Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS (Galaxy Silver)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Seville STS....tapping noise when cold...subsides when engine heats up....checked oil and seems alright. Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.:crybaby:

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
39 Posts
My engine always seems to tap its been that way forever. I read ur thread wrong for some reason I was thinking it said shakes when cold hahah but mone does that too.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
mine has done the same thing for years but after its warm it stops. BTW im kinda new what does WOT stand for?

Wide Open Throttle.
First, go up into the black bar ^^^ and read/study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the article "Occasional full throttle is good for your..................". In that article there is also a discussion concerning "cold carbon rap" as it applies to Northstars. Now, go down to Discussions: Technical Tips and begin reading. You'll find the answers and procedures for just about ANY question you may have concerning your car. Then, Google "cadillac forums wide open throttle northstar". Click on links of interest.

The Northstar engine was designed as a Lotus racing engine, then altered by GM for general automotive use. It NEEDS to be run and run hard. If it's subjected to constant in-town driving its arteries clog up and it gets cranky and lazy. The perfect "wake up call" for a Northstar is a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON in a fillup of Shell, Texaco, or Chevron 93 octane, a LONG (200 mile) highway run along with a few WOT's here and there during the trip. A sneaky run to 125 wouldn't hurt it, either. (IF you have the correct tires on the car. SLS, ELC and Base/DHS are speed limited to 110 mph, but the engine will still rev to 6,300 in 1st and 2nd. The speed limiter kicks in in 3rd.)

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts

Wide Open Throttle.
First, go up into the black bar ^^^ and read/study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the article "Occasional full throttle is good for your..................". In that article there is also a discussion concerning "cold carbon rap" as it applies to Northstars. Now, go down to Discussions: Technical Tips and begin reading. You'll find the answers and procedures for just about ANY question you may have concerning your car. Then, Google "cadillac forums wide open throttle northstar". Click on links of interest.

The Northstar engine was designed as a Lotus racing engine, then altered by GM for general automotive use. It NEEDS to be run and run hard. If it's subjected to constant in-town driving its arteries clog up and it gets cranky and lazy. The perfect "wake up call" for a Northstar is a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON in a fillup of Shell, Texaco, or Chevron 93 octane, a LONG (200 mile) highway run along with a few WOT's here and there during the trip. A sneaky run to 125 wouldn't hurt it, either. (IF you have the correct tires on the car. SLS, ELC and Base/DHS are speed limited to 110 mph, but the engine will still rev to 6,300 in 1st and 2nd. The speed limiter kicks in in 3rd.)
That's the first time I've heard you mention that. That's pretty freaking cool.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
Google "lotus northstar engine".

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Then, Google "cadillac forums wide open throttle northstar". Click on links of interest.

.....if that doesn't work paste this in a Google search box: site:cadillacforums.com wide open throttle northstar

Note the syntax for future searches.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/217095-how-search-quickly-efficiently.html

more on that 'line of attack' - specifically note my posts in that thread about the 'search plugin' if you don't like to type out that site: stuff each time you search

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
39 Posts

Wide Open Throttle.

I saw something that said you have to run these engines hard but I didnt believe it haha Ive always driven mine with care and haven't been full throttle because I thought that was bad. I always read that when the SLS and STS came out it was the most powerful front wheel drive car in the world. I did however today and yesterday give it all it had and It seems to be running smoother and less ornery. Thanks for the Info!!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
There's nothing like the sound and pull of a Northstar. And as much fun as it is for you, it is for the motor too. How can you resist?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
i had no idea that the Northstar was built for the lotus orginialy wow im going to google and read up on that

but now that im hitting 6500 miles on the new engine
im about to run it with techron and a full tanke of Shell v-power just to clean it up and going to hit WOT a few of them on the way to the D this weekend

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Now is it bad to do a couple WOT's when you have a small oil leak??
im not sure if its bad with an oil leak
not sure what it could damage
now if there was more then just an oil leak then yes it could damage something possibly be bad but just oil i dont think it would be a problem but others will chime in im sure

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Not unless it's something like a valve cover not tightened down good. Normal small leaks from the half seal or oil pan gasket will not be affected by driving the car hard. Like Sub said, these motors do not like to be babied. They were built to run. If not exercised occasionally they will build up carbon and run very rough.

To do a proper WOT: Find a safe, quiet, open stretch of road were you have plenty of room to hit 80-85 MPH and slow back down safely. Place the shifter in 2nd gear. Take off from a complete stop and roll into the throttle, quickly putting the pedal to the floor. The car will rev to redline and then shift quickly and firmly. A chirp of the tires may accompany the shift. Run 2nd gear to redline and then completely take your foot off the gas. Allow the transmission to slow the car back down to around 30mph.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
Unless the engine has incredible piston ring blowby there is no more "pressure" in the crankcase and valve covers at 6,300 rpm than there is at idle.

Yes, racing engines use exhaust system pulse extractors and vacuum pumps to evacuate the crankcase. That's not to stop oil leaks - that's to cut down on as much crankshaft windage as possible, gaining a half hp or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts