Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided not to do the allante style 5 liter project. I dont know how it will react with california emmisions since i will be moving there next summer.

So im going to rebuild the bottm end since that where most of the issues are.

The #1 sevice main bearing and all the other main bearings are here now , along with all the gaskets for down there and the timing cover areas....and a new timing chain , just for fun ....and peace of mind with 147k on the odo ....

will be takeing pictures of teardown of and the mains ....

according to the techs they firmly belive the valvetrain is ok , tho they havent looked at it ....ive been worried about camshaft wear ....any thoughts? i beleive its roller ...but ya know ...worry wort and all ....id have to pull the engine to do the cam tho ....really dont want to ....

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Camshaft wear will not be a problem at all. You'll notice that there will be some microspalling (tiny little pits) on the cam, but to my understanding, this is quite normal for a roller cam setup like the 4,.9 liter has and the microspalling is present from the very first time the engine is started (B**b told me this). You can re-use the cam, lifters, and probably even the cam bearings without any trouble at all. When I rebuilt my 4.5 liter for my '87 Seville, I used the same cam, lifters (don't mix the lifters up!) and the cam bearings. The engine runs like a raped ape without any wierd noises at all.

For the main bearing issue, make sure you get them from the dealership because they'll know exactly which ones to give you. The dealer you work for Stoney would be a great start for this: good bearings at a discounted price. That said, the one thing I neglected to get was the service replacement from the dealer, but the place I had the crankshaft polished at assured me that they matched everything up correctly and I haven't heard a peep from the bottom end yet.

I'm sure you know to replace the timing gears and chain, along with the distributor gear. The oil pump will likely be fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. For the rest of the rebuild, should you have any questions, please ask me and I can be of great help. I've done these engines too many times...

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
illumina said:
Camshaft wear will not be a problem at all. You'll notice that there will be some microspalling (tiny little pits) on the cam, but to my understanding, this is quite normal for a roller cam setup like the 4,.9 liter has and the microspalling is present from the very first time the engine is started (B**b told me this). You can re-use the cam, lifters, and probably even the cam bearings without any trouble at all. When I rebuilt my 4.5 liter for my '87 Seville, I used the same cam, lifters (don't mix the lifters up!) and the cam bearings. The engine runs like a raped ape without any wierd noises at all.

For the main bearing issue, make sure you get them from the dealership because they'll know exactly which ones to give you. The dealer you work for Stoney would be a great start for this: good bearings at a discounted price. That said, the one thing I neglected to get was the service replacement from the dealer, but the place I had the crankshaft polished at assured me that they matched everything up correctly and I haven't heard a peep from the bottom end yet.

I'm sure you know to replace the timing gears and chain, along with the distributor gear. The oil pump will likely be fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. For the rest of the rebuild, should you have any questions, please ask me and I can be of great help. I've done these engines too many times...
got all the bearings and stuff sitting right here , got them from work ...

you know i hadnt given much thought to the distributor.....

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
got all the bearings and stuff sitting right here , got them from work ...

you know i hadnt given much thought to the distributor.....
Did you get them for a good deal? Also, are you changing the piston rings and such?

Man it sounds like you're about to have fun! I don't know if you know it or not, but I just got me a new project car, an '89 Deville. The car is a good condition for the price: $400.00. All she really needs to roll is a new wheel bearing assembly. There's a place around my area that should sell brand new units for cheap.

And for the distributor, yeah, I would change the gear on that one. I think the gear is like $10.00 or something, and well worth it. New parts never hurt, especially when they're fairly cheap.

Good luck and hope it all goes well :cool:

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
illumina said:
Did you get them for a good deal? Also, are you changing the piston rings and such?

Man it sounds like you're about to have fun! I don't know if you know it or not, but I just got me a new project car, an '89 Deville. The car is a good condition for the price: $400.00. All she really needs to roll is a new wheel bearing assembly. There's a place around my area that should sell brand new units for cheap.

And for the distributor, yeah, I would change the gear on that one. I think the gear is like $10.00 or something, and well worth it. New parts never hurt, especially when they're fairly cheap.

Good luck and hope it all goes well :cool:
naw , she runs to good and to clean for me to think about pullin the heads or re ringing it ....just fixing the bottom end ....

but im gonna look into replaceing the whole distributor , i bet the bushings are getting a litle loose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts