest version(hardware wise) on these?
I ain't worried about the price(nor the loss if this one quits)
I am kinda wondering if getting one on Amazon would be a wise choice(seen one on there for around 4-5 grand) kinda wery about dropping the cash on it through them if it is in fact a fake

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I'm not positive...but I think 2014 models are the end of the road for the Tech 2 and software. They seem pretty slow today compared to when they came out in '96.
After 2014 you'll need a GM MDI.

On eBay...by far more fakes then real ones. It's one thing when you know you are buying a fake. It's different if you think you are buying a real one
for thousands of dollars...only to find out latter it is actually a fake one.

As for do they work...some claim they work fine...some claim they die after a couple of months...others claim they burn up modules etc.
I personally have never held or used a fake one, being I actually have a real one. But plenty of info on Google.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Not positive...but I think 2014 is the last vehicle year for the Tech 2 and software. After that you would need a GM MDI.

By far more fakes on eBay than real ones. Even I have to look carefully to figure out the fakes. It's one thing when you know you are buying a fake for a
few hundred dollars...it's different when you think you bought a real one for thousands of dollars...only to find out latter it is in fact a fake.

As for do they work?...some claim they work fine...some claim they work for a few months and die...others claim they burn up modules.
I personally have never used or held a fake one, being I have a real one. But plenty of info can be found on Google.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Logandiagnostic said:
Not positive...but I think 2014 is the last vehicle year for the Tech 2 and software. After that you would need a GM MDI. By far more fakes on eBay than real ones. Even I have to look carefully to figure out the fakes. It's one thing when you know you are buying a fake for a few hundred dollars...it's different when you think you bought a real one for thousands of dollars...only to find out latter it is in fact a fake. As for do they work?...some claim they work fine...some claim they work for a few months and die...others claim they burn up modules. I personally have never used or held a fake one, being I have a real one. But plenty of info can be found on Google.
I was told by the service manager that 2014 is the last year that the tech-2 will work with them it's the mdi only(then you still have certain 2014 models not working with the tech-2)

I first thought the one I have linked to was a real deal(it is very convincing) but what gave it away as a fake is the support number sticker(number is different then what's on the company site)otherwise it looks exactly the same as the real deal
I went by the pdf I linked to in order to tell(the ebay fakes are easy to pick out if you know what to look for)

I am avoiding ebay altogether for this stuff as it's just too risky really given the cost(I just am concerned about getting one via Amazon if I do get one from there)

Currently all the gm vehicles I work on is older and will work with the tech-2
Now if I plan on getting a 2015 escalade then I will worry about the mdi then(which surprisingly you can get fakes of them also)
I plan on comparing mine when I get it to my local dealers unit and see just how close it is to the real thing

The module burning is what has me concerned the most(the rest I wouldn't be so worried about)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

The 10mb and 32mb software cards are going away. When the Tech 2 came in '96 those alone were a huge leap.
Before that you had to buy new $$$ cartridges (Tech 1) or use a MSC which was a upgradeable cartridge using a GM dealer Techline PC and CD.
Sounds crude these days...but in '93-94 most people didn't even own a PC...and no internet.

With the MDI you'll need to purchase a software subscription.

I have heard the new software is able to detect fakes and be locked. But I have not seen this done..

There is a youtube video of a guy opening a MDI from China...with no communications card in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofNTII3y2kI

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I watched the video and I hope everything that it shows as being part of the package I ordered will be in the box
Missing parts is never a good thing

Hmm I doubt I will need the computer software but never know(it is included though)Just will have to see if it blocks it or not

----------

Also(not sure on this) but will it work with a 92 Buick century ?
The rest are all 02-03 that I will be using it with(2 escalades and a hummer h2)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

It should work on the 1992 with the OBDI adapter. The software should work all the way back to 1981 GM vehicles.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Logandiagnostic said:
It should work on the 1992 with the OBDI adapter. The software should work all the way back to 1981 GM vehicles.
Ok thanks for clearing that up
I never seen my dealer use the one they have on a older car so I didn't know for sure if it did and the rumors online can be a bit confusing as to if it will or not
It does have the obd-1 adaptor and a few others aside from the one-2 adaptor
I will post pics when I get it as to what all it is coming with

----------

I forgot to ask
On the software how do I tell if it's the latest version?

Also I found out how the tech-2 can ruin modules is when you don't have a good ground(a bad ground can cause the voltage spike) I read that in a Saab forum(they say it happens even with the real tech-2 also)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

When the Tech 2 is powered up. The home screen will display the software version # and if the Candi module is connected.

Please be aware that most pictures related to fake Tech 2s are a couple of years old. (Vetronix phone number label etc)...at least many people
are now aware that there are..in fact..fake Tech 2s. That was not really the case 2-3 years ago.

I would never spend $5k for a Tech 2 from Amazon. I did see the one listed there and it is suspect.
All Amazon does is store the unit on a shelf...you order it...they ship it. That said..Amazon does have pretty much a no-questions-asked return policy.

Not true with Rock Auto....recently bought some Delphi O2 sensors from them....turns out they were actually
Bosch sensors with Delphi stickers on the shipping packages. "Sorry...but those only had a 30 day warranty " is what I got from Rock Auto
....I did email Delphi... and they were interested in my story. No question a bait-and-switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

So advertised online as Delphi....receipt shows Delphi...baggie has 'Delphi' sticker....

But in reality they are Bosch. Picture shows old Delphi sensor in front....Rock Auto 'Delphi' sensor in baggie in back....with Bosch laser etching. Classic bait-and-switch

Attachments

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I won't be getting the one from Amazon

I may see if my local dealer ever decides to retire the hp unit they have about getting it(it may be a older unit but it would be the real deal at least)

It's crazy on the parts man I have seen that happen before(and why I got my brake and rotor package from Amazon and not rock auto)

I will be posting pics of my tech-2 when I get it(the pics on the site really can trick you if you didn't know how to tell before hand)
I read the story of the guy who resold the clone units(glad they got him for doing it) found it on a Saab forum where a few members were posting about this same topic(some with good results with the clone tech-2 units)

I have seen clones of stuff(smart phones are normally the easiest to spot) and some really look so much like the real deal it's crazy but the performance between the clones can vary greatly but these tech-2 clones are almost impossible to spot unless you already knew about it

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts

As for do they work...some claim they work fine...some claim they die after a couple of months...others claim they burn up modules etc.
I personally have never held or used a fake one, being I actually have a real one. But plenty of info on Google.
That was my big fear when in the position of making a decision between real and fake 8 years ago when I bought mine. The fakes sure have come down in price though, I have to admit that it would be tempting to take a gamble at that price. The fakes were close to $1000 back when I was shopping for them.

After thinking about it for a little bit I bit the bullet and held out for a real one at a decent price. I ended up with a unit fresh out of refurb from a garage/shop. It cost me about two grand but I scrutinized it thoroughly and couldn't find a tell-tale fake indicator. Eight years later, hundreds of hookups on mine and my friends vehicles and it's going strong. Now I just need to get some updated software (mine is up through 2007).

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wake said:
That was my big fear when in the position of making a decision between real and fake 8 years ago when I bought mine. The fakes sure have come down in price though, I have to admit that it would be tempting to take a gamble at that price. The fakes were close to $1000 back when I was shopping for them. After thinking about it for a little bit I bit the bullet and held out for a real one at a decent price. I ended up with a unit fresh out of refurb from a garage/shop. It cost me about two grand but I scrutinized it thoroughly and couldn't find a tell-tale fake indicator. Eight years later, hundreds of hookups on mine and my friends vehicles and it's going strong. Now I just need to get some updated software (mine is up through 2007).
If the one I am getting(it is a clone) does crap out then I will hold out and get a used or refurb unit from my local dealer as it is so handy to be able to have one just to pull codes from the various modules in the truck(seat module is a good exsample)
I know what to look for in the clones so I know how to spot one easy,
The software is one thing the hardware is another when it comes to the clone units(some claim they do as good as the real deal some not so good)
Heck I may talk to the service manager at my dealer and see what deal he could get me on a refurb unit as I have to go there tomorrow

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it today and will upload a few pics in a bit

Buzzkill is they sent a bad pcmcia card(DOH) otherwise the unit powers up and passes post test so that's a good sign

·
Registered
'05 Escallade ESV Plat., '16 Z51 Corvette, '03 Avalanche, 12 Lexus IS350C
155 Posts
Looks like I may be getting a Tech 2 to service my '05 ESV and maybe my Vette.
I seen a link a couple times here in the forum, but it's not working for me today.

There appear to be many people selling the clones, but offer various options and price ranges.
I wouldn't mind getting one with a case, but it's not a necessity.

I take it, the programming for GM comes on the 32mb memory card.

Any suggestions on an exact place to buy or options to make sure are included?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts